Foreign tourists will start to return in fourth quarter boosting Thai economy, says Finance Minister

webfact

2 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Consider this: Foreign tourist will vacation at home to boost their own economy.

Everyone I know is already desperate for a foreign vacation. By this summer they will only be more eager to escape.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJBenz said:

I'll be fully vaccinated by 7th June, as will my wife and adult son.

Congratulations.

1 minute ago, DJBenz said:

I'll be changing them to 2022 or cancelling altogether if there's any form of quarantine in Thailand

I am certain Thailand will change the quarantine the policy, for vaccinated visitors from those specific countries, during the summer, mainly because most potential bookers for the third and fourth quarters will need that re-assurance reasonably far in advance. I'm not sure exactly when in the summer, but your July date should be fine. I suspect they will be in a position to do it as early as May, but June might be more likely as it allows them to say "from the second half of the year".

Make sure to get any necessary embassy stuff done in good time, I have a hunch they will be somewhat overwhelmed once the change is announced and everything may take longer than usual.

I suspect you and your family are going to enjoy an unusually fresh and energetic vibe in Thailand as it opens up once again.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, donnacha said:

I am certain Thailand will change the quarantine the policy, for vaccinated visitors from those specific countries, during the summer, mainly because most potential bookers for the third and fourth quarters will need that re-assurance reasonably far in advance. I'm not sure exactly when in the summer, but your July date should be fine. I suspect they will be in a position to do it as early as May, but June might be more likely as it allows them to say "from the second half of the year".

I wish I could share your enthusiasm, at the moment I'm very much approaching it with an "it will be what it will be" mindset. I'm certainly not getting my hopes up from Thai news on re-opening.  :)

Make sure to get any necessary embassy stuff done in good time, I have a hunch they will be somewhat overwhelmed once the change is announced and everything may take longer than usual.

That's a good point, I'll make sure to do that if/when I know the trip will go ahead. Thank you!

I suspect you and your family are going to enjoy an unusually fresh and energetic vibe in Thailand as it opens up once again.

I would love to see Thailand relatively tourist free, so I certainly hope so. My main concern is that, although the adults in the family will be fully inoculated, I have two under-18 kids who can't be and there may still be restrictions in place for non-vaccinated visitors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

So why is the Vaccination which is a key driver not happening

Thailand is way behind the curve on this, and IMHO, it will be nearer to February 2022 before 50% of the Thai population are vaccinated. This will make Thailand a " No Go Zone " for not just Tourists, but for Foreign Governments to allow Citizens to travel to the Kingdom

This, I doubt. If the tourist is vaccinated then there's no reason to apply any restrictions on them either by their own home governments of the Thai government.

Vaccination is all we have and there is no next step beyond that so it must be relied on as there's no other alternative apart from nature taking its course, the vaccine is an attempt to alter this course and I'm pretty sure it will shorten the pandemic by at least a year or two.

The only danger a foreign tourist would face in an unvaccinated country is a local outbreak and subsequent 'lockdown' during their holiday which would be an inconvenience. The outbreak shouldn't worry them but the inevitable lockdowns / restrictions on movement are what will annoy them.

As we've seen - COVID likes the colder weather so it comes in winter which is the high season here in Thailand.

If they've not vaccinated the population by December then I see no reason why there won't be another outbreak at the end of the year and I'm basing that entirely on the weather patterns.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, donnacha said:

Congratulations.

I would love to be back in Thailand next January,but my biggest concern is the flying.I might wait till December 22,I want to see how many of the planes that have been parked up all over the world for what will be up to 18 months deal with being back in service.Really it's about how many fall out of the sky.I bet I'm not alone in thinking about what state the planes and the Pilots are in after such a long down time.

• Like 2

No mention of when International airlines will be allowed back to Thailand and any upturn in arrivals will be fully dependant on them ? Also no explanation why he thinks all these tourists will want to come here later in the year.

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

So why is the Vaccination which is a key driver not happening

Thailand is way behind the curve on this, and IMHO, it will be nearer to February 2022 before 50% of the Thai population are vaccinated. This will make Thailand a " No Go Zone " for not just Tourists, but for Foreign Governments to allow Citizens to travel to the Kingdom

Some body said "nobody's safe untill we are all safe" that means not only do the population of Thailand have to be vaccinated,also the population of every country that visit Thailand have to be vaccinated.2022 might be optimistic.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He anticipated that the economy would be further enhanced by the anticipated return of foreign tourists from October 1st.

Anticipated return... the famous -loop-hole...

Of course Thailands resorts have a renowned reputation for "opening up" to foreigners, but best wait and see if the world wants to come.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

O Clueless One, though honeyed words drip from your snout, they provide scant nourishment for body or spirit as they are hollow. 

Consider this: Foreign tourist will vacation at home to boost their own economy.

Or they've been hit in the pocket so hard they are going to save funds to put back in the bank and forego a holiday this year.
Thailand thinks once the west has been inoculated everyone is going abroad on holiday?

• Like 1

The amount so far that Thailand has been vaccinated has been nothing short of laughable.  What, 36 thousand?  It's ridiculous.  

No, nobody is going there.  You have to be dropped on your head to go to a place to sit in a hotel for 2 weeks, 7 days, whatever it is.  I can't keep up with the constant changing, minutia, nonsense.  

• Like 2