New cars having bits missing

Oxx

On 3/13/2021 at 1:03 PM, Oxx said:

I noticed it on both the Toyota Cross and C-HR.  The salesman told me that no new Toyotas have either spare tyre or cigar lighter.

Anybody aware of same picture with new Honda cars?

1 hour ago, SomchaiCNX said:

That's what you get when only managers and accountants run a business. 

Accountants and lawyers running everything these days... 

It was worked out somewhere that saving the weight of spare wheel would reduce emissions by 0.00X gms per year to meet some emmisions requirements so the cost of something else could be cut to please the accountants, lawyers approved it !!!

The same thing holds for the reason a rear-seat doesn’t ‘ding’ like the front seats when someone sits in it and doesn’t wear their seatbelts. Accountants worked out that its more costly, lawyers worked out that as its not law no one is accountable for providing that to their cars !!!

• Like 1

Manufactures have the choice to offer four different options, each one has it's pros and cons (limitations) ...

1 ... Full size spare

2 ... Reduced size spare

3 ... No spare but supplied with tyre sealant and compressor

4 ... RFT's (Run Flat Tyres).

'Several' guys on 'youtube' giving their opinions as to which option is best. Option's 3 and 4 seem to be gaining popularity, more so with certain German  Manufactures.

Many posters here will have their own opinions which will no doubt differ, and sometimes  from actual experiences. Personally I have owned cars supplied with options 1, 2 and 4.

For me option 4 would be the preferred one if it wasn't for such a harsh ride and the increased risk of cracking a very expensive rim in one of the many potholes that you unfortunately find on Thailand roads.

When the time comes to change the tyres on the vehicle we have with option 4,  I may very well opt to drop down to option 3, as many owners have. But against that is 'especially here in Thailand' would you really want yourself or your wife stuck on some quite road trying to deal with a flat tyre.

I am surprised at the number of soft-handed men nowadays who wouldn't know how to change a tire if their life depended on it.  I think the trend towards inflators and runflats are for these drivers who don't want to get their hands dirty.

In societies with such low labor costs, drivers will prefer to call for servicing if anything happens to their car rather than get dirt under their nails.

• Like 1

I don't mind getting dirty, but I prefer to call for free servicing here in the US.  Bro In Law auto repair. 555  He used to have a motorcycle repair shop in Loei and later Khon Kaen. Some of the farang bikers in Loei still remember him.

(Well, I did pay for his citizenship fee and sponsored his family.)  

image.jpeg.a86ebb7b0947e85b634d5e8392157974.jpeg   image.png.8a999305a9a46a4831cbd9b80f876dc8.png

e

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, elgenon said:

I hate it but kinda understand the logic. They want to have the lightest car possible

... so when the tyre bursts the driver can put the car on his back and carry it to the nearest garage?