Thailand reports 809 new COVID-19 infections

webfact

Thailand reports 809 new COVID-19 infections

Reuters copy 2.jpg

REUTERS FILE PHOTO for reference only

Thailand reported 809 new coronavirus cases on Thursday.

Again, the vast majority of the new cases were again discovered during testing of migrant workers at quarantine facilities and hospitals in Samut Sakhon.

Of the new cases, 751 were discovered in Samut Sakhon via active contact tracing, while 45  were found from people reporting to hospital. 13 cases were imported from people entering quarantine.

Thailand’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) also reported that nearly as many people who were found to have contracted the virus were also discharged from hospital (797) .

7,181 people remain in hospital or held in a migrant worker quarantine centre. No new deaths were  reported

Thursday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 22,058, with 79 deaths. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-04

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Susco said:

So glad to hear that they have succeeded in restricting the infections to Samut Sakhon only, and that it affects only immigrants and people entering the ASQ facilities

Yesterday a TV expert predicted a great drop in cases because they reduced active case finding in Samut Sakhon. But it didn't happen!

Why? Because all Samut Sakhon positive cases were coming from a single sub-district in one district.  There, they continued testing in full.

Incredible, Thai medical experts know something TV experts don't.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

Are they actively testing outside of Samut Sakhon anymore, or have they decided its a waste of resources as only migrant workers get the virus.  What happened to all of the DJ's contacts and their contacts and so on, or even the media person with Covid?  They seemed to fade away and into the wood work.  Nothing to see here folks move along, Chinese new Year coming in 8 days.  Wishing folks well, be safe, mask up, use sanitizer, but try and enjoy yourselves.  Songkran looks like it will be full speed ahead everywhere in Thailand, well everywhere except Samut Sakhon.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, rabas said:

Yesterday a TV expert predicted a great drop in cases because they reduced active case finding in Samut Sakhon. But it didn't happen!

Why? Because all Samut Sakhon positive cases were coming from a single sub-district in one district.  There, they continued testing in full.

Incredible, Thai medical experts know something TV experts don't.

With the drop to 2000 tests per day (fake news?) maybe the positivity rate has shot up to 40% after putting 40,000 people in close contact within an infection hotspot.

10 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

How many other asymptomatic cases are out there who haven't reported to a hospital I wonder?

And is anyone testing the family and acquaintances of such people?

Along with the positives found daily, without also being given numbers on how extensive the testing is elsewhere, you can't really know what is happening nationwide.

I am hoping they do have it cooped in to a small area, but I have my doubts.

Similar to the situation in Singapore last year, because of their working and living conditions, it's easy to imagine this outbreak largely being confined to this migrant worker population a d those who have close contact with them.

It would be nice to see the numbers in SS start dropping at some point, however.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rabas said:

How do you know they've continued testing in full despite the report they've reduced to 2,000 per day? 

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

How do you know they've continued testing in full despite the report they've reduced to 2,000 per day? 

You mean, how do we know they continue testing in one small area producing all the positive results, even though they reduced testing in areas that were not producing cases?

Elementary my dear Watson, because the number of positives did not drop.

Why do some assume Thailand's vast medical infrastructure and institutes can't figure out such simple things?

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, rabas said:

You mean, how do we know they continue testing in one small area producing all the positive results, even though they reduced testing in areas that were not producing cases?

Why do some assume Thailand's vast medical infrastructure and institutes can't figure out such simple things?

Elementary conclusion is not fact.

The fact is we have absolutely no idea what numbers of tests they are doing now and even what percentage of tests are being conducted PCR or Antibody tests because that trade secret is not handed to us. Even when they announced the start of the 10,000 target tests per day how do we know that was actually carried out? On the first day that started they already admitted they never achieved that target instead did around 5,800 tests instead of 10,000.

Thailands vast medical infrastructure has admitted the cost of these ongoing mass tests is too expensive and are instead going to use rapid antigen tests. Are you sure they can figure this out?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

809 new Covid-19 cases, mostly in Samut Sakhon

By The Nation

800_14f1b6a0143728c.jpg?v=1612417506

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Thursday reported 809 new cases, of whom 13 are returnees in quarantine facilities.

Of the patients, 45 had picked up the virus while visiting high-risk areas, with Samut Sakhon leading the list with 36 cases, followed by five in Tak, three in Bangkok and one in Samut Songkhram.

Meanwhile, proactive testing has led to the discovery of 751 cases, most of which were found in Samut Sakhon with the exception of one case in Ratchaburi.

Of the 13 returnees, seven are Thais returning from Israel, Malaysia, Germany, Belgium, France and the United States. Also testing positive were a Romanian from the UK, a Briton from the United Arab Emirates, a Zimbabwean from Ethiopia, a Mauritian from Spain and a Russian and a Pakistani from their respective countries.

Separately, 797 patients have recovered and been discharged.

As of Thursday, the number of confirmed cases in Thailand had risen to 22,058. Of these, 19,553 had been contracted locally, including 12,298 found through proactive testing, while 2,505 were returnees. So far, 14,798 have recovered and been discharged, 7,181 are still in hospital and the death toll remains at 79.

According to Worldometer, as of 10am, the number of confirmed cases globally had risen to 104.9 million (up by 489,120), of whom 76.77 million have recovered, 25.85 million are active cases (106,524 in severe condition) and 2.28 million have died (up by 14,245).

