UK asks EU for Brexit grace period extension to 2023, BBC reports

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But it’s not the EU begging for a grace period.

Doh!

No, the EU were begging for a full Transition Period extension, with all their benefits that come with that. 

After Boris stood up to them, they oppose a grace period in some minor areas. 

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, vogie said:

It's not what you prefer, it's what the EU tells you you can have.

Did you change your mind? I thought you said "the EU" is not a country. 

The EU does (or indeed does not) what member states assign it to do, each member state can veto or indeed diverge. Like the UK approving the Pfizer vaccine in December or Hungary approving the Russian and Chinese vaccine now. 

Now in the UK, it's different, particularly for non-English nations 

It's not what you prefer, it's what Boris tells you you can have. 

If the Scots wanted the Russian vaccine, do you think Boris would let them? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

Did you change your mind? I thought you said "the EU" is not a country. 

The EU does (or indeed does not) what member states assign it to do, each member state can veto or indeed diverge. Like the UK approving the Pfizer vaccine in December or Hungary approving the Russian and Chinese vaccine now. 

Now in the UK, it's different, particularly for non-English nations 

If the Scots wanted the Russian vaccine, do you think Boris would let them? 

Vous ete tres drole monsieur, calm yourself down, its not worth upsetting yourself like this.

The EU can do whatever it likes, as it has proven, it can even incite unrest in NI at the drop of a hat, totally disgracefull, they have upset the N & S of Ireland, many of their own comissioners have shown a concern to how UvdL is running  their parliament.

Marie Le Pen is coming up on the nearest rail, it must be getting squeaky bum time in the EU parliament and I don't think the Scots or anyone else in the UK has to worry about vaccines, remember Ursula von der Leyens Gerald Ratner moment, we are a speedboat and the EU is a rusty old tanker being left behind in the sea fret.

Edited by vogie
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 2/4/2021 at 2:31 PM, kingdong said:

Didn,t say i had a problem with the total 2.5 million eu citizens resident in the uk,just the ones on the ponce,i made that clear in my post,twisting again.

Not twisting.  As I made it clear in my post, the FoM directive prevents people using to FoM directive from coming to the UK purely to 'ponce,' i.e. claim benefits.

Of course, some may be claiming fraudulently. But surely even you are not so naïve to believe Brits don't do that, too.

If you are aware of anyone committing benefit fraud then, given your concern over benefit ponces, in all conscience you must do your civic duty and report them.

Twisting again? You mean like when you accused me of that and a direct link to your post in question proved I'd quoted you verbatim!

5 hours ago, Loiner said:

According to posts in this thread, the EU appears to have prepared new paperwork for post-Brexit trade. 

Of course; the paperwork required under the trade agreement between us and the EU.

You would need advice from a third country if their paperwork has changed. 

Why would it? Unless the terms of the trade agreement between that country and the EU have changed.

The UK has introduced new paperwork, which has been prepared and rolled out over the past few years. 

Yes, we have introduced new paperwork, as required under the trade agreement between us and the EU.

But "rolled out over the past few years?" No.

HMRC has for many years issued guidance on what is required for British firms importing from or exporting to other countries. The EU had been excluded from this guidance while we were an EU member because we were in the customs union and sending goods from the UK to another member required the same customs and other legal paperwork as sending goods from, for example, Cornwall to Perthshire; i.e. none.

In fact, despite leaving the EU on 31/1/20, we were still effectively a member until the end of the transition period at midnight on 31/12/20; therefore still effectively in the customs union.

The government did start their campaign, including the TV ads with the smiley, happy people saying they were getting ready for Brexit, last July: Major new campaign to prepare UK for end of the transition period. But this campaign did not contain any specific details of what would be required for the simple reason that until the trade agreement had been signed, or we'd left with no deal, no one knew what would be required; either by us or the EU.

See also The Border Operating Model: "A guide to how the border with the European Union will work after the transition period."

Note it was originally published last July when no one knew what would be required. Six updates since; the first in October and then again 31 December 2020 "to reflect the FTA with the EU." Last update, so far, being on 6th January 2021.

• Like 2

Memory failing or can’t be bothered to look it up?

You're making the claim; up to you to provide the evidence with which to back it up.

But you can't; because, as shown above, your claim is nonsense, therefore such evidence doesn't exist! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hi from France said:

As for me, I have been reading you for a while

.. and guess what. 

I'm not inclined to give you anything "freely in good grace". That would be extremely naive to keep on being nice to the national - populists governing the UK. 

Now it's tit for tat. 

It doesn’t really matter what your inclination is. Somebody else, probably a German, will decide for you. 

As for national - populist, that is what most countries need. Wouldn’t M. Macron be a prime example of one?

• Like 2