Thailand reports significant drop in COVID-19 infections

webfact

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

And in a Bangkok Newspaper this Morning, ( Article - " Factory Staff to be monitored " )there was an article that was saying how expensive all the testing was becoming for the Government, and that cheaper ways had to be found to test all these people.

They have only been testing 10,000 per day at a published price between 2,000 -3,000 Baht per test, in the West, Countries are testing 10 times these numbers every Day.

Now the CCSAA are bitching about having to continue with 2000 tests per Day, saying a comprimise has to be sought between mass testing and costs.

I find this response by the Thai Authorities to the Covid situation far worse than any words I can put together

Would be a thought for Thai authorities to take a leaf out of Australia Covid vaccine plans they are planning to give the Covid vaccine to any body living in Australia including anyone on a visa inc Thais ,not only that but the jabs is free, we could only wish cuz nothing reciprocal is going to happen here

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Nearly all of the new cases were again discovered during testing of migrant workers at quarantine facilities and hospitals in Samut Sakhon.

Purely from memory - hasn't every report since the latest outbreak stated that the majority of positive tests have been amongst migrant workers? Just how many migrant workers are there in Samut Sakhon?

19 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Purely from memory - hasn't every report since the latest outbreak stated that the majority of positive tests have been amongst migrant workers? Just how many migrant workers are there in Samut Sakhon?

in the fishing industry in this province works 300k people, the majority burmese. They do also work in many other industries. There might be around 300k. 

They have special immigration office opened only for them, at the same spot they can do work permits and all related papers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

And in a Bangkok Newspaper this Morning, ( Article - " Factory Staff to be monitored " )there was an article that was saying how expensive all the testing was becoming for the Government, and that cheaper ways had to be found to test all these people.

They have only been testing 10,000 per day at a published price between 2,000 -3,000 Baht per test, in the West, Countries are testing 10 times these numbers every Day.

Now the CCSAA are bitching about having to continue with 2000 tests per Day, saying a comprimise has to be sought between mass testing and costs.

I find this response by the Thai Authorities to the Covid situation far worse than any words I can put together

Agree, think it's the don't look, don't find, looks good, no infection, haven't we done well. Plus the cost, not just of testing but compensation to those out of work in closed businesses. People in UK calling for things to open up now, despite the balls up of previous openings from lockdowns.

3 hours ago, Percy P said:

Couldn't the workers be tested on entering the factory . When I enter 7/11, super shopping malls one is tested. Even at the local rural market people are tested. Temperature testing ,hand sanitized. The market has a ribbon around it allowing for one passage way in to it.

Temperature checking will only pick up very small amount of infections, not those who have it but are asymptomatic or only loss of smell, slight cough.

Such a coincidence right? Many countries report same. Could as well be that PCR lab tests are finally done in a proper way.

And btw over 20,000 cases as in OP; last year when total Cov-19 death count for Thailand was just 59, I saw on a website of John Hopkins Uni, the total death of Influenza & Pneumonia in Thailand was 33,808 on year basis.

Not a lot, 0.05%, but higher than Covid. These days hard to compare as all cases are scrapped on the Covid pile.

52 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

and you forgot to mention Chinese New Year and the potential of many more coming in... easy peezy as China does has a border with Burma

chinese new year is cancelled in thailand. 

I don't know in birma, but I think likely also.

Chinese can come to thailand legally, with quarantine, no point for them risking 2 borders and thousand km travel.

Police do expect some 100k illegal burmese, taking advantage of new law, allowing to they them without visa, just on the special police permit

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand reports significant drop in COVID-19 infections

Followed by daily reports like this:

Thailand reports 809 new COVID-19 infections.

I'm curious?  Which is it?  800 or 900 daily infections is a "significant drop in Covid-19?'  Ha ha ha.  Prayut should take a page from the playbook of Gavin Newsome and shut the country down until daily infections rates are zero.  And he might want to try to find some vaccines for the Thai people while he's at it.

Edited by Somchai Jackson
  • Like 1

As often, this article obfuscates rather than informs. We had months of safety. The only important cases are those after December 14, now numbering 18,407 Covid+ in 66 (?) provinces.

By today Feb 5th, Bangkok alone has seen 739 Covid+ cases. I’ve seen a 3.14% figure for BK but unsure if this is the RO or not.

This has become truly exponential growth, just as anticipated, a few weeks after New Year holiday travel. The graphs posted tell it all: up, up, up.

“Asymptomatic” is not accurate. What we have here is presymptomatic cases. After one is infected, there is also a window for testing. Too early & inaccurate result, false negative.

Encouraging people to travel over Chinese New Year shows how much govt cares about its citizens. Covid, don’t worry. Can’t breathe, don’t worry. Drinking saltwater, don’t worry.

* BTW, Chinese New Year is only cancelled in Yaowarat, nowhere else.

We need massive testing & we need it now. Thai people need to feel safe.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

We need massive testing & we need it now. Thai people need to feel safe.

Thai people would probably feel much safer if there was no testing at all.

That way, there would be none of these apocalyptic numbers like 800 infected, 900 infected, 700 infected, all of whom seem to get better rather quickly, and who refuse to die in any significant quantities - the total so far  being less than one-thousandth of the UK death toll, and less than a single day's deaths on Thai roads.

It's an odd pandemic where you have to test people to find out whether they have contracted this disease or not.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Percy P said:

Couldn't the workers be tested on entering the factory . When I enter 7/11, super shopping malls one is tested. Even at the local rural market people are tested. Temperature testing ,hand sanitized. The market has a ribbon around it allowing for one passage way in to it.

Are you saying that having your temp. taken is testing for covid?

• Like 2