Eight killed in Atlanta-area shooting rampage; suspect arrested

webfact

OK.  Show me an article that says the recent rhetoric against China by GOP politicians is NOT having an impact on hate crimes against Asians.

This should be interesting.

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Hate crimes against Asians have risen dramatically over the past year.  Calling the virus WuFlu, etc, made things worse. 

In a Thursday afternoon interview with NPR, Wray said suspected gunman Robert Aaron Long’s motives are still under investigation, but “it does not appear” race was his reason for allegedly shooting multiple people at three massage parlors.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2021/03/18/fbi-director-says-atlanta-shooting-does-not-appear-racially-motivated/?utm_campaign=forbes&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_term=Gordie&sh=2b7578881a0d

Edited by ExpatOK
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Good luck with that. I reckon the number of people that have been badly psychologically damaged by hell and brimstone style religion is well beyond the realistic scope of lawsuits.

That depends. Some "deprogramming" might make a vulnerable person do violent acts. Anyway, the standard for civil suits is "preponderance of the evidence". Maybe his Sunday school would have to opt for bankruptcy.

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Racism is probably the biggest problem in the US today.  The rise of white supremacist groups in the US is stunning.  And now, recognized as one of the biggest threats to the US.  Domestic terrorists.  Sad.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/24/us/domestic-terrorist-groups.html

Far-Right Groups Are Behind Most U.S. Terrorist Attacks, Report Finds

White supremacist groups have carried out a majority of “terrorist plots and attacks” this year, according to a report by a think tank, the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

While I don't disagree it's a huge problem, I also think anti racism is becoming a religion. There's many problems in the US, such as mass incarceration and the opioid crisis is killing over 50,000 a year.

For this shooting it's worthwhile looking at the anti sex worker angle. Sex workers in the US are under attack from both sides of politics and treated poorly by the media, they are extremely marginalized

The NYT seems very caught up in the religion of anti racism. They've been hoaxed quite a few times. This is a great example https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/14/style/white-guilt-privilege.html

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Smithson said:

The world seem obsessed by issues or race. At times I think it creates more racism.

A good article about the shootings and how anti trafficking ideology endangers sex workers.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/18/atlanta-spa-shootings-anti-sex-worker-racism-sexism

Racism is a gold mine. Which is why claims of racism won't stop. Of course it exists, but non stop talk of it only perpetuates and makes it stronger.

I agree about this......creates more racism.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

So there's been a huge increase in crimes against Asians in America, during the last year.  Surely,  Covid has caused a huge amount of hatred towards China and Chinese.  People who carry out attacks on Chinese are not going to know if they're Vietnamese, or Korean, or Japanese. Some of the Thais also look the same as Chinese.

I think we should accept that a vast amount of anti-China sentiment has been shown on various internet forums. Unfortunately, there's anti-China sentiment on Thai Visa.  Do expressions of hatred towards China and Chinese people encourage attacks on Chinese people ? I think they do.

If you're thinking about taking your Thai girlfriend or wife to America right now, it might be an idea to wait for the current hatred towards China and Chinese people to slowly subside, and then take her.

And hopefully, we will see a reduction in the amount of hatred towards China and Chinese people here on Thai Visa.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

So there's been a huge increase in crimes against Asians in America, during the last year.  Surely,  Covid has caused a huge amount of hatred towards China and Chinese.  People who carry out attacks on Chinese are not going to know if they're Vietnamese, or Korean, or Japanese. Some of the Thais also look the same as Chinese.

I think we should accept that a vast amount of anti-China sentiment has been shown on various internet forums. Unfortunately, there's anti-China sentiment on Thai Visa.  Do expressions of hatred towards China and Chinese people encourage attacks on Chinese people ? I think they do.

If you're thinking about taking your Thai girlfriend or wife to America right now, it might be an idea to wait for the current hatred towards China and Chinese people to slowly subside, and then take her.

And hopefully, we will see a reduction in the amount of hatred towards China and Chinese people here on Thai Visa.

Yes, and I unfortunately  hear Dr. Fauci and members of the press referring to the UK strains of the virus, so I think it safe to assume we'll be seeing much of this hatred directed at people with Australian accents. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Smithson said:

While I don't disagree it's a huge problem, I also think anti racism is becoming a religion. There's many problems in the US, such as mass incarceration and the opioid crisis is killing over 50,000 a year.

