Vaccine campaign may not kick off on Feb 14 due to delay in delivery

snoop1130

4 hours ago, johnarth said:

an obvious question, the general said the private sector can import vaccines? how if the government can not?

Maybe because there are a few people with some intelligence and some drive & ambition in the private sector.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sambum said:

"The first batch of AstraZeneca vaccine for Thailand is being made in Italy. If the European Commission decided to block the export, the vaccine may arrive by June since the contract with AstraZeneca stated that the vaccines would be completely delivered by June, Anutin said"

So what if the European Commission decide to block the delivery in June? 

Anutin really does have a way with words doesn't he!

The vaccine doses that are due "for delivery" in June, will be manufactured locally so any EU export restrictions will not apply.

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Don't understand? If Siam Bioscience are licensed to produce the Astro Zeneca vaccine why don't they just get on with it?

They are "getting on with it." However, you can't just whip up a vaccine manufacturing facility capable of producing 23 million doses a month, overnight.

Even after the plant is built, it will have to undergo some relatively lengthy testing and certification processes before it would be allowed to go into full production.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

45 minutes ago, sambum said:

"The first batch of AstraZeneca vaccine for Thailand is being made in Italy. If the European Commission decided to block the export, the vaccine may arrive by June since the contract with AstraZeneca stated that the vaccines would be completely delivered by June, Anutin said"

So what if the European Commission decide to block the delivery in June? 

Anutin really does have a way with words doesn't he!

I think if he cares to go back and read the smallprint in the contract he's going to see the phrase, best efforts!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Card said:

They must have got word that the eu will block exports of the vaccine to everywhere, including the 3rd World, despite the mean, vindictive, selfish, corrupt and incompetent eu saying it would help such nations. The same eu put so much pressure on the UK to respect the open border in Ireland to prevent any troubles and has now set up a vax border despite the ROI's objections. The eu's vax nationalism will come back to haunt them and the sooner the better. NEVER trust the eu and in particular france.

Not a fan of the political project called EU, but have to defend it a bit here.

EU gave 2 billion euro to various vaccine companies last year so they could start researching and produce vaccines last year and now Astra zeneca as an example say they can't deliver the amount they promised. 

The contract is published and it's clear that EU are not getting what they paid  and signed for. 

If you paid for a product you would react too if you didn't get it.

But not really a surprise to me.

Said long time ago that the various vaccine companies would have trouble delivering because of unforeseen problems in the production. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Virt said:

Not a fan of the political project called EU, but have to defend it a bit here.

EU gave 2 billion euro to various vaccine companies last year so they could start researching and produce vaccines last year and now Astra zeneca as an example say they can't deliver the amount they promised. 

The contract is published and it's clear that EU are not getting what they paid  and signed for. 

If you paid for a product you would react too if you didn't get it.

But not really a surprise to me.

Said long time ago that the various vaccine companies would have trouble delivering because of unforeseen problems in the production. 

Peanuts when you consider the UK alone has ploughed in £548m of support for vaccine development. As for AZ not delivering, if the problem is out of their hands, there’s not a lot the EU can do and there will be a clause in the contract and/or insurance to cover it. After all, what would happen if they had to shut the plant due to say a mass outbreak of Covid amongst the key staff? The EU can threaten legal action but if they stop fulfilment of orders to other countries that had placed orders prior to them, the EU is leaving AZ open to legal action from them? There is a legal term (which I cannot remember now) in the English law of tort(?) which covers instances where someone cannot comply with the legal terms of one requirement, purely because it would put them in breach of another. I’m pretty sure that there will be something very similar in international contract law?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 8OA8 said:

Good interview to read here from the CEO of Astrazeneca thanks for the link. Gives some insight to the problems they've been having in production, its all a very complicated process. What strikes me after reading this. 

He is taking the criticism well and being transparent as far as I can tell, the production of the vaccine is extremely difficult, even some of the partners they have enlisted with 20 years experience in making vaccines are still having problems with the yield. How does that bode for Siam Bioscience? 

Whats also clear from this is that all companies now producing the vaccine will face problems at some point. They will need to face pressure and criticism. How will that work with Siam Bioscience?

“So maybe I need to give you a little bit of explanation as to how we manufacture those vaccines. Essentially, we have cell cultures, big batches, 1000-litre or 2000-litre batches. We have cell cultures inside those batches and we inject them with the virus, the vaccine, if you will. Then those cells produce the vaccine, it’s a biotechnology protection. Now, some of those batches have very high yield and others have low yield. Particularly in Europe, we had one site with large capacity that experienced yield issues. 

“A year ago, we didn't have a vaccine. When you do that, you have glitches, you have scale-up problems. Therefore, the yield varies from one to three, by the factor of three. The best site we have produces three times more vaccine out of a batch than the lowest producing site. We do this with a series of partners: in the US, those partners are actually approved by BARDA, the US administration, the group that manages those things and manages the capacity”.
 "In the US, we also have issues of yield and essentially our engineers have worked with our partners to identify what the issues are. We believe we have sorted out the issues now. The issues are different, for instance, in Belgium: we believe it was more a question of downstream filtering because when you finish making the vaccine, you have to filter it. When you filter it, you put it into vials. Our partner in Australia for instance also had yield issues. And they have been in the vaccine business for 20 years. But it's complicated, especially in the early phase where you have to really kind of sort out all sorts of issues. We believe we've sorted out those issues, but we are basically two months behind where we wanted to be. We've had also teething issues like this in the UK supply chain. But the UK contract was signed three months before the European vaccine deal. So with the UK we have  had an extra three months to fix all the glitches we experienced. "

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2021/01/26/news/interview_pascal_soriot_ceo_astrazeneca_coronavirus_covid_vaccines-284349628/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Virt said:

It's crappy compared to Pfizer and Moderna, but it's cheap and easier to distribute, so it's an important vaccine for most 3rd world countries. 

