Forever keen to milk Johnny Foreigner

gunderhill

3 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

You don't get it do you? Any Thai person who goes to live in UK as a spouse, a worker, a student will get the same discount. A Local discount not based on nationality or racism. Same in US.

As already mentioned, it's not a Thai rate and a foreigner rate; it's a resident rate and a tourist rate. A non Thai, including Westerners, living legally in Thailand will, on production of the appropriate ID, pay the same rate as a Thai.

Several years ago I visited an amusement park with my wife and some of her family. As a non resident I paid a higher entrance fee than them.

However, my ticket then entitled me to use every attraction; theirs didn't. My step son had to pay extra for the go karts, which meant he ended up paying more than me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

Double pricing doesn't just happen in Thailand. In my city in the UK, I can gain entry to museums and attractions for free by showing my council tax bill and ID, whereas a Thai person or someone from another town would be charged, and they charge a lot more than in Thailand. In the same vein, most Thais pay tax in Thailand, so get a subsidised rate. A lot of tourists call this practice racist but it is probably happening in your home country also.

But foreigners who live here and pay tax should not be charged extra. Should it be abolished? I don't know, but it's not necessarily racist to charge more to people who don't pay tax here, no matter how much they give to barladies.

well said 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

You don't get it do you? Any Thai person who goes to live in UK as a spouse, a worker, a student will get the same discount. A Local discount not based on nationality or racism. Same in US.

a Thai in the UK has more money, there are many poor people here, farangs are not, so they need to stop whining about it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

51 minutes ago, OswaldBastable said:

In England museum entrance is free for everyone (special exhibitions sometimes charge), the advertised ticket price is just a suggested donation. Until last week I was entering 3-4 times a week, V&A is amazing, National gallery and British Museum also worthwhile.

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/inspiration/the-10-best-free-attractions-the-uk

Privately owned museums in the UK are not free.

Neither are many government owned ones; the Tower of London for example.

When my wife's family visited us, they were amazed that I had to pay at all to visit the Tower, let alone pay the same as them. "It's your history, your culture; why do you have to pay?"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

a Thai in the UK has more money, there are many poor people here, farangs are not, so they need to stop whining about it. 

Agreed but they need to stop whining because it will never change. Many Thai people have much more money than me, and I have more than others Thai or foreign. They can keep the dirty waterfall,  low quality attraction for themselves.  I have no affinity to racist pricing schemes and can avoid as long as I stay out of hospitals and "metered taxis".

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I have no affinity to racist pricing schemes 

It's not actually racist because they are giving subsidised prices to people who pay tax here. However, the implementation of this policy, whereby they try and charge anyone who looks different because they assume that they do not pay tax is definitely wrong. And that anyone with Asian features can get the Thai price if they just keep their trap shut is not right.

Like most things in Thailand, the rules are not the issue, it's the implementation and enforcement of them that's the problem.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Agreed but they need to stop whining because it will never change. Many Thai people have much more money than me, and I have more than others Thai or foreign. They can keep the dirty waterfall,  low quality attraction for themselves.  I have no affinity to racist pricing schemes and can avoid as long as I stay out of hospitals and "metered taxis".

Sounds to me like you need to stay away from Thailand altogether. 

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Double pricing, if foreigners really were charged or expected to pay much more than a Thai for MAJOR purchases, then reason to complain, pay higher entry to National Parks to fund the upkeep, nah fellas you are just miserable tight gits!!

When I go to the 7/11, supermarkets, gas stations, fast food, local markets, I pay the same price that Thais pay, whether I am on my own or my wife and son are with me.

If you wish to pay 10 times the price for something then an old saying that my Mum used to use.

You have more money than sense.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you are willing or simple enough to throw your money away, then throw it my way. I can always make use of it.

Simple Bill? Prepared to pay 300 baht for something I want to experience ????

Why would it bother me that some poor Thai person pays less, not me Bill, life is too short to complain about 300 baht, to do that you would have to be a bit removed from reality!! or made too many other poor decisions in life!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Simple Bill? Prepared to pay 300 baht for something I want to experience ????

Why would it bother me that some poor Thai person pays less, not me Bill, life is too short to complain about 300 baht, to do that you would have to be a bit removed from reality!! or made too many other poor decisions in life!!

What price would you complain about?

1 minute ago, Sujo said:

What price would you complain about?

I wouldn't, as others have said, I would evaluate and decide if the price/value was ok for me

Example: I am paying to come to Thailand shortly, a bit more than 300 baht, it does not bother me one bit Thai people quarantine free, why would it? I chose the route and accommodation that suited me, accepted the costs, and am looking forward to my arrival. I don't care what anybody else pays!!! Why would I?

300 baht phhht get real guys

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I wouldn't, as others have said, I would evaluate and decide if the price/value was ok for me

Example: I am paying to come to Thailand shortly, a bit more than 300 baht, it does not bother me one bit Thai people quarantine free, why would it? I chose the route and accommodation that suited me, accepted the costs, and am looking forward to my arrival. I don't care what anybody else pays!!! Why would I?

300 baht phhht get real guys

we not talking about quarantine we talking about this

2pr8ce.jpg

2price.jpg

safe_image.php.jpg

• Like 1

Oh come on,.... You are all big misers... 

On average foreigners in Thailand are richer than Thais, on average ofc (not individual cases). If you pay 300 Baht (9 USD) to enter a park, or a museum and a Thai pays 50 Baht, so what.... Wouldn't you pay like at least 20 USD to visit the same thing back in the West?

Life in Thailand is cheaper compared to western countries, what more you want? 

