COVID 19 Vaccine for non Thais

grantbkk

I think the private importation of vaccines - assuming they are approved by the Thai authorities - is currently "off the table". Most expect it will  be back on the table soon.

The general concensus is that by September you should be able to start getting a vaccination at a private hospital here.

I'm not certain how many places there are that you could fly to and get a vaccination? Maybe your home country? If you're over 75 or an essential worker.

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I think the private importation of vaccines - assuming they are approved by the Thai authorities - is currently "off the table". Most expect it will  be back on the table soon.

The general concensus is that by September you should be able to start getting a vaccination at a private hospital here.

I'm not certain how many places there are that you could fly to and get a vaccination? Maybe your home country? If you're over 75 or an essential worker.

Pretty much joking about flying to an airport tarmac to receive a vaccination. I only want to be vaccinated so I can travel without quarantine when we are presented to the new normal. It may never happen but I like to have options.

It is mid February and no one really has a handle on "The Plan".  Numbers don't  ever add up and delivery schedules change daily.  The whole local factory production schedule and now the locally sourced vaccine supposedly moving to human trials is suspicious to me.  It may be best but I  suspect other motives in play.  I do want to buy the vaccine of my choice down the road but hundreds of millions of people have had at least one jab worldwide but Thailand's number remains at zero.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, grantbkk said:

Pretty much joking about flying to an airport tarmac to receive a vaccination. I only want to be vaccinated so I can travel without quarantine when we are presented to the new normal. It may never happen but I like to have options.

It is mid February and no one really has a handle on "The Plan".  Numbers don't  ever add up and delivery schedules change daily.  The whole local factory production schedule and now the locally sourced vaccine supposedly moving to human trials is suspicious to me.  It may be best but I  suspect other motives in play.  I do want to buy the vaccine of my choice down the road but hundreds of millions of people have had at least one jab worldwide but Thailand's number remains at zero.  

Your not an Ozzie then?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, grantbkk said:

It is mid February and no one really has a handle on "The Plan".  Numbers don't  ever add up and delivery schedules change daily. 

How long have you lived here?

You seem surprised by the government's (lack of a ) vaccine plan?

Just relax for six months, there should be some news by then.

Or fly back to the U.S., where you may be able to get a vaccination. 

14 minutes ago, grantbkk said:

I've been here 20 years. Live in Bangkok and eat and drink out often.  I would like the vaccination to start and will pay a private hospital any price for the vaccine of my choice.  I want travel options when we start flying again. I visit other countries and best case everyone will be required to be fully vaccinated to travel without quarantine.  I'm not surprised that through incompetence and corruption Thailand is behind the curve when it comes to vaccination.  The Chinese and locally sourced vaccine is not my first choice.  

Me thinks your plans are a long way off, getting vaccinated doesn't and won't mean that you can skip quarantine as they can't guarantee that the vaccine will stop you from spreading the virus, regardless if it stops it infecting you, in other words, you can get the virus and be asymptomatic, from my understanding of what is happening with the vaccines.

I would listen to the science as the vaccines might not be the way to go, depending on where your health fits in with the science, not the things people are telling us what to do, in other words if the science doesn't add up, think again.

But as someone in the post said, get a pneumonia shot if your over 60 as that is a big killer here, and don't forget the booster a year later and another shot every 5 years thereafter.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, grantbkk said:

I've been here 20 years. Live in Bangkok and eat and drink out often.  I would like the vaccination to start and will pay a private hospital any price for the vaccine of my choice.  I want travel options when we start flying again. I visit other countries and best case everyone will be required to be fully vaccinated to travel without quarantine.  

It is unlikely that any time soon even vaccinated individuals will be allowed to travel quarantine free. A second infection (or first for vaccinated people), though uncommon is not unknown. So even vaccinated you could become infected (symptom free sure) and pass on the infection.

Not enough time has passed to know if vaccines will provide complete protection for others, some provide complete protection from hospitalisation for the vaccinated individuals.

So getting vaccinated for yourself, excellent plan.

Getting vaccinated just to travel, not such a good plan.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

Are you a U.S. veteran by any chance? I’m in America now and I’m only 59 and got called by the VA and offered the Pfizer vaccine which I took. If you are a veteran, you could contact the VA and see if you could get a vaccine if you returned to the states on a visit. Just a thought.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shackleton said:

I am waiting waiting for the British Embassy to advise us

As to when the vaccine will be available to expats and where to get it plus cost

If you are waiting for the BE to advise you could be in for a long wait

On 2/15/2021 at 6:50 AM, grantbkk said:

Can someone ask the PM or the ex construction worker in charge of the Ministry of Health when I can buy my choice of vaccine at a private hospital here?  the total failure and delay of this weeks vaccination plan also fails to provide this information.   Maybe we could do a charter flight to say Sinapore, Pakistan, India or Iran, vaccinate on the tarmac and fly back with no quarantine?

Who tells you that you can buy your vaccination  in Singapore? Or in any of the other countries you listed?

Oh, you can go on a vaccination holiday to Dubai. Sets you back 30thou$US.

Just now, Letseng said:

Why should BE worry about your vaccination in Thailand? Free for you in UK.

Well one reason is they would not want people to have to go to hospital and they can get the money for it. Incidentially I am not currently in the UK. The BE couldnt care less about the British people, so no I agree they wouldnt care

4 hours ago, Letseng said:

Who tells you that you can buy your vaccination  in Singapore? Or in any of the other countries you listed?

Oh, you can go on a vaccination holiday to Dubai. Sets you back 30thou$US.

Exactly you can NOT just fly to another country and buy a jab as a tourist for a few hundred. Thailand may possibly look at jabs for farang but only when every thai has been vaccinated first and that will be next year. 

Is it so hard to understand that I would like to be vaccinated at a private hospital at my own expense and have an array of vaccines to choose from?  I do not trust the Chinese or Thai produced Chinese product and that is my personal choice.  Who would wait until next year to get a Thai developed vaccine?  Hospitals have their own channels to acquire medication.  

No real rush.  I would just like to get the process started.  The ex construction worker in charge of the Ministry of Health stopped and then forbade private hospitals from doing their own thing.  He is not a doctor or even a construction worker anymore but he dresses like a doctor for some reason.

Am I the only one that thinks this whole process stinks and is knee deep in corruption and/or incompetence?  I think not.

• Like 2