Foreigners should be FORCED to have a Covid-19 vaccination - and they should pay for it, Thai poll

webfact

11 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

It's an MNRA vaccine, which is new tech. It doesn't work like previous vaccines. It's not the hair of the dog that bit you. 

It depends which vaccine(s) you're talking about. In Thailand, as far as what has been announced so far, there are no mRNA vaccines in the offing.

There's the SinoVac product, which is an old-fashioned, traditional inactivated virus vaccine and then there's the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine which uses a viral vector technology.

It's true that the O-AZ vaccine is a relatively new construct and does not involve the of use some ingredients that were common in the past (and which could cause allergic reactions) such as eggs, adjuvants and preservatives. However there have still been reports of people with a history of allergic reactions to vaccines, having a poor reaction to it. So I can totally understand why someone whose daughter had adverse vaccine reactions in the past, would not want her to get either of the Covid vaccines that look likely to be used here.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, donnacha said:

I think Europe got the best deal because, after ordering all their member countries to not make their own arrangements, they negotiated for 3 months to achieve a one Euro discount. This was a massive victory, highlighting the advantages of a federal Europe. Unfortunately, they are also now at the back of the queue and, so far, have vaccinated only 5% of their population.

Most EU citizens and counties actually moved up the queue thanks to the EU Programme. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, donnacha said:

What you said was, and I quote:

So, the "truth" of your original misleading claim apparently hinges on the fact that you are not currently paying tax, but actually paid loads of it for three decades.

So, in reality, it is not so much that the government "pays" you, it is that they are kindly giving you back a fraction of what they took from you during the useful period of your life.

Again, nothing that governments give is truly free.

You differentiate between pay and paid! They also gave me education, roads, infrastructure, health care etc!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Most EU citizens and counties actually moved up the queue thanks to the EU Programme. 

The EU contains many countries of varying levels of competence. I am mainly aware that two relatively competent countries, Ireland and Germany, submitted orders at the same time as the UK but were told to cancel them. They were given the impression that the centralized EU orders were being made straight away and there was shock when it because clear that EU sat on their hands for three months.

The one Euro saving per shot is truly bewildering when these countries are paying their citizens hundreds of Euros per week to do nothing. They would have preferred to pay the same price as the UK and get the same 3-month headstart.

Of course, other EU countries may have been even less organized than the EU.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

The one Euro saving per shot is truly bewildering

Where does this amount come from? I thought the commercial terms of the contracts were all confidential (see AZ contract)...

Of course, other EU countries may have been even less organized than the EU.

Most EU countries and their citizens don’t have the clout to get in front of the queue and negotiate a lower price and other favorable conditions that were negotiated through the joint procurement programme. 

4 minutes ago, donnacha said:

The one Euro saving per shot is truly bewildering when these countries are paying their citizens hundreds of Euros per week to do nothing. They would have preferred to pay the same price as the UK and get the same 3-month headstart.

So a vaccination win for Brexit?

I don't know if I want the vaccine or not, luckily for me, living in Thailand, the prospect is so far in the future, I may never have to make a decision about it.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Where does this amount come from? I thought the commercial terms of the contracts were all confidential (see AZ contract)...

My Dad owns Montenegro.

4 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

other favorable conditions that were negotiated through the joint procurement programme. 

You must have noticed the big kerfuffle earlier this month when it became clear that the pharma companies wanted to delivery shipments in the same order that they were purchasing, meaning the EU's three-month delay meant being three months behind the UK.

The other doozy is their relaxed attitude to even authorizing the various various, taking far longer than any other countries despite being provided with exactly the same data. The Irish became so desperate that they even tried to organize their delivery of AZ to be held in a Dublin warehouse so that they could immediately distribute it as soon as the EU got their fingers out. The EU shot down that idea too, saying shipment could not even be allowed on Irish soil until they managed to find their rubber-stamp.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, donnacha said:

You must have noticed the big kerfuffle earlier this month when it became clear that the pharma companies wanted to delivery shipments in the same order that they were purchasing, meaning the EU's three-month delay meant being three months behind the UK.

And I want to own Montenegro. 

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's the mercury that usually causes the problems.

Thimerosal is a mercury-containing organic compound (an organomercurial). Since the 1930s, it has been widely used as a preservative in a number of biological and drug products, including many vaccines, to help prevent potentially life threatening contamination with harmful microbes.

Firstly, Thimerosal (or Thiomersal, as it is also confusingly known) has hardly been used in any vaccines for many years now and is not in any of the current CoVid-19 vaccines for which I've seen the list of ingredients (so basically, all the "western" ones).

Secondly, even if it were, there's no evidence that it would cause harm. As the article linked to below states:

Methyl mercury can be toxic to people, but ethyl mercury, which is contained in thiomersal, is quickly eliminated from the body so it does not build up to reach harmful levels. 

No evidence of harm from mercury-based chemical in vaccine

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Firstly, Thimerosal (or Thiomersal, as it is also confusingly known) has hardly been used in any vaccines for many years now and is not in any of the current CoVid-19 vaccines for which I've seen the list of ingredients (so basically, all the "western" ones).

oddly enough ......... from the FDA website

Multi-dose Injectable flu vaccine contains 25 mcg of thimerosal per 0.5-mL dose

Which I would think negates your 'hardly any', as multi-dose flu vaccine is probably the most widely used vaccine in the world.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We all pay taxes here if we buy just about anything. VAT is what, 7%? Some places break out the VAT on receipt, but most just fold it in.

I would be happy to pay reasonable price for vaccine. More than happy. But I'd want it to be "the good stuff" and know it hadn't been sitting out on a counter for a few days (no way of knowing if that were the case...)

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

oddly enough .........

Injectable flu vaccine contains 25 mcg of thimerosal per 0.5-mL dose

Which I would think negates your 'hardly any', as flu vaccine is probably the most widely used vaccine in the world.

What is the source of that quote? You haven't provided a link so we've no idea where or when that information is from.

There may well be some vaccines to be found somewhere, that still contain thimerosal but I repeat, they are not in widespread use.

Here's another quotation from the same link I posted earlier (did you bother reading it by the way?).

Thiomersal was removed from most UK vaccines between 2003 and 2005, although it was used in the Swine Flu vaccine used in the 2009/10 and 2010/11 flu seasons.

It is not currently found in any vaccines routinely used in the UK. 

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

3 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

And what happens to people like my daughter, that have serious adverse reactions to vaccines? She cannot have them, but she's lived in Thailand for 5 years now. She has nothing left in our home country, her home is here.
Do they even realize there are a lot of people with this problem?

Welcome to Thailand.

If they say all foreigners get vaccines, there’s a high probability that she either gets ones or she leaves.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

While nearly 40% of respondents think foreigners should pay for the vaccine themselves with nearly a third suggesting only taxpayers should get it for free.

So if only taxpayers get it free, what about other 20 million Thai? 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

I'm trying not to worry, but when you see your child have seizures and paralysis (now chronic) from a vax, and the doc tells me she cannot have any more, it is very concerning. I do realize that most likely, people who were polled, know nothing about these issues, so I'm trying to focus on that. I totally agree with your statement on choice.

Eventually it will be mandatory for Foreigners. Of course there should be medical exemptions. covid-19 jabs not even done on kids yet. The questionis how many foreign numpties will leave Thailand for resisting vaccination of no good reason? Then go back your country vax free, but not allowed to a sporting event, in a number of public accommodations and buildings. Maybe not allowed even on the plane back? Better just take the jab.