New Car Ferry Service Songkhla - Chonburi

phuketsub

The Daily News has reported that that all systems are 'go' for a new car ferry service linking Songkhla with Sattahip Port in Chonburi Province, not far from the  infamous tourist town of Pattaya ('You can come whenever you want!). 

According to the article, the project is a joint venture between Thailand's Port Authority and the Source Ferry Company, which has already purchased the Blue Dolphin ferry second-hand from a port in Hokkaido Japan.

The 330-tonne vessel is 336 meters long and can fit 80 pickups, 20 cars and 586 passengers, according to the report. 

It has a cruising speed of 17knots and can complete the 519km voyage in 18-20 hours. It has cabins, elevators, dining areas. 

The service should be a godsend for people wanting to travel by car between Thailand's south and eastern seaboard regions without the nightmare 24-hour drive though the nation's infamous traffic chaos. 

According to the report the vessel is already in Thailand and under repair.

Photos provided in the original story show the vessel as appearing clean and high-tech, though it was not stated when the photos were taken. 

The service is expected to be launched in February or March.

Company representatives said  the pricing structure has yet to be determined.

daily news article.jpg

Edited by phuketsub
bad grammar
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, phuketsub said:

According to the article, the project is a joint venture between Thailand's Port Authority and the Source Ferry Company, which has already purchased the Blue Dolphin ferry second-hand 

According to the report the vessel is already in Thailand and under repair.

Methinks I will give it a miss...????

• Like 1

So at 336 metres it's longer than the UK's new aircraft carriers and almost as long as the Queen Mary 2 ocean liner, according to the Daily News.

The one tootling about off Laem Chabang recently appears to be 137m long going by this info which to me seems a bit more believable:

https://www.fleetmon.com/vessels/the-blue-dolphin_9100437_3061717/#tab-datasheet

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, treetops said:

So at 336 metres it's longer than the UK's new aircraft carriers and almost as long as the Queen Mary 2 ocean liner, according to the Daily News.

And:

On 1/20/2021 at 7:12 AM, phuketsub said:

330-tonne vessel

336 m long and 330 tonnes.

Is it styrofoam.

:cheesy::cheesy:

Thai news and numbers, garbage as garbage can.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2021 at 8:26 AM, VocalNeal said:

I wish them well. Trucks maybe their main customer. Eastern Seabord to Songkhla eliminates the needs for an overnight road journey. 

My first thought was that it would benefit semi-truck transportation. The demand for passenger and private car, transport would be minimal IMO. Pricing will be a very important factor as to whether it's popular. Maybe not enough revenue to make it a success.

You have two offshore oil industry bases of operations, soon to be connected by ferry.

Sounds like a good idea to me.  The oilfield equipment will be the equivalent of the first class passengers in an airline analogy, probably paying a premium.  Then they'll fill the "cheap seats" with cars and passengers to absorb overhead.  Like economy class.

As a bonus, the roads between SHP and SKL will be less crowded...  Including the roads in BKK.  Plus, there's a lot of oilfield equipment too big for the roads, that's already going by dedicated boat, (and getting bent over the table for the privilege).

Unless they're thinking that cars and passengers could stand alone.  That would be doubtful.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, impulse said:

You have two offshore oil industry bases of operations, soon to be connected by ferry.

Sounds like a good idea to me.  The oilfield equipment will be the equivalent of the first class passengers in an airline analogy, probably paying a premium.  Then they'll fill the "cheap seats" with cars and passengers to absorb overhead.  Like economy class.

As a bonus, the roads between SHP and SKL will be less crowded...  Including the roads in BKK.  Plus, there's a lot of oilfield equipment too big for the roads, that's already going by dedicated boat, (and getting bent over the table for the privilege).

Unless they're thinking that cars and passengers could stand alone.  That would be doubtful.

Impulse, you are correct in that it's two major bases but I thought it was gas platforms in the Gulf of Thailand serviced by Songkhla and Sattahip? 

I can see the synergy of a ferry connecting the two locations for the natural resource industry. Both of which are served well by helicopter (although many helo operations moved to Nakhon Si Thammarat in the early 2010's).

IMO cars and passengers only are a non-starter. Freight is where the money's at.

Just now, soi3eddie said:

Impulse, you are correct in that it's two major bases but I thought it was gas platforms in the Gulf of Thailand serviced by Songkhla and Sattahip? 

I can see the synergy of a ferry connecting the two locations for the natural resource industry. Both of which are served well by helicopter (although many helo operations moved to Nakhon Si Thammarat in the early 2010's).

IMO cars and passengers only are a non-starter. Freight is where the money's at.

Mostly gas, but we had oil platforms out of SKL.  That activity has decline significantly with the price of oil and shenanigans of the Thai gub'ment.   But there's still some oil.

Either way- oil or gas, a lot of the equipment like separators, surge tanks, gensets, workover rigs, etc.  were just too big for the roads.  Also, if they're linked by ferry at a reasonable price and schedule, service companies can keep inventory in one base or the other, instead of having to double up in both SKL and SHP.

Some powerful folks stand to lose a lot of captive business if this ferry comes to fruition.  So we'll see...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

That's why this project looks better (to me) than Pattaya to Hua Hin or to Samui.

Edit:  Especially when there's oil companies involved,   We're accustomed to huge freight bills to expedite deliveries.  Like chartering a 747 cargo plane to get it a month faster than by boat...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I was down at Sattahip dockyard on Saturday and saw a big new ferry terminal building and 3 or 4 ferry ramps. All brand new and never used. I'm assuming it was built with the Songkhla service in plans. Is there a similar new facility in Songkhla? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I believe this is the boat.  Pretty sure the pic is from Sattahip, taken recently....

We only saw the navy ships. No ferries docked. I should have taken a picture of the terminal but security guard wasn't happy with us riding to the end of the pier by the ferry ramps. Google satellite view here. Shows the ferry terminal under construction (marked Ferry). They have now constructed a pier and ramps into the water at the bottom of the screen. Looked ready to use IMO.

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

parts of the "highway" are terrible

The North-South highway is under rolling repairs, there's always several sections of the 900km from Hat Yai to Bangkok that are being resurfaced. Then there are the bits that are desperately in need of repair!

If only they cracked on and upgraded the old single track railway from Bangkok to the Malaysian border it would take a lot of the heavy goods traffic off the roads. 

Pattaya to Koh Lanta

Is anything on Koh Lanta open?  It's bad enough in low season.

Edited by Stocky

14 hours ago, Stocky said:

Is anything on Koh Lanta open?  It's bad enough in low season.

It's very quiet here, but some places are open. But not many.

We're happy as we're here to just relax. Up early for morning walks and in bed early also. Prices are fantastic for hotels.

• Like 1