7 eleven general rant

Kenny202

1 minute ago, Patong2021 said:

I sympathize,  doubt that the 7-11 loses any money. As you  observe, the  store is busy. If customers did not like the format, no one would go.  Thais are tolerant of beggara, unless in a hiso area. For the superstitious, It is bad luck to move them and it is unlikely the low paid 7-11 worker will want to. If people were upset, they would not give money in hopes of buying merit, much like Europeans did with their indulgences back in 1300's.

I am not disagreeing with you because I think you are 100% correct, but this is Thailand social fabric where people  are ok eating stall food  in presence of noise, car fumes and traffic. We see druggies and itinerants parked in tube/metro station around the world and some big cities  have the mentally ill in full walk about. Be grateful that you have the money to go to  any 7-11 you wish,  that you are not the man  in doorway, and do not have to eat  rubbish quality soup in parking lot . These people have subsistence lives surviving day to day and do not know any better.

I understand all that, have lived here for some years now...but I can't see those sort of sentiments being accepted in CP boardrooms. They are an exceptionally professional organization. I can't see them tolerating food stalls clogging up their car parks for the good of the community. Like most things here probably no logical answer.

• Like 1

Since about five years ago, new 7-elevens I have seen in Pattaya and Udon Thani have larger customer-only parking out front and signage that prohibits stopping more than maybe 15 minutes. I have never seen food vendors setting up on these frontages. Maybe newer franchise owners are prohibited from sub-letting their dedicated frontage by CP All (the franchise owners) or when CP All develops a new site, they invest in a larger, all-inclusive plot that doesn't include 'public' pavement/sidewalk? The only congested frontage I see are on the older, smaller 7-elevens that have maybe only sidewalk frontage and kerbside parking. They still tend to have noodle sellers and the like taking up space as that may not 'belong' to the 7-eleven?

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

From family experience - you can complain to 7/11 headquarters or whatever. They will sort it out. There are guideline for those picking up the franchise, with some variance according to 'plan' picked. There's obviously a downside, as the owner can know who complained. If you live really nearby (as in family case) or plan on buying there regularly, maybe rethink.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Morch said:

From family experience - you can complain to 7/11 headquarters or whatever. They will sort it out. There are guideline for those picking up the franchise, with some variance according to 'plan' picked. There's obviously a downside, as the owner can know who complained. If you live really nearby (as in family case) or plan on buying there regularly, maybe rethink.

No, not looking to make waves or change the world here. It is what it is and it seems to be like this everywhere. I just find it hard to understand why the Thais tolerate seemingly intolerable things. Maybe its lucky for us they do. I doubt any of these stores are  franchises. I'm in a large city albeit a few k's out. I was under the impression it was only smaller country 7 elevens were franchised.

7 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I just find it hard to understand why the Thais tolerate seemingly intolerable things

the obvious answer is that the things you think are intolerable are not in the least to them... actually, or to me either... I bought chicken for my dogs at one of those vendors.. it was quite convenient

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I understand all that, have lived here for some years now...but I can't see those sort of sentiments being accepted in CP boardrooms. They are an exceptionally professional organization. I can't see them tolerating food stalls clogging up their car parks for the good of the community. Like most things here probably no logical answer.

If it's a franchised shop, CP's opinions about the franchisee's use of his own property are irrelevant, they still get their royalties.  

You assume that there is "no logical answer" but there may well be one that you have to ask the shop owner for that would justify his business decisions to you.  You also assume that the owner is losing business because of this but you have no way of knowing whether that is the case in any significant way.

• Like 1

How do you know the beggar is drunk? He may be disabled, in which case you will be making merit by helping him with a donation.

This is Thailand, one farang's opinion is not going to change things. I just ignore all the crazy stuff that goes on, I might go as far as to shake my head, not worth getting stressed about it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

I sympathize,  doubt that the 7-11 loses any money. As you  observe, the  store is busy. If customers did not like the format, no one would go.  Thais are tolerant of beggara, unless in a hiso area. For the superstitious, It is bad luck to move them and it is unlikely the low paid 7-11 worker will want to. If people were upset, they would not give money in hopes of buying merit, much like Europeans did with their indulgences back in 1300's.

I am not disagreeing with you because I think you are 100% correct, but this is Thailand social fabric where people  are ok eating stall food  in presence of noise, car fumes and traffic. We see druggies and itinerants parked in tube/metro station around the world and some big cities  have the mentally ill in full walk about. Be grateful that you have the money to go to  any 7-11 you wish,  that you are not the man  in doorway, and do not have to eat  rubbish quality soup in parking lot . These people have subsistence lives surviving day to day and do not know any better.

Loosen up folks, why get excited about something you cannot do anything about.

What does it matter to members on here, if 7/11 were not happy with the situation, they would certainly sort it out.

Just think yourselves lucky it is now 91 months since i was last in a 7/11, impossible for me to get in any in this area, damned steps outside.

Edited by colinneil
  • Thanks 1