Thailand reports slight increase in new COVID-19 infections

webfact

Thailand reports slight increase in new COVID-19 infections

static.reuters.jpg

REUTERS FILE PHOTO for reference only

Thailand reported 201 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, an increase of 44 from Wednesday.

Most of  the new cases were again discovered during testing of migrant workers at quarantine facilities and hospitals in Samut Sakhon.

Of the new cases, 185 were local transmissions, while 16 cases were imported from people entering quarantine.

Thailand’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) also reported that 885 people were discharged from hospital having made a full recovery, an increase from the 548 who were discharged on Wednesday.

4,226 people remain in hospital or held in a migrant worker quarantine centre. No additional deaths were reported. 

Thursday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 24,104 with 80 deaths. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-11

If in tak there are 23 cases there is a reason to suspect, that in every province bordering myanmar there would be similar numbers. 
there is nothing which makes tak differ from the other. 
kanchanaburi being the biggest and with longest border might be the worse, despite big military presence. Also this province is in shortest direct line to samut sakhon and bangkok

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

Slight??? I make that over 25%. If your boss cut your salary by 25%, would you regard it as a "slight reduction"? I should think not, lol.

Yes, and if it were 2 cases with the previous day having 1 case it would be a 100% increase. It would still be an increase of only one and therefore "slight".

• Like 1

Are they now requiring tests from Thai nationals when they board a flight home to Thailand?

I read about some proposed changes to the rules but you often read about 'proposed' changes which are never implemented.

Would be interesting to know.

• Like 2

Let's see if there is an increase after this holiday  weekend ( should have been cancelled in my opinion) I was in Macro yesterday morning at 7.00 and I could not get a parking space  The place was packed with people clambering to buy fruit and ducks . Crazy 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

Let's see if there is an increase after this holiday  weekend ( should have been cancelled in my opinion) I was in Macro yesterday morning at 7.00 and I could not get a parking space  The place was packed with people clambering to buy fruit and ducks . Crazy 

The only increase will be hospital presentations. Testing it would seem has gone back to 'wave one lvls'. We are number 4 (through lack of testing which has been admitted to) for controlling this and must now keep up the facade.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

The "Bubble and Seal" as they've named it, or in plain speak lock em up in the factories to create herd immunity approach is doing wonders in Samut Sakhon. So good that after the 15th Feb they will be deciding on which measures to ease. 

Just don't mention Bangkok, its the new hotspot.

Samut Sakhon controls may be eased next week; new hotspot in Bangkok’s Pathumwan https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30402540?

“Bubble-and-seal” measures had been imposed on nine factories and 42,424 people where more than 10 per cent infection had been found. Health officials are now testing around 8,000 residents daily for natural immunity to see whether they can be allowed to return home."

Are they saying they are testing the same 8,000 residents daily to see if they have "natural immunity" or a different 8,000 people everyday to see if they have "natural immunity" and what is natural immuity and how does one get it?By getting infected then maybe recovering?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It could be higher in the ASQ's or maybe this is how it has spread by use of a nebulizer.  Australia has just discovered the cause of their lasted outbreak of cases.

Nebulizer That Vaporized Virus Starts New Australia Outbreak - Bloomberg

They are blaming the nebulizer but as some experts have said that although the nebulizer may have slightly increased the aerosolised virus in the room it doesn't explain how the virus escaped the room and infected others.It seems the government wants to hang onto hotel quarantine and not move to the alternatives outside of the cities.

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The "Bubble and Seal" as they've named it, or in plain speak lock em up in the factories to create herd immunity approach is doing wonders in Samut Sakhon. So good that after the 15th Feb they will be deciding on which measures to ease. 

Just don't mention Bangkok, its the new hotspot.

Samut Sakhon controls may be eased next week; new hotspot in Bangkok’s Pathumwan https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30402540?

Do you realize there have been 277 Thais tested positive in the last week in Samut Sakhon? edit: Sorry this is incorrect as I don't have the numbers for last Sat & Sun. So it's more.