Wealthy people are wealthy because they make money, not because they bargain to save 6 USD whenever they are on their leisure time visiting some tourist attraction. Don't be fooled. 

I am not in favor of the double pricing, but neither am I against it. Just let it be, it is what it is. 

Same like the win guys charging 20 Baht extra to you for being farang than they would to a normal Thai. Would you seriously have face to bargain 20 Baht with someone who can barely afford the food that he eats while in the meantime you are in another country, so you must be richer than him. 

13 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

because there is enough money in the UK economy to keep them going, not so in Thailand. Comparisons with the west on entrance fees are irrelevant.  If someone didn't pay more, the poor here wouldn't see them. But of course the persecution complex of some on this forum can.t see past their own prejudices. 

On 3/11/2021 at 12:00 AM, itsari said:

I am not seeing what you are looking at . If you buy a new car , are you expected to pay four times the price that Thai people pay ? 

Sure your right for commercial products but for Thai nature parks that are paid for by the Thai state i can see the difference. I hate dual pricing and i believe they wanted to stop it at nature parks too. But i get it some things that are paid for the state should be free or cheaper for Thais. 

Not stuff like new cars.

On 3/11/2021 at 12:08 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Debate aside: I entered Koh Samet (which is a national Park) with my Pink ID and received the same price as my Wife. 

It seems some parks are more strict on charging foreigners the 10x rate than others.

I always try my "pink" ID card but up to now, nobody accepted it.

45513F9E-CBC7-49A5-B0B0-19F52EBD80C7_4_5005_c.jpeg

15 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Privately owned museums in the UK are not free.

Neither are many government owned ones; the Tower of London for example.

When my wife's family visited us, they were amazed that I had to pay at all to visit the Tower, let alone pay the same as them. "It's your history, your culture; why do you have to pay?"

Hmmm, nice Thai thinking......... perhaps they expect us to get discounts on Fuller's London Pride, Guinness, Scotch Whisky and London Dry Gin..?

Illogic all around in this thread. Everyone in Thailand pays the same price for booze, a loaf of bread and public transport. Why should tourist attractions be any different. The only time we don't is if a local trader gouges the price.

Just to invite criticisms of hypocrisy, I would actually allow Thais free entry to The Grand Palace and any temples.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You referring to farang school teachers earnings?

They generally earny MUCH less than Thai professionals. So the salary argument is rubbish. 

My opinon is anyone who pays tax here should get the local rate, as those proceedings "should" be used for upkeep of parks and facilities. 

But its pleasurable to see the giverment suffering through lack of tourists (hence, no government sponsored scams beign undertaken). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Hmmm, nice Thai thinking......... perhaps they expect us to get discounts on Fuller's London Pride, Guinness, Scotch Whisky and London Dry Gin..?

Illogic all around in this thread. Everyone in Thailand pays the same price for booze, a loaf of bread and public transport. Why should tourist attractions be any different. The only time we don't is if a local trader gouges the price.

Just to invite criticisms of hypocrisy, I would actually allow Thais free entry to The Grand Palace and any temples.

Temples, Palaces and National parks ARE the legacy of the Thai people. Of course there should be free entry. Any foreigner married, working here, kids, etc should be availed of Thai citizenship after 5-7 years just like most other places.

Anybody who lives here legally should get a local discount for attractions in Chiang Mai like the Zoo.  Like me based on retirement visa and condo ownership.  Thai Tourists from BKK should be charged more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/11/2021 at 12:07 AM, impulse said:

If you're going to get upset about $10 for traveling to an internationally famous tourist destination, you're going to get ulcers or high blood pressure.  Maybe both.

Principles 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Temples, Palaces and National parks ARE the legacy of the Thai people. Of course there should be free entry. Any foreigner married, working here, kids, etc should be availed of Thai citizenship after 5-7 years just like most other places.

Anybody who lives here legally should get a local discount for attractions in Chiang Mai like the Zoo.  Like me based on retirement visa and condo ownership.  Thai Tourists from BKK should be charged more.

Not all Temples are of Thai origin, taking that logic Khmer should be let in free to their legacy temples and the Thai charged

23 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

Double pricing doesn't just happen in Thailand. In my city in the UK, I can gain entry to museums and attractions for free by showing my council tax bill and ID, whereas a Thai person or someone from another town would be charged, and they charge a lot more than in Thailand. In the same vein, most Thais pay tax in Thailand, so get a subsidised rate. A lot of tourists call this practice racist but it is probably happening in your home country also.

But foreigners who live here and pay tax should not be charged extra. Should it be abolished? I don't know, but it's not necessarily racist to charge more to people who don't pay tax here, no matter how much they give to barladies.

The problem is when it happens to oneself.

3 hours ago, itsari said:
On 3/10/2021 at 11:07 AM, impulse said:

If you're going to get upset about $10 for traveling to an internationally famous tourist destination, you're going to get ulcers or high blood pressure.  Maybe both.

Principles 

So true.  Demanding western principles in an eastern culture is a surefire recipe for a serene, happy life.

Thailand, Inc is an organization operated for the benefit of Thai citizens.  Not foreigners who have chosen to stay in Thailand (without benefit of citizenship).   Not foreigners who may pay taxes in Thailand.  Not foreigners who lovingly call Thailand home.  For the benefit of Thai passport holders. 

The sooner I accepted that, the fewer windmills I tilted at, and the lower my blood pressure.  Spicy Thai food still gave me heartburn...

You don't like it?  Get a passport.  That process will give you a legitimate reason to question your love of LOS.  I decided that it was easier to spend less than 0.1% of my take home pay on dual priced attractions every year.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1