The week that was in Thailand news: It's time to "Stop Panning Pattaya"

rooster59

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Wow. Years and years after everyone else in the country started suffering, there is (finally!) sympathy from a Bangkokian who is personally affected. How touching.

ha ha ha   .    Well,  let's be honest....... that is really par for the course with almost all situations in

this  beautiful world we live in .    Who can forget the Who ?  "hope i die before i get old"    hmmm

Now I think many of us are playing air guitar to the new version "  hope i get old before i die ".

schadenfreude is probably much more prevalent in most circles ( i have to look up the spelling every time )....  than empathy.     Anyway,  having lived in the North for the better  part of 30 years I can say

that the pollution WAS much less back in the day.   And I have been planning for a few years now to get down to some cleaner air.   But don't worry,   I doubt you will find me next door .... after changing my name to Samuii Rumak.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Wow. Years and years after everyone else in the country started suffering, there is (finally!) sympathy from a Bangkokian who is personally affected. How touching.

Forgive me, but I genuinely hope that Bangkok suffers a great deal more; that the filth coats every person, every car, every temple, every building, every outdoor space and finally seeps into each and every house/condo/apartment. Let me be clear; I bear no ill-will against the people of Bangkok, but we all know that no action will be taken until you all start to suffer a downside. So, suffer a bit for the good of the nation.

In the larger sense, this is the fundamental problem in Thailand, and until it changes, I don't really believe that the country will progress much. Low education standards in Isaan? No worries; they are high in Bangkok. Bad public transport in Phuket? No worries, there is a new train opening in Bangkok. Low levels of health care in Nakhon Nowhere? No worries, there is lots available in Bangkok. Not much of a political voice in the South and/or the North? No worries, Bangkok will speak for you. Polluting power generation in Krabi? No worries, it'll help keep pollution down in Bangkok. Regional economic stimulus needed? No worries, we'll build more stuff in Bangkok. Etc. Etc. Etc.

If ever there was a country that badly needed economic, social, political and environmental policy decentralization, Thailand is it. Alas, as political power is concentrated in the capital, nothing else matters and nothing will change.

Shame; there are so many possibilities here and now is such a great time for change, but...

Welcome to the country of 'Bangkok and Surrounding Areas', formerly known as Thailand.

Absolutely spot on. I'm often caught saying "if it's good enough for Bangkok, it's good enough for the rest of the country." Unfortunately it has been falling on deaf ears these last 4 decades. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The nearest tall buildings were barely visible in swathes of noxious fog and my eyes were stinging as if I'd put my face into an esky containing box jellyfish in Koh Samet.

And still you are just staying, and torture yourself day by day, instead of finding a better place with healthier air, smaller pollution and green surroundings.

Edited by Dagfinnur Traustason
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

that the filth coats every person, every car, every temple, every building, every outdoor space and finally seeps into each and every house/condo/apartment

???? It's been doing that for years. Rooster was just being nice. I remember when I first got here in '97 just when the crash hit. It was still extremely polluted. I missed the period before the crash so have no comparison.  Only in the past 7-8 yrs have the farmers North of Bangkok quit burning their crop stalks. I live next to farms that use to burn off. I'm glad they stopped. Luckily we don't have the sugar cane.

• Like 1

The demise of the naughty business was happening before Covid to some extent as some girls chose to 'take it online'. But I think there's a lot more to it than an hour of 'horizontal excercise'.  I for one like a bloody good night out and although I'm not such a Pattaya fan these days, in my opinion there's nowhere better for a 'lads night out'.

Pattaya was built on the 'nightlife' and there are lots of naturally nicer places for families to visit.  There will no doubt be changes but I very much doubt Pattaya will change that much.  Last time I was there (pre-covid), the bars were quiet and I put that down to there being just too damned many of them.

They talk about 'Revamping Walking Street' Into - what? Take away the gogo's and half naked totty handing out flyers and what reason have you got to go there? Lots of groups walk up and down Walking Street just to ogle at what its famous for - many have no intention of partaking on what it has to offer, they just want to look. Why on earth would they go there if its gone?  To ogle at 7/11?  If word gets around that there's nothing to look at it will die.

I can see it changing but a gloss of paint doesn't make a new house and 'Neo Pattaya' as reported so far - can't see it happening.

Good news week Rooster, thanks.  I was not surprised the the Goons Only Party guys and gals

voted to support Trump and let him off the impeachment hook.  I do hope that he still gets jail time

from some of his criminal activities. Guess time will tell.  I think that the USA will take about 4 years before 

it is safe to travel to, again, as getting their people to all be vaccinated, will be their next challenge.

Same for Thailand, I will not be back until I get the jab, and then will have to really check the

conditions before leaving Canada, as the people who are out of Canada now.

will have to pay 2000 dollars to quarantine when they return at this time.  I cannot afford that extra

amount, as well as the 12 days of quarantine after that.  Keep up your  good work, and thanks for the                     Valentine reminder. 555

Geezer

Sorry Rooster; but as you say Quote "While holding those in Authority to account important" Unquote  holding them is one thing but how to make them do it is the impossible!!!!. 

And I spotted your sly English dig at Scotland. Why man we even let you drink our whiskey (at a small price ) 

OH!!, and its nice to know your wallet has a bottom, but does the wife know??.  Maybe you can swap with mind so I can Show her indoors it true.  Still a good read Rooster Expect to read your views next week on your fellow professional the bullying Professor. They say there's always a bad apple in the cart but it seems in Thailand it a case of finding the good one.

On 2/14/2021 at 1:34 PM, PatOngo said:

I think that "having a go at Pattaya" is what's needed to bring the changes! Shame them into doing something positive, if that's remotely possible!

Next we will be told that Koh Tao ( death island) is the safest and most honest island in the world.

16 hours ago, Black Angus said:

Sorry Rooster; but as you say Quote "While holding those in Authority to account important" Unquote  holding them is one thing but how to make them do it is the impossible!!!!. 

And I spotted your sly English dig at Scotland. Why man we even let you drink our whiskey (at a small price ) 

OH!!, and its nice to know your wallet has a bottom, but does the wife know??.  Maybe you can swap with mind so I can Show her indoors it true.  Still a good read Rooster Expect to read your views next week on your fellow professional the bullying Professor. They say there's always a bad apple in the cart but it seems in Thailand it a case of finding the good one.

Whiskey with an E is Irish, not Scotch.

On 2/14/2021 at 9:50 AM, rooster59 said:

For now though I think it is time to stop having a go at Pattaya. There was a charming campaign in London in the 1960s/70s entitled alliteratively "Stop Knocking Neasden".

On 2/14/2021 at 9:50 AM, rooster59 said:

I also call on the news media - including Thaivisa - to play their part in this.

????