Thai cops struggling under debt totalling Bt270bn, says police chief

snoop1130

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Suwat told Thansettakij newspaper that around 209,000 officers had taken loans to support their family or to purchase large items such as cars or houses.

In the UK, the vast majority of domestic debt is held within mortgages. If I own a house worth £500,000, and I have paid off £250,000 of my mortgage, would you consider me to be "in debt"? Or do I have an asset with a net worth of £250,000 if I chose to sell it?

I'm sure the main points in this article are correct, but I would expect that the majority of the 270 billion baht mentioned refers to mortgages on homes.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

As far as I'm aware all police have been working all through Covid, they have even been paid a bonus per hour if work was related to Covid 19, they have received salaries as normal so why the sudden huge debt?

Living well beyond the monthly pay-check it seems.

Could it be linked to another more lucrative income stream has been affecting the extra luxuries in life?

Linked to the disappearance of tourists spending money in Thailand . Perhaps the  police will treat foreigners with more respect than they have done in the past . 

He is also seeking ways of generating more revenue for his subordinates. One idea is to set up a market for police spouses to run businesses. Another is to look at assets confiscated by the Anti-Money Laundering Office.

270 billion baht average almost 1.3 million baht for each of 209,000 police officers, wonder what value the confiscated items have...????

Hello ,

Thai Government/ Police , I think you need to set your priorities straight before you talk about getting involved with landing on The Moon !!

1. Test , Trace , Isolate and Immunizations for Covid !!

2. Economical Stimulus to assist Thai Citizens, Especially even more the poor Thais as well !! 

• Like 1

Hahaha. Surprised it took this long to come out. Their inability to satisfy their debts is a direct result of the paucity of tourists due to the lockdown measures. My Thai ladyfriends have told me that much of the previous corruption activity of fining any farang for anything was due to the police living beyond their means, by taking loans for big cars and bigger houses than their salaries could reasonably afford. The Thai financial institutions being only too happy to oblige with loans as most police could service them with the proceeds from their constabulary activities. 
Therein lies the grain of truth within the article and why the police have been affected more than other professions, and precisely why the police chief knows all about it, turning a blind eye to such activities, as he himself may have been a beneficiary of just such an MO when he was a junior officer in better times.
Dare I say, the number of police applying for similar loans may have dipped sharply in the last year.
As far as my non-police Thai friends are concerned, there is no way the rest of Thailand's citizens should be sympathetic, nor help them in any way their plight.   
There is possbily a blessing in disguise here. If it takes years, as possibly expected by those more reasonable in their estimation of a  timeframe that tourist numbers may recover, corrupt methods of fleecing tourists may lessen somewhat in the longer term ???? 
Having been fleeced for myself significant sums  on completely false pretenses previously, I for one will not be assisting in their relief.

• Like 2

Thai cops struggling under debt totalling Bt270bn, says police chief

By THE NATION

800_5245da76155728f.jpg

Suwat Jangyodsuk

Thai police officers owe a total of Bt270 billion in debts, national police chief Suwat Jangyodsuk revealed on Friday.

Suwat told Thansettakij newspaper that around 209,000 officers had taken loans to support their family or to purchase large items such as cars or houses.

The police chief said he has asked Krungthai Bank and the Government Savings Bank to suspend debt payments.

He is also seeking ways of generating more revenue for his subordinates. One idea is to set up a market for police spouses to run businesses. Another is to look at assets confiscated by the Anti-Money Laundering Office.

He added that he has contacted corporations to request scholarships for police officers’ children.

Suwat also pledged to give a live internet broadcast explaining the police force’s mission and allow members of the public to question him in real time.

“I will not hide anything and am ready for all questions,” he said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30402001?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-29

Quite frankly, what I hear about the salaries paid to Policemen, I am amazed. The people who are in charge of overseeing the laws abiding, are paid ridiculously low salaries. The way to assist the policemen (women) and make sure that they carry out their duties according to the laws of the Kingdom, is to make sure that they are properly paid salaries that enable them to enjoy a decent standard of living. 

