Acer Laptop "Swift 1": No Bootable Device

JetsetBkk

1 hour ago, JetsetBkk said:

I tried to do that using the "Repair" option of the installer. but couldn't find out how. That would be great if it could see the original SSD.

as far as I remember there is an option to run a command line from the Repair menu. try to write "explorer" there, or "cd c:\windows\system32", and then "explorer"

30 minutes ago, fdsa said:

as far as I remember there is an option to run a command line from the Repair menu. try to write "explorer" there, or "cd c:\windows\system32", and then "explorer"

I think you are thinking of when Windows is already installed but doesn't boot. Then you can use the installer thumb drive to run CMD and access the Explorer already installed. That is not the case here - there is no Explorer on the installation thumb drive.

Problem Found

I took the M.2 SSD to "Banana IT" shop and they plugged it into an M.2 slot on a computer and it could not be accessed. It is "dead".

I should've gone there on day one and saved a lot of effort! ????

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully somebody will have a similar problem that will be fixed by some of the ideas here.

2 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Actually the Gigabyte MoBo has the mSATA connector. I guess it is old.

The ESD-USB USB is formatted as FAT32 with MBR partition - same as the USB that I made. I don't know why it is not recognised by the Acer Swift laptop.

Just in case some else needs to work with an ACER Swift. It needs to be FAT32 with a GPT partition. You also need to make sure that you are using the correct USB port.

You can recreate the USB installation drive utilising RUFUS: https://rufus.ie

Pop USB flash drive into another PC. Download and run Rufus on the same PC.

Choose for updates to be allowed; that is important. 

Then click on SELECT and a dropdown list will appear. Choose Download and then the Windows 10 edition. 

Choose Partition Scheme GPT and UEFI. Then click START and allow Rufus to do it's thing.

Whilst you are waiting; Boot into the Swift 1's BIOS setup and set an Administrator password for the BIOS setup. Only when you do this will Secure Boot become available to disable.

Whilst in there, make sure that the F12 Boot Menu is enabled.

Turn off Secure Boot and use the new USB Flash drive: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-perform-a-repair-upgrade-using-the-windows/35160fbe-9352-4e70-9887-f40096ec3085

I think that I have covered everythng.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:
3 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Actually the Gigabyte MoBo has the mSATA connector. I guess it is old.

The ESD-USB USB is formatted as FAT32 with MBR partition - same as the USB that I made. I don't know why it is not recognised by the Acer Swift laptop.

Just in case some else needs to work with an ACER Swift. It needs to be FAT32 with a GPT partition. You also need to make sure that you are using the correct USB port.

Did you not see my post - last one on previous page - which shows the ESD-USB flash drive as formatted FAT32 with MBR partition. That USB works in all the Acer Swift's three USB ports.

21 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Did you not see my post - last one on previous page - which shows the ESD-USB flash drive as formatted FAT32 with MBR partition. That USB works in all the Acer Swift's three USB ports.

Makes no difference. If you are utilising UEFI, you use GPT. Otherwise you are using Legacy MBR.

12 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Makes no difference. If you are utilising UEFI, you use GPT. Otherwise you are using Legacy MBR.

I don't understand what you mean by "if you are utilising UEFI".

The laptop boots from a FAT32/MBR flash drive.

Edited by JetsetBkk

2 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

I don't understand what you mean by "utilising UEFI".

Swift 1 utilises UEFI. That's why it has Secure Boot etc

Older BIOS utilised MBR. UEFI utilises GPT. Swift 1 utilises UEFI, so you need to use GPT. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Swift 1 utilises UEFI. That's why it has Secure Boot etc

Older BIOS utilised MBR. UEFI utilises GPT. Swift 1 utilises UEFI, so you need to use GPT. 

Thanks for that information. As the Windows installer thumb drive has a MBR partition I assumed that the Swift 1 was not UEFI...

"Usually, MBR and BIOS (MBR + BIOS), and GPT and UEFI (GPT + UEFI) go hand in hand"  - http://bit.ly/3f1lMBu

But the problem of the laptop not finding a boot drive has been found - the SSD is dead. The story is that the user let the battery drain completely and, after charging it up, there was no boot drive found. 

6 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

The story is that the user let the battery drain completely and, after charging it up, there was no boot drive found. 

omgwtf. I'd still suggest checking the SSD in another computer or with m.2-to-USB converter because discharging the battery is very unlikely to kill the SSD.

2 minutes ago, fdsa said:

omgwtf. I'd still suggest checking the SSD in another computer or with m.2-to-USB converter because discharging the battery is very unlikely to kill the SSD.

See my post here: 

The local Banana computer shop did just that. He actually used a box that looked like a 2.5" SATA to USB converter. He opened it up, removed his own M.2 and put in mine. But when connected to the PC, it was not recognised.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fdsa said:

Yeah, the drive was checked by Banana IT and found dead.

It is indeed worrying IF allowing the battery to run flat kills the SSD. I'm sure if it was a common issue it would be all over the net.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, the drive was checked by Banana IT and found dead.

It is indeed worrying IF allowing the battery to run flat kills the SSD. I'm sure if it was a common issue it would be all over the net.

I think it was probably just a charging glitch or spike. Shouldn't happen, I know. I did use that same charger today when the BIOS (UEFI!) reported "Critical Battery Level" and wouldn't start.

4 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

See my post here: 

The local Banana computer shop did just that. He actually used a box that looked like a 2.5" SATA to USB converter. He opened it up, removed his own M.2 and put in mine. But when connected to the PC, it was not recognised.

I saw that post. I wouldn't trust a single check because I've seen too much "sorry can not" meaning "I'm too lazy to look deeper into your issue" with various staff members so I suggest to check the SSD in another computer or in another computer shop.

Just now, fdsa said:

I saw that post. I wouldn't trust a single check because I've seen too much "sorry can not" meaning "I'm too lazy to look deeper into your issue" with various staff members so I suggest to check the SSD in another computer or in another computer shop.

I know what you mean. That was why I was looking over his shoulder at the screen. I was thinking of getting a M.2 to USB converter but it would probably cost as much as a new SSD! Maybe I'll get one anyway - another bit of kit for my toolbag.

58 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

I know what you mean. That was why I was looking over his shoulder at the screen. I was thinking of getting a M.2 to USB converter but it would probably cost as much as a new SSD! Maybe I'll get one anyway - another bit of kit for my toolbag.

yes, they cost almost the same as a new SSD — good quality converters are close to 1k THB, and you will have to buy 2 or 3 of them for various m.2 flavors (SATA, NVMe, "B key", "M key", ...)

To finish off this saga, I'll just add that I found an old M.2 SATA SSD that I had never used, put it in, booted from the ESD-USB flash drive and successfully installed Windows. So, job done!

• Like 1