When will foreigners get the vaccine? (Retirement visas, etc.)

cubism001

The only vaccine in use currently can not be used for those over 60 and that seems to be the only available vaccine for immediate future.

The vaccine for those over 60 is on hold (but may start to be given next week - but seems to be for government officials currently and in very limited supply.

No hospitals have received authorization to import vaccine so not other options.

So about the only answer is time will tell.  But at this time most Thai have no schedule to receive if not medical or officials.  And government seems to require 30 day lead to allow imports after any are approved for import by private hospitals from todays reports.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

so far there is no need for a vax when extending any visa.

might be required later on, when it's widely available, which might be sometimes at the end of year.

I think there would need insurance and some application - similar, to what is required from tourists.

some patients did receive mails from private hospitals, if they are interested in jab. 

I think having the potential to get a vaccine will be linked, eventually, to understanding what the ramifications of not being vaccinated are, both domestically and internationally. 

As it stand now, for me, I am over 60, no comorbidities and healthy. The data shows that IF I were to be extraordinarily unlucky and contract the illness from SARS-CoV-2, my chances of survival would be over 99 percent. Given that only about four-one hundred of a thousandth of one percent have even tested positive for covid in Thailand; in concert with the survival rate...one wonders what target percentage a vaccine would be helpful with. 

What I am saying is that if a vaccine were available for me tomorrow, I would not take it UNLESS there were overriding reasons to do so unrelated to health, such as contingencies on freedom of travel, ie, buses, trains and airplanes (and border crossings) for examples. 

I read some time ago that when a vaccine is available, it will be made free of charge to Thais -- or put perhaps more concisely, "Thailand will offer its citizens the vaccine free of charge." 

I have also heard rumors -- totally unsubstantiated -- that non-citizens would be able to buy their way into being vaccinated. When would this happen? When there are enough doses "to go around," whatever that number might be, one presumes. 

Keep in mind that Thailand has suspended the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine due to apparent risks of blood clots. This would certainly push the general timeframe back. 

But then again...didn't I also read that officials said that Thailand would be fully back to normal in October? 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trujillo said:

I think having the potential to get a vaccine will be linked, eventually, to understanding what the ramifications of not being vaccinated are, both domestically and internationally. 

As it stand now, for me, I am over 60, no comorbidities and healthy. The data shows that IF I were to be extraordinarily unlucky and contract the illness from SARS-CoV-2, my chances of survival would be over 99 percent. Given that only about four-one hundred of a thousandth of one percent have even tested positive for covid in Thailand; in concert with the survival rate...one wonders what target percentage a vaccine would be helpful with. 

What I am saying is that if a vaccine were available for me tomorrow, I would not take it UNLESS there were overriding reasons to do so unrelated to health, such as contingencies on freedom of travel, ie, buses, trains and airplanes (and border crossings) for examples. 

I read some time ago that when a vaccine is available, it will be made free of charge to Thais -- or put perhaps more concisely, "Thailand will offer its citizens the vaccine free of charge." 

I have also heard rumors -- totally unsubstantiated -- that non-citizens would be able to buy their way into being vaccinated. When would this happen? When there are enough doses "to go around," whatever that number might be, one presumes. 

Keep in mind that Thailand has suspended the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine due to apparent risks of blood clots. This would certainly push the general timeframe back. 

But then again...didn't I also read that officials said that Thailand would be fully back to normal in October? 

Your assumption of virus risk is based upon the results of the initial version of the virus. It has been mutating and continues to mutate. The 3rd wave the EU and North America is facing is due to the variants which are more infectious and more lethal. The 3rd waves are being modeled for the expected younger people and their infections will be  as intense as older people  in the first wave. The 1st wave models have been shown as reliable so the new models should be as reliable.  The point is  that the new variants will be just as dangerous, and will be hitting younger people more.

The reason we do not see the amount of hospitalization and death with over 75 year old now is that many have already died; Most at risk have been vaccinated and there are better treatment methods.

Thailand  can say whatever it wants, but the only vaccines it will be able to easily access are  from China, Russia and India.  The EU and USA has imposed export controls on their vaccines with their  citizens getting priority. I doubt Thailand will get the better quality vaccines  until close to 2022.  The big hope is with  one does J&J product. Unfortunately, it has  priority contracts with other countries.

If foreigners are intent on being vaccinated, they  should give consideration to going to countries where the desired vaccines are available.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

As an expat it is foolish to think that the Thai government is in any way interested in you or beholden to offer you free vaccination. You had better get ready to pay but who knows when private hospitals will be allowed to offer vaccines because the government is going to make damn sure that no one gets private treatment before the state system begins. And that is unlikely to happen on the dates suggested because they are reliant on a totally incompetent producer in Astra Zeneca. Plus, China is now charging double to quadruple the cost of the mRNA vaccines that are being produced in the US on a for profit basis & their vaccines are not suitable for older people.. So accept that you will not be vaccinated this calendar year.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Has anyone heard anything about foreigners, who are not retired, but work and pay taxes and have social insurance here in Thailand, being able to get a free Covid vaccine?  I saw a few articles about this earlier this year, including the one below, but nothing saying we are guaranteed a free vaccine.  

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/questions-raised-about-when-covid-19-vaccine-will-be-available-to-expats

Edited by CharlieH
Link to BP removed as per forum rules.

19 minutes ago, loser4life said:

Has anyone heard anything about foreigners, who are not retired, but work and pay taxes and have social insurance here in Thailand, being able to get a free Covid vaccine?  I saw a few articles about this earlier this year, including the one below, but nothing saying we are guaranteed a free vaccine.  