For this shooting it's worthwhile looking at the anti sex worker angle. Sex workers in the US are under attack from both sides of politics and treated poorly by the media, they are extremely marginalized

The NYT seems very caught up in the religion of anti racism. They've been hoaxed quite a few times. This is a great example https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/14/style/white-guilt-privilege.html

From 2018...and an opinion piece.  Yet you say based on this one article, they're caught up in the religion of anti racism.  Come on.

No doubt there are many problems in the US.  But the heads of a variety of US agencies have declared white supremacists to be the #1 problem facing the US.  In terms of security.  And these groups are hard core racists.

42 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, there's plenty of evidence to show that if you're black or hispanic, you're more likely to be targeted by police. In one huge study, 95 million cases where police stopped vehicles were analyzed. Interestingly enough, during daytime stops, blacks and hispanics were targeted way out of proportion to their numbers in the population. At night the ratio dropped sharply. So racism is relevant to the number of people incarcerated in the USA.

Wow, do you have a link to the study? 

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

From 2018...and an opinion piece.  Yet you say based on this one article, they're caught up in the religion of anti racism.  Come on.

No doubt there are many problems in the US.  But the heads of a variety of US agencies have declared white supremacists to be the #1 problem facing the US.  In terms of security.  And these groups are hard core racists.

Do you have links to the declarations these heads of US agencies have made? 

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

You're tired of talking about racism, huh? All that endless pressure to engage in a little self-reflection and self-awareness?  Must be tough. I really feel sorry for you. Must be almost as hard as being on the receiving end of racism. I'm so, so, so sorry you've been put through this.

Well, all anyone seems to do is talk about it. They certainly do not seem willing to actually do anything about it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It started to spike significantly as a direct result of the former president guy's hateful anti Asian rhetoric.  That was new 

Please provide actual data that supports both spikes and some of the hatful rhetoric. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, there's plenty of evidence to show that if you're black or hispanic, you're more likely to be targeted by police. In one huge study, 95 million cases where police stopped vehicles were analyzed. Interestingly enough, during daytime stops, blacks and hispanics were targeted way out of proportion to their numbers in the population. At night the ratio dropped sharply. So racism is relevant to the number of people incarcerated in the USA.

While I agree with what you're saying, none of it is relevant to the crime being discussed.

You seem to have proved my point that there's an obsession with race issues.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You don’t seem to read a lot or you just being pedantic. You just can’t be a obstructionist like many GOP lawmakers. 

This link was during Trump’s presidency.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2020-10-06/dhs-white-supremacists-the-most-persistent-and-lethal-threat-within-the-us

And this link from Trump’s appointee FBI chief after Trump booted out of office and shocking insurrection on Jan 6.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/wray-senate-hearing-capitol-riot-white-supremacists-b1810615.html

Di you read the articles? Neither of them said  said that white supremacy is the  "...#1 problem facing the US.  In terms of security. " The hate Trump, I get that.

Anything else? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Wow, do you have a link to the study? 

There are dozens of reports about this.  Google is your friend.  Stunning your not aware of this.

Research "the talk" also.  It's what black parents have to have with their kids after they reach the age where they are going out alone a lot.  Sucks.

18 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

There are dozens of reports about this.  Google is your friend.  Stunning your not aware of this.

Research "the talk" also.  It's what black parents have to have with their kids after they reach the age where they are going out alone a lot.  Sucks.

I had the talk with my son as all parents should. Mine went like never consent freely to any search, in your car or at home. Never, never, never. But for many it should include respecting the police and do what they tell you when they tell you. Don't resist. 

22 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I had the talk with my son as all parents should. Mine went like never consent freely to any search, in your car or at home. Never, never, never. But for many it should include respecting the police and do what they tell you when they tell you. Don't resist. 

The reality is, for many parents, that discussion has to include the warming that any interaction with the police is a moment during which your life is at risk.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Nowhere in that article does it argue anti trafficking legislation endangers sex workers. (or mention the existence of an ideology based around it of any sort). 

It's not the legislation they are talking about, but attitudes to sex work and how over policing puts sex workers at risk.

Ideology was their headline, not mine.

"Nor does it argue the notion that discussing racism leads to more racism"

Correct that's my opinion. The article talks a lot about racism, but also other factors. While racism is a huge problem, it's not the only one. In this case attitudes to sex work are relevant, but people in this thread don't seem to acknowledge that.