Thailand ranks 115th on the global list of most cases, which is topped by the US with 27.15 million, followed by India 10.79 million, Brazil 9.34 million, Russia 3.9 million and the United Kingdom 3.87 million.

CCSA spokesperson Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin said so far, 48.44 per cent of schools nationwide are still conducting online classes, 29.74 per cent opting for both on-site and online classes, 20.83 per cent have opened fully, while 0.98 per cent are using other methods.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30402237

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-02-04

2 hours ago, Susco said:

So glad to hear that they have succeeded in restricting the infections to Samut Sakhon only, and that it affects only immigrant workers and people entering the ASQ facilities

Not sure if this is tounge in cheek but in 2 days there has been around 300 Thais positive. Difficult to know just how widespread this is due to lack of transparency and testing.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rabas said:

Because the barstool "scientists" here know everything better.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Elementary conclusion is not fact.

The fact is we have absolutely no idea what numbers of tests they are doing now and even what percentage of tests are being conducted PCR or Antibody tests because that trade secret is not handed to us. Even when they announced the start of the 10,000 target tests per day how do we know that was actually carried out? On the first day that started they already admitted they never achieved that target instead did around 5,800 tests instead of 10,000.

Thailands vast medical infrastructure has admitted the cost of these ongoing mass tests is too expensive and are instead going to use rapid antigen tests. Are you sure they can figure this out?

Maybe they are only taking 2000 tests per day, and this will reflect in the published figures in a Day or so when the Labs actually catch up to date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Not sure if this is tounge in cheek but in 2 days there has been around 300 Thais positive. Difficult to know just how widespread this is due to lack of transparency and testing.

Where do you see those 300 Thais positive in 2 days?

I see 45 domestic cases today, so were there 255 domestic cases yesterday?

Edit : I just checked and yesterday 24 domestic cases were reported, of which 18 in Samut Sakhon.

So where do you get your 300 figure from?

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Maybe they are only taking 2000 tests per day, and this will reflect in the published figures in a Day or so when the Labs actually catch up to date.

Possibly yes, although with all the mixed messages coming from CCSA and various health officials the only figure we can be sure of today is the 751 positive cases in Samut Sakhon. How many tests achieved that is now pure speculation which of course leads to mistrust. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Susco said:

Edit : I just checked and yesterday 24 domestic cases were reported, of which 18 in Samut Sakhon.

From todays figures:

"Over the previous 24 hours, Samut Sakhon province logged 786 cases - 750 found in communities (549 Myanmar and 201 Thais) and 36 (24 Myanmar and 12 Thais) at hospitals. Bangkok confirmed three new cases at hospitals, two Thais and one Myanmar."

So there is 215 of them

Edited by meltonpie

4 minutes ago, meltonpie said:

From todays figures:

"Over the previous 24 hours, Samut Sakhon province logged 786 cases - 750 found in communities (549 Myanmar and 201 Thais) and 36 (24 Myanmar and 12 Thais) at hospitals. Bangkok confirmed three new cases at hospitals, two Thais and one Myanmar."

So there is 215 of them

Google your quote took me to the other paper, yet I don't see any mention of that in the Nation articles.

Also the 215 case are all in Samut Sakhon

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Over the previous 24 hours, Samut Sakhon province logged 786 cases - 750 found in communities (549 Myanmar and 201 Thais) and 36 (24 Myanmar and 12 Thais) at hospitals. Bangkok confirmed three new cases at hospitals, two Thais and one Myanmar.

92 yesterday. So more than 300. 

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

How many other asymptomatic cases are out there who haven't reported to a hospital I wonder?

And is anyone testing the family and acquaintances of such people?

Along with the positives found daily, without also being given numbers on how extensive the testing is elsewhere, you can't really know what is happening nationwide.

I am hoping they do have it cooped in to a small area, but I have my doubts.

Asymptomatic cases remain unknown world wide.  I know of one person who got it and was asymptomatic for the entire illness.  He would have spread it to everyone!  Not even a sore throat.  

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Over the previous 24 hours, Samut Sakhon province logged 786 cases - 750 found in communities (549 Myanmar and 201 Thais) and 36 (24 Myanmar and 12 Thais) at hospitals. Bangkok confirmed three new cases at hospitals, two Thais and one Myanmar.

92 yesterday. So more than 300. 

It helps looking at my follow up post, where I confirmed that I found that quote in Bangkok post, though I find it strange that the Nation doesn't make any mention of it in their reports from today and/or yesterday.

Anyway, the quote from Bangkok post also says that of those 300 only TWO involved Thais outside Samut Sakhon.

32 minutes ago, Susco said:

It helps looking at my follow up post, where I confirmed that I found that quote in Bangkok post, though I find it strange that the Nation doesn't make any mention of it in their reports from today and/or yesterday.

Anyway, the quote from Bangkok post also says that of those 300 only TWO involved Thais outside Samut Sakhon.

And these extra 21 positive cases including a local doctor in the  Muang and Kantharavichai districts of the northeastern province of Maha Sarakham found yesterday

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/mae-sot-to-monitor-strangers-in-their-communities-as-10-new-covid-19-cases-are-recorded/