Termites

Klong Song

6 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

This does not change the only fact I was disputing; that termites cannot eat through concrete. That's not theory, that's reality.

Call it what you like, it does not detract from the irresponsibility of trying to dismiss a very real problem.

I lived in a rented house which after a few years got a termite problem, infact i did'nt know they were there till one day i opened the wardrobe in the spare bedroom and it fell into a pile on the floor,

called the landlady she sent the pest guy, he found the nest which was in a tree stump in the garden then put a block of poison there and a plastic bowl over it to stop the rain and the dog getting at it,

They were gone in days.

My wife noticed some sawdust coming from the kitchen door frame and termite tunnels they had created on our walls, It was recomended to me to use Chaindrite Stedfast 30, bought a container of it, maybe a litre from Homepro, cost about 850 baht but it goes a long way when diluted. Sprayed all around my house and havn't seen hide nor hair from the little critters since.

Although I did find a nest in my charcoal I use for the barbicue.

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

And plants and flowers can push up through tarmac or concrete. Never under-estimate what nature can do. Not that I'm disagreeing with what you wrote.

Half right. Not through concrete but I have seen them push up through Tarmac and asphalt, but, there is an explanation for that.

Tarmac is actually a liquid. A constant pressure will allow the flower to come through.

If flowers could push up through concrete, why don't buildings push down through concrete foundations? Buildings exert a bit more pressure than a flower, eh?

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2021 at 4:44 PM, Klong Song said:

Nothing noticeable at first but when I started looking under the fiberglass insulation I did see a couple. There is supposed to be screening covering all the space where the roof overhangs but I was unable to inspect it all.

Why don't you use mothballs ? It's gas's will get in anywhere under the roof. (if you don't have many light fixtures in your ceiling). 
I have done it before. I had some bugs over ceiling and it even stoped some rats that were looking to find a way to our kitchen !!!! 
But you need to refill every once in a while. 
good luck.

5 hours ago, placnx said:

The came through the cement slab on ground floor and ate a huge hole in my wool carpet, so yes, they can get through cement. In another room, somehow they came through a cement wall, perhaps via an electrical pipe, and ate 30 large format books. They seem to prefer glossy paper! They also nibbled the paper frames of slides. 

Any particular literature they were more interested in than another?

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2021 at 11:37 AM, sandyf said:

You can say what you want but it does not mean there is not a potential problem.

My house has a concrete floor and before it was poured the builder laid a pattern of blue pipe all around the floor area. I was a bit puzzled as the pipe had only one end which came out outside the building, so I got my wife to ask what it was for, and he said termite protection. Apparently the pipe was filled with a chemical and if the termites got into the floor they would eat into the pipe and the chemical would kill them off.

It is all about reality than theory.

Those pipes are part of a reticulation system. It can be effective against termites BUT the pipes have holes in them and the chemical runs out through the holes and soaks into the soil /sand under the concrete slab as a defence against termites so as the poison only has a certain life so it must be replenished regularly. In Australia thats about every 5 years or so.If you dont do this you will be at risk of termite attack.

On 2/2/2021 at 7:55 PM, topt said:

The pest control company I use here come monthly and every year at the contract renewal they refill the pipes.

Yes, our lot come every other month to spray stuff then every 6 months to do the pipes.