Trained sniffer dogs to be sent to airport to detect asymptomatic COVID-19 cases

webfact

1 hour ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

So everybody arriving at the airport has to let the IO catch their sweat put it in a "canned vessel" write your name on it then let the dog sniff them to find out who has the virus . I see big lines at the Immigration at the airport in the future . People have to take 2 extra days holliday just to go thru immi arriving and departing . On the other hand , the dogs might be more effective in detecting the virus then the PCR test of wich the inventor said it's not for detecting viruses . 

Do we get to choose what body part we can give them for a sweat sample?

Talking of dog sniffing...

A few years ago I was travelling back to England from my business in Portugal, I was stopped by Customs Officials at the airport. I was told that a Sniffer dog had stopped at my bag after a jolly good sniff, I had to empty my bag and inside I had some greetings card in plastic wrappers that were thoroughly investigated. They found nothing.

I sniffed the bag myself as I had a suspicion of something. I was right! I invited the Customs man to sniff it himself. he did and we all had a great laugh.

My bag was made from absorbent fabric - I had bought it in Morocco - it was already a few years old but my dog at home had done a pee on it and its "aroma" lasted for quite a while.

You can't stop a dog from sniffing the back ends of other dogs or their pee!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Wow , my post just magically disappeared without leaving a trace or explanation ... this one will disappear as well , I presume ...

Well you must be Nobodysfriend alright. It Does happen a lot if they Up there have something against you.   ????

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Supposedly it is possible for dogs to catch covid. And if they are constantly sniffing covid infected people it stands to reason they could become infected in doing their job. so, are these dogs regularly tested ? And is it possible to be infected with covid by a covid infected covid sniffer dog ? 

Ha ha....... Under the bed with the dog !  We're all doomed ......... Doomed i tell you !  

• Haha 1

Between the sniffer dogs, and vaccines that are 95% effective, time to completely scrap the quarantine program. Now. Today. Bring tourism back to Thailand, allow the investors who have put well over a trillion dollars into tourism infrastructure to operate again, allow people to go back to work, and end the extreme, pathological fear and paranoia, now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Supposedly it is possible for dogs to catch covid. And if they are constantly sniffing covid infected people it stands to reason they could become infected in doing their job. so, are these dogs regularly tested ? And is it possible to be infected with covid by a covid infected covid sniffer dog ? 

I was wondering about this too. At least now I know why dogs keep sniffing each other! And I suppose they can detect any other virus there is, because they've been sniffing themselves for eons?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, hobobo said:

I was wondering about this too. At least now I know why dogs keep sniffing each other! And I suppose they can detect any other virus there is, because they've been sniffing themselves for eons?

Depending on the breed or type a dog's sense of smell is around 10,000 - 100,000 times better than ours. They possess up to 300 million olfactory receptors in their noses compared to about six million in ours and the part of their brains that analyses and processes scents is (proportionally) 40 times greater than ours.

10 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Depending on the breed or type a dog's sense of smell is around 10,000 - 100,000 times better than ours. They possess up to 300 million olfactory receptors in their noses compared to about six million in ours and the part of their brains that analyses and processes scents is (proportionally) 40 times greater than ours.

A few days ago, I was standing close to a foreigner in BTS. The smell.... unbelievable. Bless, that I don't have a dog's nose ????

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Dogs can catch the virus and get sick.But nobody knows anything about the connection with humans or other dogs or if dogs can pass it.So using dogs in this way is possibly wrong.But its thailand.

There's no such thing as dogs who can sniff Covid as virus don't have any smell.

Dogs can't even find the small coin that I lost let alone sniff a virus.

The only true test is by swabbing the nose and throat and send to a lab.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Thomas Hannah said:

Dogs can catch the virus and get sick.But nobody knows anything about the connection with humans or other dogs or if dogs can pass it.So using dogs in this way is possibly wrong.But its thailand.

It's also the UAE, Lebanon, France, Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy, Finland, Belgium and the Czech Republic.

Try reading the article before posting nonsense - read it and you will see the dogs are sniffing sealed cans with sweat swabs inside, so there is no direct contact, ergo the dogs cannot catch Covid.

