Thai cops struggling under debt totalling Bt270bn, says police chief

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Enigmatist said:

Hahaha. Surprised it took this long to come out. Their inability to satisfy their debts is a direct result of the paucity of tourists due to the lockdown measures. My Thai ladyfriends have told me that much of the previous corruption activity of fining any farang for anything was due to the police living beyond their means, by taking loans for big cars and bigger houses than their salaries could reasonably afford. The Thai financial institutions being only too happy to oblige with loans as most police could service them with the proceeds from their constabulary activities. 
Therein lies the grain of truth within the article and why the police have been affected more than other professions, and precisely why the police chief knows all about it, turning a blind eye to such activities, as he himself may have been a beneficiary of just such an MO when he was a junior officer in better times.
Dare I say, the number of police applying for similar loans may have dipped sharply in the last year.
As far as my non-police Thai friends are concerned, there is no way the rest of Thailand's citizens should be sympathetic, nor help them in any way their plight.   
There is possbily a blessing in disguise here. If it takes years, as possibly expected by those more reasonable in their estimation of a  timeframe that tourist numbers may recover, corrupt methods of fleecing tourists may lessen somewhat in the longer term ???? 
Having been fleeced for myself significant sums  on completely false pretenses previously, I for one will not be assisting in their relief.

thebanks will rape them.. 

19 hours ago, ChipButty said:

He is also seeking ways of generating more revenue for his subordinates.

They know what to do just you stopped them

They can issue a lot of tickets and collect fines from the people that think they're privileged to ride their motorbikes on the footpath ????

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The police chief said he has asked Krungthai Bank and the Government Savings Bank to suspend debt payments.

This might be very difficult for the banks. Assuming Thai banks work like most of the world and operate on a fractional banking system, their cash holdings may be pretty slim. 

With no cash and incoming repayments suspended, new loans cannot be made. The revenue stream dries up and the bank is insolvent. 

The lack of liquidity compared to the global debt load leaves very liitle wiggle room for any country.

Printing more money is the traditional solution to this problem and it's worked well enough so far to get the world even fantastically deeper in the hole. 

Produce more than you consume or enter a financial debt spiral, which is where we are now. 

All the good solutions were used up long ago. 

I had to laugh at the idea of the police wives opening businesses to support their husband's though. That's got to popular with the wives. He will stay home and take care of the kids, do the wash, make the meals, clean the house, etc.? Sure thing. 

The obvious solution, while futile, is to simply seize all the farang bank account funds being held as per immigration requirements. Of course it wouldn't scratch the surface of the problem but would be wildly popular I suspect. Well, unless you're farang. ????

I know, throw your rocks at me but you know they would have thought of it sooner or later themselves. We're all just fish in the proverbial barrel. I'm just injecting some dark humor. 

19 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Oh my, it's called reality.

When you cannot afford to take out a loan you shouldn't.  Why would anyone bail out an individual for taking a loan on a car?  

It is very easy for us to "put the boot in"  but they are family men being paid peanuts. Blame the government if anybody. Why not reduce the paid retired Army Generals by about 80 % and pay the serving police a decent wage

3 minutes ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

It seems hard to comprehend that all/majority of the Police filled in a questionnaire and disclosed their debts! Too many questions would be raised as to how they lived in such a lifestyle!

So I wonder how he obtained this information?

I am sure he has his accounting ledger as the RTP's financial advisor and accountant for loans made....possibly.

What a situation

Loan issuers are using what yardstick in granting these loans??

The applicants' salaries against which they measure are without doubt incongruous by any industry standard.

Seems the ingrained corruption extends so far into Thai culture that it's a "given" even at this level.

Forget the American 'Sub-Prime' mortgage disaster, here we have loans secured against future thievery !! - priceless!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

So what's the problem then.they still have their jobs .They have been living on that All the time Right?

O Hhh , Maybe  because of the Covid they Can't Collect so many Donations, and now they Live Beyond their means . 

I would say Serves them Right Foreclose on their Loans that should teach them for their ill gotten Donations .

• Like 1

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

By THE NATION

800_5245da76155728f.jpg

Suwat Jangyodsuk

Thai police officers owe a total of Bt270 billion in debts, national police chief Suwat Jangyodsuk revealed on Friday.

Suwat told Thansettakij newspaper that around 209,000 officers had taken loans to support their family or to purchase large items such as cars or houses.

The police chief said he has asked Krungthai Bank and the Government Savings Bank to suspend debt payments.

He is also seeking ways of generating more revenue for his subordinates. One idea is to set up a market for police spouses to run businesses. Another is to look at assets confiscated by the Anti-Money Laundering Office.

He added that he has contacted corporations to request scholarships for police officers’ children.

Suwat also pledged to give a live internet broadcast explaining the police force’s mission and allow members of the public to question him in real time.

“I will not hide anything and am ready for all questions,” he said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30402001?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

OK Mr. Police Chief, it's a well known fact among Thais that

ALL police officers have to pay for their promotions.

So what was your total debt to get to where you are and how did you repay it?

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-29

>be thai police force

>get paid money from local small and medium businesses

>everyone_happy.jpg

>one day decide to enforce shutdown of all small and medium businesses

>continue for a year

>all small and medium businesses go bankrupt

>"so sad! poor thai police force has no income! "
>asks for loan from general public

Just a question here be4 I had to go back to Oz for 2 years(Im now happily back well in quarantine) I was here for 4 years in that time I was fined once because I didnt have a Thai license after being here too long, I got the ticket and went to the police station to pay it, other than that I was never asked to pay anything(I wouldnt anyway I would always ask for a ticket) and had no more fines, Im not a dunce and dont speed dont ride a bike without a helmet etc etc as so many im dont have to follow the rules. So how many of you have in the last 5 years paid a bribe to get let off for something illegal that you did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What will be the news of next week?

Immigration officials in deep trouble?

Salaries of 30-100k (I'm guessing) but spending much more.

The extra income stream of 2 or 3X salary has dried up but credits have to be served.

The first moment, buying something on finance like a new phone or something must be exciting but this wares quickly off and then, reality kicks in.

Repaying your loan!!!!!

22 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Oh my, it's called reality.

When you cannot afford to take out a loan you shouldn't.  Why would anyone bail out an individual for taking a loan on a car?  

Why would anyone bail out a bank for making bad loans?  But that happens.  Why only bail out the rich?