Thai cops struggling under debt totalling Bt270bn, says police chief

snoop1130

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow, fewer checkpoints and graft have created a mess it seems.  Never spend more than you can cover.  As my old man would say don't write any checks your body can't cash.  As a US founding Father once said, Nothing is certain in life except death and taxes.  Standby for the repo man.....

My old man used to say  'Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves '

Kelly Bundy said ' Only thing  certain in life is death and texas '.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow, fewer checkpoints and graft have created a mess it seems.  Never spend more than you can cover.  As my old man would say don't write any checks your body can't cash.  As a US founding Father once said, Nothing is certain in life except death and taxes.  Standby for the repo man.....

...what you have, you hold.

35 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

My local plods missus does already...

I won't say exactly what it is she does but if you think of a large predator that swims in the ocean you won't be far off the mark.

What do I get for guessing the right answer?

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Suwat also pledged to give a live internet broadcast explaining the police force’s mission and allow members of the public to question him in real time.

That could be interesting, couldn't it. My first question would be why don't the police enforce the law, and my second would be why do so many break it.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Oh my, it's called reality.

When you cannot afford to take out a loan you shouldn't.  Why would anyone bail out an individual for taking a loan on a car?  

Dot you know how important they are?  Why not confiscate whatever they need......

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Karma is real.

Didn't the Buddha say life is suffering?

You've had your time driving vehicles you can't afford and living a lifestyle you did not earn.

Time to pay for it all. 

Hows the BMW smart cars going?

• Haha 2

i am sure the   kickbacks from bar owners have vanished since this Covid causing cash flow problems. Also the poor farangs  are not there riding motor bikes and getting stopped for any reason you care to think off has gone. Can you imagine how much revenue that generates  to the police force  which has now gone.The locals  cannot afford or will not pay for these stupid fines which where dished up to us  for years.

When the borders open up why not incorporate the  vax tax with the  handout tax   and that should solve the shortfall  for police officers in  debt.It could be called the VTHT.

19 minutes ago, globalspark said:

i am sure the   kickbacks from bar owners have vanished since this Covid causing cash flow problems. Also the poor farangs  are not there riding motor bikes and getting stopped for any reason you care to think off has gone. Can you imagine how much revenue that generates  to the police force  which has now gone.The locals  cannot afford or will not pay for these stupid fines which where dished up to us  for years.

When the borders open up why not incorporate the  vax tax with the  handout tax   and that should solve the shortfall  for police officers in  debt.It could be called the VTHT.

dont even try to run their country.. they dont like it

• Confused 1

I've lost my resort due to the pandemic. when I went to the bank to ask for a soft loan, that the government had promised to roll out, the answer was that any company with foreign director(s) will not be entitled to get a loan. Result bankruptcy 22 people jobless. Discrimination at it's finest....

Thanks you! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

15 hours ago, TVGerry said:

If you can't afford it, why are you buying large items like cars and houses in the first place?

I suppose that they are still being paid their usual salary each month.

But they all had to borrow large sums, so they could pay for their promotions. Now the river of tea money are running dry, because their usual sponsors are out of business. They should be asked to sell the Benz and their extravagant residence.

Edited by Xonax
  • Like 2

at B 1,000,000.- p/officer - average debt , not really out if line ....

a simple car plus an average house is all it takes . Will the General go after

certain HIGH VALUE individuals - the one he's not supposed to touch  ??

Get INTERPOL to round up some fugitives , after they paid their " sins " .....

let them loose in the International crowd again.  

That will bring in B 270,000,000,000.--  in a hurry ... maybe B 1.-TRILLION  ??

then you wipe off ... ALL their  DEBTS  plus more  ....

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

16 hours ago, Sametboy2019 said:

According to Google.

Thailand's police forces number about 230,000 officers.

270 billion in debt. Some impressive individual debts

Not really bad , only  B 1.- Million average p/officer  .... 

12 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

I don't understand why the Banks should give the Police preferential treatment.  Many, many people are suffering financially in the Country, not just the Police!  Perhaps lessons in balancing their finances would be more appropriate?

True, however what's urgently also needed is living salaries and salaries which are equal to proper measurement of the levels of difficulty to do the job etc., and permanent policies which reduce the gap and ensure the gap is according to an agreed formula.

Reducing the gap can happen and IMHO is urgently needed. Look at Japan, the gap is small because of serious social attitudes about sharing and everybody entitled to have a good life, and law. It can be done. 

But I'm not holding my breath. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TacoKhun said:

when you could not repay loan is one thing, when police office cant it is become more complicated. They have more power than you and they may resort to using it in way you wont like.

A very pertinent observation.

Most of the numerous coups in Thailand have debt and enrichment as their driving force.

The old group was/is muscled away from the trough so that the next lot can get at it.

Therefore it behooves any nation to have a properly remunerated and disciplined police force-and armed forces too for that matter-something that Thailand,Myanmar,Laos and Cambodia sadly lacks.

Thereby the rule of the "strongman".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tonray said:

My next door neighbors are a 50ish Mom and her 20 something daughter. The daughter has a Thai policeman boyfriend who stays over a couple of nights a week. He looks to be about 30, maybe younger. He usually parks across from our house just because we are at the end of the Soi and there is extra space there. I have noted no fewer than 4 different vehicles he routinely uses, 1 large truck, 1 small Jeep-like sport vehicle, a big white luxury sedan and a smaller black Honda.

I imagine he's got a plum assignment somehwhere...unless this is all borrowed money ?

Undercover agent.