Public urged to install MorChana Application

webfact

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

This must be an updated version, the current one doesn't use BlueTooth (there's no update available either).

When you install it only give it location and bluetooth access "when the app is active", but in reality does it really matter who knows where your phone is? Google tracks it 24/7 anyway (assuming Android, who really knows what Apple do).

It is rather more convenient than using your QR scanner and the website, it's a lot faster and you don't have to scan when you exit the location, just hit "Check Out".

But, at least at present, it's entirely up to you.

Interesting. When you said, "you don't have to scan when you exit the location, just hit "Check Out"", do you mean need to do that with the MorChana app as well as the ThaiChana? I thought it was all-singing-all-dancing?

I'm 'guessing' here, the reason it wants to use bluetooth (only a 10-30m-ish range) is to detect other app users close by, then hopefully calculate any risk associated with that.

Also you said, "location and bluetooth access "when the app is active"". Can you deactivate it, or will it - like some other apps - just start itself up again?

I looked at some of the MorChana user comments on Android Playstore, a couple of them were complaining it drained the battery too much via bluetooth use. Whether that is adjustable, I wouldn't know.

29 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Dear Confused of Bangkok,

It was definitely the MorChana app I was referring to regarding bluetooth and the user comments about excessive battery use, hence my querying about being able to disable it.

Not that I've installed yet, being a hermit.

Yours,

Disgusted Tunbridge Wells

Hi Disgusted.

As installed it wants Camera, Location, Physical activity, Storage (all of which my phone auto-denied) nothing about BlueTooth (which I do have enabled for my headset). It just wants too much personal information for me to let it run.

Confused

14 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Number 6, The Prisoner. 1967. 

hui.jpg

Ah! Patrick McGoohan. I still have the complete series of seventeen episodes.

I remember there was never any constipation, as there was always a new Number 2 every week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Hi Disgusted.

As installed it wants Camera, Location, Physical activity, Storage (all of which my phone auto-denied) nothing about BlueTooth (which I do have enabled for my headset). It just wants too much personal information for me to let it run.

Confused

OK, I can only quote what I read about it last night. I've just had another look again:

A few of the reviews mentioned MorChana had too much battery usage.

One person said you can save you battery when at home by disabling bluetooth, but don't forget to enable it when you go out. [Hence my earlier comment about bluetooth]

A lot reviewers said it used too much battery and wanted to access your GPS constantly, not only when running.

What does "Physical activity' cover? (Will I regret asking that?)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

What does "Physical activity' cover? (Will I regret asking that?)

Probably!

I actually have no idea what "Physical activity" is all about, never seen an App ask for it before.

I'll stick with the ThaiChana app, I rarely go to the sort of places that spread the bug anyway (although I did ride the BTS this morning, it was empty).

Government spokesman Thaweesin Visanuyothin said that a new order from the government has been implemented and has made it mandatory to socially distance, wear a mask, and to use a tracing application.

Those who are found with Covid-19 and not using the tracing applications could face punishment by law.

by law now. enjoy! yours sincerely, big brother.

src: https://www.thaienquirer.com/22554/thailand-discovers-305-new-coronavirus-infections/

8 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

Government spokesman Thaweesin Visanuyothin said that a new order from the government has been implemented and has made it mandatory to socially distance, wear a mask, and to use a tracing application.

Those who are found with Covid-19 and not using the tracing applications could face punishment by law.

by law now. enjoy! yours sincerely, big brother.

src: https://www.thaienquirer.com/22554/thailand-discovers-305-new-coronavirus-infections/

That is frightening.

Assuming it isn't false news from the government (no gambling dens in Rayong or Bangkok, etc).

Am I taking it to extremes now...

Will we see those in hospital with covid be charged for 'wilfully not buying a mobile phone', or one 'not up to date enough to run the required government app'?

Never mind not being tech savvy enough to install and operate one, or even 'negligently allowing their battery to go flat'?

Big Brother IS watching you.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Hi Disgusted.

Confused

When I installed Thai Channa, it just asked for camera permission so I could scan QR codes. Pretty sure it never asked for GPS/location. My understanding of Thai Channa is its a simple scan in and out of a location, its registered with your phone number so they can call you.

Mor Channa is more invasive and live time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sungod said:

When I installed Thai Channa, it just asked for camera permission so I could scan QR codes. Pretty sure it never asked for GPS/location.

Mine definitely has Location permission (when the app is running) no idea if it actually uses it. Yes it's Thaichana (with the blue fist icon).

• Like 1