Edited by josephbloggs
Typo
  • Like 2

So if there are 10,000 people go through the airport every hour and 1% has COVID, say 100. How many would the dogs catch? All 100 among the crowd, or just a few? The authorities should tell us whether the dogs would make any meaningful difference. And if not, forget it and go back to fast swab tests and temperature checks.

12 minutes ago, Ketyo said:

So if there are 10,000 people go through the airport every hour and 1% has COVID, say 100. How many would the dogs catch? All 100 among the crowd, or just a few? The authorities should tell us whether the dogs would make any meaningful difference. And if not, forget it and go back to fast swab tests and temperature checks.

Or do them all.

There will be escapes from all these methods so a belt plus braces approach will help minimise these.

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

It is possible for a dog to be infected by corona virus and that is why they are vaccinated against canine corona virus. Yes, really. Such a vaccine has been around for some time. The corona virus that infects them seems to cause severe gastro problems, apparently.

I would imagine that if scientists believe that covid-19 or its various variants could jump species from human to dog, they would consider vaccinating dogs, especially those in so-called "front-line" situations. But remember, dogs operate at between foot and knee level and generally stay far enough away from the faces of strangers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Think you are barking up the wrong tree

On 3/17/2021 at 8:39 AM, Jonathan Swift said:

How do you know that this is not being done? But since you seem to be another whining victim of Thai "racism" let me 'splain it to you: The biggest threat from Covid is from foreigners bringing it into the country. It is not from the general Thai population. And we all know the tests are not perfect and may not reveal asymptomatic carriers of the virus. Anything, such as this, which can enhance screening and tighten the barrier against the virus is essential and should absolutely be implemented. I daresay it will make things safer even for YOU. But I wonder, if you have such disdain for the inequities here, and are so inclined to complain, what are you doing here? Are things that much better where you're from? 

How can the biggest threat be from foreigners when no one is allowed in the country. And now comes the usual race card, why is it when someone says something you don’t agree with you pull race out of the hat. Woke comes to mind. It is quite easy to see that there is a Covid problem in Thailand because where testing is done there are a high number of Covid cases. I think it would be in everyone’s interest to find out where Covid is to try and treat it. It’s people like you that are in denial. Covid is in Thailand, it’s not the foreigners, it’s in the general population.

On 3/16/2021 at 5:07 PM, KC 71 said:

Dogs can sniff many illnesses , like cancer etc.

Just be prepared for the fact that you and i, and probably most of us.will have this flue type virus  lying dormant in our bodies.( Dont worry - so far  there is only a 2 percent chance  that it will prove fatal.) .I for one, don't want to be quarantined  and pay an exorbitant  amount of money over something like that.I mean ,come on ,just where does all this end !

This is not a flu-type virus (it's a coronavirus-type virus) and the dogs are trained to detect people with an actual infection, not those who merely have antibodies from a previous infection. If you don't still have an active infection that could spread to other people, the dogs will not react to you.

6 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

A few days ago, I was standing close to a foreigner in BTS. The smell.... unbelievable. Bless, that I don't have a dog's nose ????

That's nothing, i was standing next to a Thai lady on the BTS and she side stepped and dropped a little present on the floor in front of everyone, complete with satisfying grin on her face......   Direct hit !  

12 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

It's also the UAE, Lebanon, France, Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy, Finland, Belgium and the Czech Republic.

Try reading the article before posting nonsense - read it and you will see the dogs are sniffing sealed cans with sweat swabs inside, so there is no direct contact, ergo the dogs cannot catch Covid.

Try reading what i said.What i said is not nonsense,but facts.Nothing to do with how they are training the dogs in article.

14 hours ago, freestyle said:

Do they desinfect his nose, before he comes poking at me?

If they're using the same system as in Finland, the dogs are given a sample taken from a wipe of the passengers' skin, which they then have to pick out of a line up of beakers containing various different scents, in an area separated from the passenger(s).

So whether their noses are disinfected is entirely irrelevant.