AstraZeneca Approves Thailand’s Vaccine Factory

webfact

Another post discussing moderation has been removed per forum rules.

If you wish to discuss further please email support{at}thaivisa.com.

As noted in the origninal post removal notice PLEASE refrain from further posts discussing the ownership of the company. If you are not aware of the ownership Google is your friend.

My patience is wearing thin, holidays may be on the cards.

4 hours ago, d2b2 said:

Curiously the Thai FDA does not seem interested in approving any vaccines other than Astra Zenica and Sinovac.

There are no reports about the other, proven effective vaccines (J&J, Moderna,  Phizer, etc) being processed for approval in the Kingdom. Something seems amiss.

I not aware that any of the other companies have even applied to the Thai FDA for approval.

Unless they're planning to sell their vaccines here then they may not be planning to apply for approval here.

4 minutes ago, George Aylesham said:

I took the Smallpox vax a few years back and it seems to have worked - in addition to MMR vaccine - this worked as well.

Yep, I had the polio sugar cube at Junior school and BCG against TB at Grammar School and I haven't had either, either.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The Who is expected to approve the use of the J&J vaccine any day now, I am guessing Thailand is waiting for that before they then go ahead and approve?

Seems that's already occurred:

The W.H.O. grants emergency authorization to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, a boost for global vaccination efforts

March 12, 2021

"The World Health Organization granted emergency authorization on Friday to Johnson & Johnson’s Covid-19 vaccine, adding the first one-dose option to the W.H.O.’s global arsenal against the pandemic.

The designation makes the vaccine eligible for distribution through Covax, a global initiative to ensure that low- and middle-income countries have access to vaccines. Many of those countries have barely begun their vaccination campaigns.

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine has advantages for countries in that program. Besides providing powerful protection against severe Covid-19 and death with a single shot, the vaccine can be stored for three months at refrigerator temperatures."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/12/world/who-jj-vaccine.html

Also:

https://www.who.int/news/item/12-03-2021-who-adds-janssen-vaccine-to-list-of-safe-and-effective-emergency-tools-against-covid-19

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

With the low rate of infection in the country and the supplies of AZ and Sinovac coming on stream, I don't see that Thailand needs to go chasing around for any more versions.

As someone else posted ,will we need a regular jab of vaccine ,like the yearly flu jab , or will one shot last xx months,as of yet does anyone know ?.

If you will /do need a regular jab ,Thailand needs to produce its own version .

53 minutes ago, kickstart said:
8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

With the low rate of infection in the country and the supplies of AZ and Sinovac coming on stream, I don't see that Thailand needs to go chasing around for any more versions.

54 minutes ago, kickstart said:

As someone else posted ,will we need a regular jab of vaccine ,like the yearly flu jab , or will one shot last xx months,as of yet does anyone know ?.

Yes, that's possible. We don't know yet do we? But if you go back and read the full post, I said:

''The Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn University is working on its own a 'home grown' vaccine which, if all goes well, will be available by the end of the year''.

So we'll have this one and the AZ vaccine being produced locally. How many do you want?

15 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

They changed their production schedule 3 times in the last 90 days. That schedule also took a lot of effort to unearth! The thai press found some of it, published less. It then seems change every time something is reported hmmm. The local english press has reported very little of this ongoing kerfuffle. 

I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say this is just an update ofthat last production schedule. You wonder when the powers that be will give the go ahead for private hospitals to sell other vaccines.  I would like to think June .... BUT.   

This Government has been flip flopping from day one over vaccinating the population, and for some reason is very hesitant to start a mass vaccination program like other Countries... 

• Like 1

3 shifts, 24/7.

I just bought my one way ticket to Thailand yesterday for early October.

$300 cancellation penalty.

I know, it's a stupid unnecessary risk depending on the Thai government to fully open up.

But sometimes you need to do SOMETHING to make yourself not feel so hopeless!

GO GO GO THAILAND. ????????

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

AstraZeneca has approved safety standards at Thailand’s vaccine factory and will send the first batch of raw materials for vaccine production in June.

Jeez.. I can hardly wait.

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

It's possible that by the time they actually start and then ramp-up production everyone will have either been vaccinated via other routes or had covid.

But think of the sales they will make to other Asian countries, and call themselves the "hub" of vaccine manufacturing... IP borrowed of course.

3 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

3 shifts, 24/7.

I just bought my one way ticket to Thailand yesterday for early October.

$300 cancellation penalty.

I know, it's a stupid unnecessary risk depending on the Thai government to fully open up.

But sometimes you need to do SOMETHING to make yourself not feel so hopeless!

GO GO GO THAILAND. ????????

A one way ticket to Thailand you must be feeling hopeless.

So many other choices.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, kickstart said:

No, nobody (absolutely nobody) knows whether periodic booster shots will be required, either because the immunity conferred by the vaccines wanes, or to combat variants which may elude the current vaccines.

As of this moment, there are at least a couple of clinical trials going on, looking precisely into the question of whether a booster shot will help to either give a higher level of Immunity and/or help to combat the newer variants.

It's worth noting however that up till now (nearly a year after the first vaccine doses were given) the levels of Immunity in vaccinated people remains good and all the current vaccines are still effective in preventing serious illness or death even with the new variants.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

16 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A one way ticket to Thailand you must be feeling hopeless.

So many other choices.

I'm an independent consultant.  I have a lot of work when the economy is good and my work dries up when the economy is bad.

Right now, due to Covid the economy is really, really bad.  I've never seen it this bad.

So, when I'm not working, I try to live humbly and cheaply.

Thailand is one of the least expensive countries in the world.  My Mother in Law can feed 4 adults 3 meals a day for less than 500B for a week.

Where else is a "better choice" to go to minimize outflow from my savings? ????

I don't think you know what you're talking about. ????

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 9:11 PM, kickstart said:

will we need a regular jab of vaccine ,like the yearly flu jab , or will one shot last xx months,as of yet does anyone know ?

I read something somewhere about some guy who recovered from covid and was donating antibodies from his blood.  He said that the level of antibodies fell slowly over time.

No idea what this means about the actual vaccine, also probably depends on the vaccine, but it seems like a regular booster is definitely a possibility.  Perhaps the non-virus vaccines (DNA ones?) might last longer.  This, I assume, means that the Chinses vax may be the shortest lasting.

On 3/19/2021 at 2:37 AM, Soikhaonoiken said:

This Government has been flip flopping from day one over vaccinating the population, and for some reason is very hesitant to start a mass vaccination program like other Countries... 

Waiting for the new factory to manufacture vaccine so the proper people can profit. To hell with the citizens. As usual, all about money.

Edited by bangsaenguy
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 4:10 PM, Bkk Brian said:

From the same link where you forgot to add the rest of the sentence...............

"The 12,396-person trial found the CoronaVac vaccine was 100% effective in preventing COVID-19 sufferers from being hospitalized or dying and 83.7% effective in avoiding cases that required any medical treatment, but only 50.65% effective at keeping people from getting infected, according to a statement."

Thats only just over the 50% threshold needed to get approval from WHO, however before that even happens they need to submit full data which currently they still have not done so. Until that happens no western country will even consider this vaccine as a candidate

The JJ vaccine was accepted on its ability to prevent moderate/severe symptoms. 

The most important criterion is saving lives.