I hope I get Pfizer or Modernas version when it's my turn in June, but I take AZ if that's the one I'm offered. 

Just give me the darn shots so I can travel to Thailand again........ 

Yep, that's what most people are saying, just give us the damn shots so we can get back to as much normal as possible. Vaccines are out and approved yet most countries are pizz fartin' around, there are thousands of vaccine producing facilities in the world and they should all be going around the clock...24/7 churning the damn vax out. We could clobber this bloody covid 19 by end of the year if we got stuck into it boots and all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, johnarth said:

an obvious question, the general said the private sector can import vaccines? how if the government can not?

The excellent quality vaccination will not be free.. All faranqs will pay for it dearly.

It is a possibility that the private sector will buy moderna or pfizer and administrate it at

Bht 6000 a shot. Expect it to be expensive. ==like it or not, you have no choice.

the cheap <deleted> that they will get from china or India will be used on the burmese or the people the government don't like. 

for the rest of the population will get the UK at a price too- vaccination in thailand will not be free.....forget the Thai vaccine.. you are looking at late 2022 to be rolled out.

12 hours ago, Card said:

They must have got word that the eu will block exports of the vaccine to everywhere, including the 3rd World, despite the mean, vindictive, selfish, corrupt and incompetent eu saying it would help such nations. The same eu put so much pressure on the UK to respect the open border in Ireland to prevent any troubles and has now set up a vax border despite the ROI's objections. The eu's vax nationalism will come back to haunt them and the sooner the better. NEVER trust the eu and in particular france.

Right, never ever France and never ever von der Leyen and her gang of muppets

5 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

Peanuts when you consider the UK alone has ploughed in £548m of support for vaccine development. As for AZ not delivering, if the problem is out of their hands, there’s not a lot the EU can do and there will be a clause in the contract and/or insurance to cover it. After all, what would happen if they had to shut the plant due to say a mass outbreak of Covid amongst the key staff? The EU can threaten legal action but if they stop fulfilment of orders to other countries that had placed orders prior to them, the EU is leaving AZ open to legal action from them? There is a legal term (which I cannot remember now) in the English law of tort(?) which covers instances where someone cannot comply with the legal terms of one requirement, purely because it would put them in breach of another. I’m pretty sure that there will be something very similar in international contract law?

All such contracts will include a force majeure clause which essentially means I will agree to supply but there may be problems that are outside of my control (act of god). Vaccine manufacture and upscaling production because of a pandemic will always lead to process problems. In reality the EU 27 countries have collectively put little into preventive vaccine manufacturing compared to the UK. One thing to bear in mind the two French vaccines were a failure which has caused a bit of a panic in the EU and a bit of embarrassment for the French government. I was surprised to read in this mornings paper that the UK has seven vaccine manufacturing plants in full production at the moment with another very large facility coming on line in the third quarter.

• Like 1

There appears to be some misunderstanding relating to vaccines there are no crappy vaccines they will all protect you and prevent death. A vaccine can be rated from 60% to 100% efficient and all the efficiency means is (I will use 60% as an example) it will prevent 60% of a group getting covid and the other 40% will get very mild to medium symptoms but it will nearly guarantee that 100% will not get covid that will put them in intensive care. The vaccine will prevent death from covid if passed by the relevant medical authorities.

1 minute ago, cryo said:

There appears to be some misunderstanding relating to vaccines there are no crappy vaccines they will all protect you and prevent death. A vaccine can be rated from 60% to 100% efficient and all the efficiency means is (I will use 60% as an example) it will prevent 60% of a group getting covid and the other 40% will get very mild to medium symptoms but it will nearly guarantee that 100% will not get covid that will put them in intensive care. The vaccine will prevent death from covid if passed by the relevant medical authorities.

I read that even a 20% efficacy is considered useful because it can still prevent you from getting seriously ill.  So 50-60% efficacy is nothing to sneeze at pardon the pun.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

I wonder if some countries will be so slow that by the time they have reached full vaccination, they will have to start over again with the people who were the first to get it...

It's a booster shot and they are doing studies already as to how it will work.

IN all likelihood it won't be a full dose.  

The first thing that they have to do is get it manufactured, and for the rest of the world to get it it's going to be a long long long time.  

We are going to be talking about COVID for at least 3 years from here, and that's best case.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, cryo said:

If you want to keep abreast of what is happening in the world relating to covid this guy is very intelligent and on the ball and updates a complex subject daily in very understandable way. Well worth watching and will give you an up to date understanding with no political bias.

(1) dr john campbell - YouTube

I am terrified clicking on these videos, but I can tell everyone that this is a brilliant video and extremely easy to understand.  

Thank you for sharing and I will add this to my watch list!  (love the bottle of vitamin D on the back windowsill)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wallybee said:

You should fact check before you put out ribbish

He should also as should other posters on this site check the definition of a third world country which Thailand is not.

He would also learn that Switzerland was originally defined as a third world country.

11 hours ago, cryo said:

If you want to keep abreast of what is happening in the world relating to covid this guy is very intelligent and on the ball and updates a complex subject daily in very understandable way. Well worth watching and will give you an up to date understanding with no political bias.

(1) dr john campbell - YouTube

Been following Dr. Campbell for many months now, he always gives the latest updates & figures, and is very optimistic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

He should also as should other posters on this site check the definition of a third world country which Thailand is not.

He would also learn that Switzerland was originally defined as a third world country.

Has it upgraded?? 5555

• Haha 1