Benz/BMW - Not That Expensive. What's the alternative?

pedro01

14 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Mind you - I will say one thing - that 'special attention' you get sure wears off as the car ages and these car park attendants seem to be trained to tell the difference between differently priced models. This isn't just snobbery, it seems to be educated, focused snobbery. 

I think if you need to think attendants service about choosing  car ! Then you need driver and Rolls Royce! Ok im not live in Bangkok or other big city where even get that kind of service but your thinking is really strange! When im home in Thailand i live in countryside (isan) and drive whit Hilux, and have huge "Richard" !

11 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

I think if you need to think attendants service about choosing  car ! Then you need driver and Rolls Royce! Ok im not live in Bangkok or other big city where even get that kind of service but your thinking is really strange! When im home in Thailand i live in countryside (isan) and drive whit Hilux, and have huge "Richard" !

If I drive to a car park in a shopping mall - I get different spaces depending on which car I am in.

A while back, my 5 year old car would have them moving cones and giving me pride of place when it was new - but that faded,  get no special treatment. My new car has them doing it again.

They definitely know the difference in models/age. It's not the reason you buy the car but it's a benefit. For them - it's a marketing thing. If you drive into a car park and see rows of flash cars, it gives an air of... well I am not sure... but I think it means it's not going to be a cheap shopping trip. Maybe it lubricates the credit card.

Like I said - it's not just snobbery, it's precision snobbery. Sniper snobbery. Recently I took a friend to Emquartier and one of the car lifts was broken down, there was a cone at the entrance of the lift which quickly got moved and I got to park at the entrance to the lift. My friend asked why they'd let me in that space and no-one else and I reflected on it and said "if you don't know now, you won't like Thailand any more if you do" and I left it at that. 

As for the size of your p3n1s, I don't think they can tell when you are sitting down driving - if they can, then you must be pretty well endowed.

Edited by pedro01
  • Haha 2

Clearly they are cheaper and cheaper.

And you really get respect on the roads.

Never any POS somchai dares to cut the way or use his horn when I am driving a German car, but it always happen in a $hit truck, as they see you as similar to them.

Edited by l4ml4m

23 minutes ago, l4ml4m said:

Never any POS somchai dares to cut the way or use his horn when I am driving a German car, but it always happen in a $hit truck, as they see you as similar to them.

Tell it how it is mate, don't spare your words.

Consumer Reports recently did an article on cost of ownership, over and above the cost of the vehicle. BMW and Mercedes were the clear "winners" with yearly costs much much higher than the rest(after the freebies expired of course).

If there's interest, I'll try and find the article. 

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

Consumer Reports recently did an article on cost of ownership, over and above the cost of the vehicle. BMW and Mercedes were the clear "winners" with yearly costs much much higher than the rest(after the freebies expired of course).

If there's interest, I'll try and find the article. 

I’m interested

What alternatives? 

Much of that depends where a prospective buyer is located and what dealer / servicing network is available.

In Bangkok i would suggest that Volvo is a good alternative with their 400+ hp hybrid electric power-plants.

Many manufacturers are offering 5 year full service & warranty these days.

With regards to road presence & respect of others ‘somchais’ when in a more expensive vehicle... it’s a thing for sure, size definitely counts on Thailand’s, but whether we like it or not or even accept it, the appearance of wealth also counts...

No one bully’s the S500 Merc out of the way in their Toyota Fortuna. 

As far as parking perks etc... whatever floats yer boat !!... if I have a 5MB car I want to park it where someone is less likely to ding it - I think that’s fair enough. 

I care if someone dings my Mazda, but not as much as I’d care if someone dinged the M5 BMW (I don’t own one btw). 

With regards the standard 3 series BMWs, Mercs etc they’re just standard cars, a bit nicer, that’s all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Toyota Yaris gets best car award of the year. 

In Thailand unless you have deep pockets BM's & Merc's are of course Statest symbols.

Rural places though it's the Fortuna,  Plajero, Everest,  etc. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, l4ml4m said:

Clearly they are cheaper and cheaper.

And you really get respect on the roads.

Out of my way.

Here comes I4mI4m, the German warrior.

E2FA5BF1-CBFA-49FB-A964-454ACB536063_4_5005_c.jpeg

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

What alternatives? 

Its 2021, forget the personal "car".   Use public transpo, Bolt, get an EV scooter or small transport.  Simplify your life by learning how to live without a car. 

This will help the local economy and you.

No more worries about insurance, maintenance, status, and parking. ✌️

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Camry is a good option ... so is Accord.

I never find that I get offered a better parking space in the mall. I always have to find my own space.

But you are correct, if there is a parking attendant anywhere, e.g. hotel, yes I get better treatment I think than others. 

We have a W213 And I think the ride is very poor On anything but a good road. Of course on a good road it is a lovely ride.  Just not suited to Thailand roads...........,

Don’t waste your money......I wouldn’t   buy that car again...but the money loss in the two years that we have had it...MrsJ would cut my ‘whatever’ off if I did.......and then bought something else

TBH A lot of the time I prefer to drive our five year old Everest T+

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Its 2021, forget the personal "car".   Use public transpo, Bolt, get an EV scooter or small transport.  Simplify your life by learning how to live without a car. 

How does it help the local economy?

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yeah, no one is giving out “special” parking to 3 and 5 series BMWs or  low-end benzes unless maybe you’re out in the provinces. 

There is a huge sign at Central Plaza Phuket (the most "hi-so" shopping mall on the island) showing all cars allowed into the supercar parking. Basically every BMW m-series and every Mercedes AMG is allowed, even the cheapest versions of those.

So a 5series is not allowed, the 3 series M (or smaller) is allowed even though its often cheaper.

I cant say i really understand the point of this topic. Is there an alternative to a merc/bmw? It all depends on why you want one.

To go from A to B the alternative can be a motorbike or the skytrain. To get supercar parking in shopping malls or be percieved as "important" by some a motorbike wont work. If you really want a BMW then there is no alternative in the world, not even a Porsche or Bentley will do.

So buy a bmw or mercedes if you want one and have the money. No need to find excuses for your purchase, just enjoy it. And also no need to brag about it, just enjoy the car.

• Like 2

One big factor when I consider buying a car is the service convenience. I have owned BM, Benz, Honda, Volvo and Toyota. I find Toyota is most convenient in terms of service centers. Honda is close second. BM is not exactly conveniently located and Volvo is the worst. Benz is slightly better than BM. The latter trio also are not cheap to repair. That's another big factor. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Those are no alternatives at all.... 

Bolt / Grab / Regular taxi’s do not have Child safety seats....  Taking my son to school each day and collecting him is not an option I will entertain. Neither is the school van while he is still young. 

Small transport? motorcycle? Not and option for my Wife or son. 

Simplify my life? Life is made much simpler by having a car.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

According to a mechanic with over 50 years experience (yeah, what does he know? ????)...

Mercedes/BMW/Audi/VW/Porsche all fall apart at high mileage, and need expensive repairs (Germans don't make low maintenance cars that are easy to repair) and turn into ENDLESS MONEY PITS.

Way better off buying a Toyota or Honda.  <deleted> "fun to drive" or "good looks". ????

• Haha 1