Thai teacher who shattered a young student's US army dream now looks a whole lot worse

webfact

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The online post said "yes, you heard me correctly, they were made to "graap" when they had done nothing wrong". 

Well, in Thai culture they had done something pretty bad by publicly criticising and embarrassing their teacher.

You can't just wish away an entire culture because you have access to the internet and see things are different in other cultures.  

I wonder how the kid would feel if suddenly he was able to fail at school or saw genuine consequences for his actions.  I have no doubt he probably rides a motorbike with no helmet, licence or insurance.

The whole "I'd like to carefully select and demand rights from other cultures that benefit me while also maintaining the lack of rights in my culture that also benefit me" attitude is a recipe for a pretty crappy generation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, John Drake said:

She has more recently condemned the regime. Worth noting, I think. 

“As a Thai-American who fought to protect the right to peacefully protest here at home, I know that both the long-standing, strong relationship between the US and Thailand as well as every individual’s inalienable democratic rights are critically important to uphold and defend,” said Duckworth."

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/us-senators-propose-resolution-to-support-thai-pro-democracy-protests/

4 hours ago, GaPeachinBKK said:

She has more recently condemned the regime. Worth noting, I think. 

“As a Thai-American who fought to protect the right to peacefully protest here at home, I know that both the long-standing, strong relationship between the US and Thailand as well as every individual’s inalienable democratic rights are critically important to uphold and defend,” said Duckworth."

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/us-senators-propose-resolution-to-support-thai-pro-democracy-protests/

I haven't gone back to look at this story. But if I remember correctly, Duckworth "supported" this resolution. My question is: why didn't she sponsor it? Wasn't it Durbin and Menendez who sponsored it? She couldn't very well let the resolution pass by without her support. That would have looked horrible. Back when she visited Thailand and Prayut she had the chance to say something directly and didn't. I can only assume that is because she is a supporter of the status quo. I make no judgment one way or the other about the good or bad of such a position. I'm just noting it. 

23 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Please respect Thai culture. 

All respect for Thai culture has disappeared from me, after they (vets) refused to put my dog down, and I had to watch her die in pain and anguish from a cancerous tumour for 3 weeks. :angry:

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

All respect for Thai culture has disappeared from me, after they (vets) refused to put my dog down, and I had to watch her die in pain and anguish from a cancerous tumour for 3 weeks. :angry:

Why did you not put down your dog yourself when the vet would not, so its suffering could end?

• Like 1