Edited by dinsdale

9 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Do you realize there have been 277 Thais tested positive in the last week in Samut Sakhon? edit: Sorry this is incorrect as I don't have the numbers for last Sat & Sun. So it's more.

my post had some added sarcasm that you may have missed. Do I agree with what is happening in Samut Sakhon? No and yes I'm aware of the Thai's also testing positive there

8 hours ago, John Drake said:

What exactly does "walk in" mean, here? That those people spent an hour or so in the lobby waiting with everyone else at the hospital? Everyone at check in used the same blood pressure cuff? Eat or drink at the same coffee bar while waiting? Or were they isolated with a fever when they came in?

Everone has their temp checked when entering hospitals. They are going to the hospital if they ahve symptoms. If Identified, they would not be allowed to mix with others in the hospital. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Health officials are now testing around 8,000 residents daily for natural immunity to see whether they can be allowed to return home."

The quote from the CCSA spokesman "From 15th Feb onwards anti body tests will be conducted at approximately 8,000 samples per day. Those who have developed antibodies and immunity will be allowed to go home"

My quote. Catch covid, recover or stay locked up. The wonderful Thai Health Service, amazing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

“Bubble-and-seal” measures had been imposed on nine factories and 42,424 people where more than 10 per cent infection had been found. Health officials are now testing around 8,000 residents daily for natural immunity to see whether they can be allowed to return home."

Are they saying they are testing the same 8,000 residents daily to see if they have "natural immunity" or a different 8,000 people everyday to see if they have "natural immunity" and what is natural immuity and how does one get it?By getting infected then maybe recovering?

I read the other day they will be doign antibody tests. My concern here is that those that are asymptomatic, and recovered, have been shown elsewhere to not develop a high level of antibodies. This makes sense, as they asymptomatics don't show an immune response. Hence, they may become infected again. They will also need vaccination when it's available. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Love this graph of Thailand's cases, if it was a bitcoin chart it would be accused of being a clear pump and dump operation instead of natural trends up and down. I guess thats what happens when you mass test and then stop.

Thailand-Coronavirus-24-104-Cases-and-80-Deaths-Worldometer.png

But mass testing hasn't stopped. The curve now looks like the first one, just higher. I anticipate it will trend down as the first one did. Lile I've stated before, watch the number of hospitalisations and deaths, not the number of cases (the positivity rate is more important, anyway). 

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It could be higher in the ASQ's or maybe this is how it has spread by use of a nebulizer.  Australia has just discovered the cause of their lasted outbreak of cases.

Nebulizer That Vaporized Virus Starts New Australia Outbreak - Bloomberg

You can't really call that an outbreak none is a local infection

38 minutes ago, DavisH said:

But mass testing hasn't stopped. The curve now looks like the first one, just higher. I anticipate it will trend down as the first one did. Lile I've stated before, watch the number of hospitalisations and deaths, not the number of cases (the positivity rate is more important, anyway). 

Please don't take my bitcoin pump and dump analogy so seriously

Mass testing of 10k+ a day stopped at the end of January  and only lasted for 4 days anyway. Positivity rate depends on which group your testing, in the factories in Samut Sakhon it was 10% and over. If you take the overall postivity rate for all tests done over the whole of Thailand then it varies from 4.2% - 13.8%

1st Feb: Total Tests = 6,024. Positive cases = 836. Positive Rate 13.8%

2nd Feb: Total Tests = 7,578. Positive cases = 836. Positive Rate 11%

3rd Feb: Total Tests = 9,720. Positive cases = 795. Positive Rate 8.2%

4th Feb: Total Tests = 8,506. Positive cases = 809. Positive Rate 9.5%

5th Feb: Total Tests = 9,822. Positive cases = 586. Positive Rate 6%

6th Feb: Total Tests = 5,736. Positive cases = 490. Positive Rate 8.5%

7th Feb: Total Tests = 5,564. Positive cases = 237. Positive Rate 4.2%

They've yet to publish the more recent stats https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DavisH said:

I read the other day they will be doign antibody tests. My concern here is that those that are asymptomatic, and recovered, have been shown elsewhere to not develop a high level of antibodies. This makes sense, as they asymptomatics don't show an immune response. Hence, they may become infected again. They will also need vaccination when it's available. 

Do you know if they will do antibody tests prior to getting a vaccine?I was thinking that might save a lot of vaccines when they are in short supply.