Tinting of clear glass at balcony

Destiny1990

You can have a tinted film applied for not too much money. As the glass is outside/exterior there is no need to pay extra for UV reflection, etc.

I would try one piece first and see what effect direct sun and rain has on the film. If it peels off then no big loss. If it stays on then get the same film put on the other pieces.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its have already clear glass so they can tint it with foil that is suitable for outdoors? Or change the glass,  or ? Sure what company is it?

I don't recognise the word foil, but companies can put a film on the glass, try Fon, she is excellent for all things glass. Add her number for Line

1600833676222.jpg

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

To change the shade of a clear outdoor glass panel is using a foil to make the glass look more tinted a suitable option? Will these foils keep sticking on glass outside in rain and sun ect. Other options?

I have such things but inside. Outside they will not hold so long but of course the results will be better if you want to get rid of heat. They can't completely replace special window glass that is made to keep the heat outside.  But better than nothing. If you only need tinting that people can't look inside then install them inside.

• Like 1

as others said you can hire a professional company to install film, but if you are adventurous and int arts and crafts, you can install soue on your own ,

our front doors has two side windows one foot wide and the height of the door. I did a frosted glass film and it came our good, The biggest problem I had was getting all the air bubbles out, but I did,

not sure if I would want to do it again.  

We are in Khon Kaen and I got the film at the Home Pro. 

4 hours ago, Oldie said:

I have such things but inside. Outside they will not hold so long but of course the results will be better if you want to get rid of heat. They can't completely replace special window glass that is made to keep the heat outside.  But better than nothing. If you only need tinting that people can't look inside then install them inside.

Just i like the balcony glass to look a bit tinted so its just cosmetic reasons. I will have company do some window film and see how long it lasts.????

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

as others said you can hire a professional company to install film, but if you are adventurous and int arts and crafts, you can install soue on your own ,

our front doors has two side windows one foot wide and the height of the door. I did a frosted glass film and it came our good, The biggest problem I had was getting all the air bubbles out, but I did,

Honestly i could never do a better job then these skilled locals about films on windows.. I dont even try it i know my limitations. ????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Honestly i could never do a better job then these skilled locals about films on windows.. I dont even try it i know my limitations. ????

You know what they say "Idle Hands are the devil's workshop" I am retired and have nothing better to do, so I get in al sorts of projects that I have no business getting into. and all sort of trouble ????

You are absolutely right , some of these jobs are best left to the professionals' 

Past pictures after they are done! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Just i like the balcony glass to look a bit tinted so its just cosmetic reasons. I will have company do some window film and see how long it lasts.????

Let them do some (a) trial windows first. You will see their qualification within a couple of days when it is completely dry.

If you use a dark film you will not have the problem. But if you use films with mirror effect than it might be that at night they mirror the inside of the room and so it is not so easy to look outside. But there are different films with different features. Just be aware of this. 

In respect of cleaning be careful. The darker the film the easier you will see scratches. Avoid aggressive chemicals. 

Edited by Oldie
  • Thanks 1

Had all our new house windows coated with Lamina film 10 years ago & it is still in perfect condition. It took them a day to do everything, very well organised and pleasant people. You just have to decide in advance what grade of film you want in each location depending on how much sun.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brommers said:

Had all our new house windows coated with Lamina film 10 years ago & it is still in perfect condition. It took them a day to do everything, very well organised and pleasant people. You just have to decide in advance what grade of film you want in each location depending on how much sun.

Yes but that’s on the inside of your house windows while this is going to be on a outdoor balcony glass that’s another situation.

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

I have aluminium door with tinted glass in the kitchen and put some film on from Home Pro to reduce the sun in the afternoon. Very good but as you say getting the air out can be a pain, been on about 11 years now.

On 2/12/2021 at 4:47 PM, Destiny1990 said:

To change the shade of a clear outdoor glass panel is using a foil to make the glass look more tinted a suitable option? Will these foils keep sticking on glass outside in rain and sun ect. Other options?

This Films work only on the inner side of the Window!

• Like 1

Suggest you research various brands of film used for autos which may also be used for domicile windows. Various UV and Infrared light (heat) blocking specifications are available.  I would recommend installing on the interior facing side of the exterior balcony glass.  I used a very popular brand film on my west facing windows in a Bangkok condo with excellent results in heat blocking.

18 hours ago, brommers said:

Is it fitted outside? 

On 2/13/2021 at 3:19 AM, Destiny1990 said:

I don't understand how it could affect the cosmetic's whether inside or out.

• Like 1

Inside or outside. These films are plastic. Outside you have more UV but also especially more dirt. So normally you will clean the windows outside area more often. If you clean them very carefully (with a lot of water) they will last long. This plastic is not as hard as glass. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tracyb said:

Suggest you research various brands of film used for autos which may also be used for domicile windows. Various UV and Infrared light (heat) blocking specifications are available.  I would recommend installing on the interior facing side of the exterior balcony glass.  I used a very popular brand film on my west facing windows in a Bangkok condo with excellent results in heat blocking.

Any clue to that popular brand please.

There at at least a dozen types of window film on the market. We had about 100 sq. M  installed to cut down UV solar heating, all applied externally and no evidence of it 'peeling'.  You can buy it for DIY installation from Thaiwatsadu.

1312451654_Screenshot2021-02-14at14_09_12.thumb.png.502484519ae9f839802f89abaa9acf01.png

Edited by DaLa
Added photo.
  • Like 1

I have films on almost all of my windows. But this discussion here gave me an idea. I have inside my condo doors with mirrors - for instance at the wardrobe. In real Thai style this is normal mirror glass... That means if I fall on it I might be dead. I asked a local window shop for security mirror glass and they looked at me as if I am crazy. BUT there are security films that make glass more stable. Perhaps I could put such a film on the mirror glass. Did anyone ever do this and how did it look? Perhaps not so good on a mirror? 

3 hours ago, Oldie said:

I have films on almost all of my windows. But this discussion here gave me an idea. I have inside my condo doors with mirrors - for instance at the wardrobe. In real Thai style this is normal mirror glass... That means if I fall on it I might be dead. I asked a local window shop for security mirror glass and they looked at me as if I am crazy. BUT there are security films that make glass more stable. Perhaps I could put such a film on the mirror glass. Did anyone ever do this and how did it look? Perhaps not so good on a mirror? 

There is also privacy mirror film,  so try some on a piece of glass, if it is good enough then buy a piece of toughened glass the size you want and fit the mirror film to it.