1 hour ago, robertson468 said:

I don't understand why the Banks should give the Police preferential treatment.  Many, many people are suffering financially in the Country, not just the Police!  Perhaps lessons in balancing their finances would be more appropriate?

The Banks give all Civil Servants preferential loans, often far bigger than they could ever be expected to pay on their wages.    Even after retirement they are still offering loans as they want to take all the Pension's out of the families as well.    Greed of the Thai Banks matches the greed seen all through Thai Society.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Fines i have paid in my time here have probably paid for a few beers or whiskeys,but never a ticket was given, i just paid at the spot as asked...

I only ever paid one "fine" and that was for riding my Forza on the highway where motorbikes are supposed to be banned. I just paid the 300Bt, though the cop wanted 1000Bt. I don't obey laws I don't agree with, and that was the only one time I was caught while all the other times I have gotten away with it.

"I will not hide anything and am ready for all questions,” he said.

What a shame that it will not be in english, because if it was he wouldn't be able to honestly answer a single question about the laziness & ineffectiveness of the RTP, let alone questions about corruption being rife throughout the force. The Thais won't dare to ask the hard questions.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

Help them out with some food lankie.....mek a lanky hotpot and feed them in their time of need !!!!

A lot of that debt was probably caused by the guys with the fancy ranks which they had to pay for, and also, how much they paid for all the fancy wings, bling and regalia.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Funny.... the national police chief didn't seem to mention this little gem from recent weeks as perhaps one of the reasons his officers have so much debt:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1201398-5-police-generals-embezzled-covid-allowances/?tab=comments#comment-16163619

"BANGKOK, Jan 13 – Five police generals and 48 police colonels are among 189 policemen found embezzling the COVID-19 allowances of their subordinates.

Police inspector-general Pol Gen Visanu Prasarttong-Osoth said police at all levels are entitled to an hourly allowance of 60 baht for their COVID-19-related services which were capped at seven hours a day.

The Royal Thai Police Office completed the first round of its investigation into alleged embezzlement of COVID-related allowances."

Wonder why???

This will be the RTPOs investigation similar to the unelected "PM" never disclosing his findings of the corruption of the Burmese illegals who streamed into Thailand and started of this round of coved19.

16 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

158,256 are Generals.

What about the Lt/Cols, Maj/Gens, Lt/Gens, and other ranks that are filled with bling etc? The money that lot paid for their ranks and bling must stretch to millions.

• Like 1

Now they are weeping what they sow! Corruption goes both ways.

Here a legal suggestion put your men/women on the streets and roads and start handing out traffic violations. 

1. No hamlets: 500 baht fines per person
2. Taxi transporting customers no hamlet 1000 for the taxi driver and 500 for the passenger. 
3. Transporting Kids on motorbikes with no safety device and no hamlet 2000 bath and take possession of their license and motorbike.
4. All fines not paid in 30 days, that individual license will be suspended, and they must attend driving school to get them back. 
5. All motorbike taken for traffic offenses impound and daily charge 100 baht. 
6. All motorbike confiscated over 30 days, sell in an auction after having then de-registered. 

7. Driving with licenses, 5000 baht and confiscate motor vehicle and detained. 

8. Unregistered motorbikes, 5000 baht and confiscate motor vehicle and detained.

9. Motorists: Unauthorized selling foods on the streets 5000 baht and confiscate motor vehicle. 

I can go on and on about how you can set up a retirement system if you look on the real side of serving the people. But as long as Corruption is the way of life, then you should weep more. You are not above God’s law and what you are getting is man's law.

If I were a Bank, I would not drop your debt. You are no better than the people you serve. So where is my money? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Those higher up will not be struggling with debt,their problem will

be where to put all the money...

regards worgeordie

Very true, just like the Unelected "PM" and his soldiers.

Regards. Possum.