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/questions-raised-about-when-covid-19-vaccine-will-be-available-to-expats

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2070455/covid-vaccinations-for-everyone-in-thailand

If the flu vaccine programme is anything to go by then you will need a yellow book and be registered at a government hospital.

The vaccine will be allocated to government hospitals on the basis of how many live in the area.

Whether it is free or not, you won't know until the needle is in the arm and you have left the hospital.

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

If the flu vaccine programme is anything to go by then you will need a yellow book and be registered at a government hospital.

The vaccine will be allocated to government hospitals on the basis of how many live in the area.

Whether it is free or not, you won't know until the needle is in the arm and you have left the hospital.

That will not be so, unless you want to to down that route. You will eventually be able to get it at Private Hospitals without all that yellow book/registration rubbish, but not yet a while. And all you will get at Pubic hospitals will be the China stuff, which I would for one never touch, free or not. . You can bet that in this country, the private sector will want to make plenty of dosh out of providing it to expats and others who can and will pay. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

That will not be so, unless you want to to down that route. You will eventually be able to get it at Private Hospitals without all that yellow book/registration rubbish, but not yet a while. And all you will get at Pubic hospitals will be the China stuff, which I would for one never touch, free or not. . You can bet that in this country, the private sector will want to make plenty of dosh out of providing it to expats and others who can and will pay. 

You are perfectly free to use private hospitals if that is your want, I will stick to the government hospitals.

People asked for information and I have experience with the free flu jab programme so why not just accept the information for what it is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Yes, I can't see it being any different from the flu vaccine.  If you want it, you'll have to pay for it.  

• Like 1

What vaccine?  Thailand has yet to acquire any viable vaccines.  Personally, I would not take either Sinovac or AstraZenica as neither have been proven effective for those above the age of 65.  AstraZenica has also recently been shown to have several undesirable issues.  I would feel much safer taking the Moderna, Pfizer, or J&J vaccines.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Move to here.

If seen very little info about when they will be available.

The best option may be to get them at private hospitals that are working on ordering the vaccines now.

My concern is how these vaccine passports will be required for tourists to enter the country. Shops, stores, attractions, public transport are likely to be asking foreigners to show the vaccine passport before entry or providing services. This has the potential to make life difficult for those of us living in Thailand as we are at a disadvantage to receive our vaccinations being low on their priority list. We live in this country the same as Thai people who my or my not be vaccinated, but we all know that Thai people won't be asked for any documents to provide proof of vaccination.

13 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Your assumption of virus risk is based upon the results of the initial version of the virus. It has been mutating and continues to mutate. The 3rd wave the EU and North America is facing is due to the variants which are more infectious and more lethal. The 3rd waves are being modeled for the expected younger people and their infections will be  as intense as older people  in the first wave. The 1st wave models have been shown as reliable so the new models should be as reliable.  The point is  that the new variants will be just as dangerous, and will be hitting younger people more.

The reason we do not see the amount of hospitalization and death with over 75 year old now is that many have already died; Most at risk have been vaccinated and there are better treatment methods.

Thailand  can say whatever it wants, but the only vaccines it will be able to easily access are  from China, Russia and India.  The EU and USA has imposed export controls on their vaccines with their  citizens getting priority. I doubt Thailand will get the better quality vaccines  until close to 2022.  The big hope is with  one does J&J product. Unfortunately, it has  priority contracts with other countries.

If foreigners are intent on being vaccinated, they  should give consideration to going to countries where the desired vaccines are available.

15 hours ago, internationalism said:

so far there is no need for a vax when extending any visa.

might be required later on, when it's widely available, which might be sometimes at the end of year.

I think there would need insurance and some application - similar, to what is required from tourists.

some patients did receive mails from private hospitals, if they are interested in jab. 

A trusted, accredited agent will sort it all out.

Edited by owl sees all

4 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I was offered free flu jab at govt hospital last year.

I had it free twice at Chonburi and then when I went along the 3rd time I was checked in and just about to get the jab when this local government official turned up. As soon as she saw me she came storming over shouting no falang. My wife tried to explain I was registered but she wasn't interested, fairly obvious from the body language she hated foreigners. Five minutes later she might have been trying to suck it out of my arm.

I see the doctor every 3 months so just paid for it the next time I went, 360 baht. The following year my wife said I should go along and try again but I couldn't be bothered and just got it again when I saw the doctor. I use Bang Saen hospital, much better than Chonburi, but I can't get it free there as I don't live in the area.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

That's great.  What are the qualification criteria?  I've always had to pay for my child's flu jab.

As far as I am aware it is only available free to the elderly, over 65?, and diabetics.

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

By the time that we  qualify for a vaccine there will so many mutations of the virus that they will have to engineer a new one. 

Nothing new in that. MMR is a vaccine for 3 different viruses, far less mutations.

Quite amazing how covid has highlighted people's general ignorance in respect of vaccine history. Where would we be if there hadn't been the mass vaccination schemes in the 50's.

23 hours ago, connda said:

Six months from now the vaccine infrastructure will probably be in place.  Not up to first world standards but better then the current dog and pony show. 

Why should it not be up to first world standards?

This is one of the countries that have SET the world standard for dealing with Covid 19.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Nothing new in that. MMR is a vaccine for 3 different viruses, far less mutations.

Quite amazing how covid has highlighted people's general ignorance in respect of vaccine history. Where would we be if there hadn't been the mass vaccination schemes in the 50's.

IMO much healthier.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pilotman said:

And all you will get at Pubic hospitals will be the China stuff,

careful,  the China stuff has been found to contain Pubic hairs.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1