Moving To Pattaya or Hua Hin

Neeranam

I'm looking to buy  anew house either in Pattaya or Hua Hin. 

The reasons, I want to be near my daughter at university in Bangkok and want a good international school for another daughter. 

I also want to meet other expats to play golf, join a sports club and be near good restaurants. 

My concern about Pattaya are  -  

Is there are decent beach? Previous visits, the main beach was not very attractive.

How do normal Thais treat you? Do they automatically think you are a sexpat, and treat you thus?

Is it possible to integrate into a local community? I have lived in Thailand for nearly 30 years and have assimilated into my local Isan community. 

Looking for some insights into where to buy, Pattaya or Hua Hin -  cost, pollution, etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How do normal Thais treat you? Do they automatically think you are a sexpat, and treat you thus?

?

As opposed to abnormal Thais? And what treatment of your sexpat comment are you referring to?  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

?

As opposed to abnormal Thais? And what treatment of your sexpat comment are you referring to?  

I mean those not in the 'tourism' industry.

Derision, double charging, etc.

I've lived here a long time and know that in general Thais don't like foreigners. This is even more obvious to me when talking to those who have lived in Pattaya. Also, the guys I know who have 'Pattaya' gf's come to visit and the girl very often doesn't wai me. This is very disrespectful. Also, they seem very surprised that I can speak Thai, and some don't like it.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Need to check out the situation re: the immigrant population. Might find a lot of Nigerians frequent these locations.

What, Pattaya and Hua Hin? Thought it was a Bangkok thing.

7 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Interesting post. I didn't see any good beaches in Pattaya and the surrounding area. Some look nice but not good for swimming. Thought Rayong might be an option but that seems to be heavily industrialised. Seemed like you had to go as far as the Chantaburi area to find a half decent beach. The town is nice too but a half hour from the beach and getting a long way away from things.

Possibly Jomtiem is a good solution.. beach not flash but a bit quiet and nice surrounds and not far from bigger city stuff. 

My favourite beach is Koh Mak, so I would like to be near there. That's one advantage of Pattaya over HH, closer to the nice beaches. Mind you, I guess HH is nearer Samui, PaNgan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Hmm, I found the opposite. 

I rarely think of stepping on the the central Pattaya beach. I don't know why you keep banging on about the beach. What is the likelihood of you moving to central Pattaya? I would state very low if what you write about your reasons are true.

Why take the chance of seeing prostitution on the beach road or walking past a bar in the centre?

Stay in a part where none of that takes place and be happy. It doesn't bother me because I don't live amongst it.

I live near a beach because I love the sea air. Health promoting. There are no houses available to you on the beach road and there is no requirement for you to visit the beach at central Pattaya since there are many others you can visit.

Everyone can find their favourite nook and cranny. Best to not share it.

Previous time I was in Hua Hin, a policeman tried to scam me for 1,000 baht. I made him regret it.

If you want to know about HuaHin, try posting on the HuaHin forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Do they automatically think you are a sexpat, and treat you thus?

Not always.  If you are more than 5000 km from Thailand for years, they might think for one second you are not.  Or simply dead.   I am sure 99% of all expats know the reputation and fit the mold. 

• Thanks 1

If you want to be closer to your Bangkok daughter then Pattaya is more practical, Huahin is a difficult journey to make regularly taking twice the time travel to Bangkok, I also believe there are more International schools in Pattaya.

For best beaches Jomtien beach is good about 3KM from start of the beach closer to Nah Jomtien end. I have a condo in this location which i use when not in Bangkok and its quiet and the beach is kept very clean by vendors further up there is a lot more commercial activities bringing the usual foot traffic and rubbish.

You can easily enjoy Pratumnak and Jomtien as an expat but if you want to integrate into a Thai community then Sattahip or Bang Saray may be better for you as most people in Pattaya are expats or servicing the expat community not really a large Thai community. There are expat clubs and specific bars in Pattaya that are frequented by golf enthusiasts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pattaya and the whole chonburi is closer to bkk and has a proper motorway.

Pollution is same, but closer to the sea the cleaner, because of breeze.

Good beaches start from bang saen.

I would look first at available schools, probably some 10 of them, you need to get her there and from every day. 

When she ends school in some 5 years you can easily sell the property with a large profit and move further away from bangkok, where is cheaper, cleaner

• Like 1
  • Haha 1