The week that was in Thailand news: How sniffer dogs, sex toy scams and a hotel maid saved my week!

rooster59

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

looked at the gorgeous faces of my adorable young children and thought. 
 Rooster, you never had it so good!

'You've never had it so good' made popular by Harold Macmillan, (British Prime Minister from 1957- 1963), who obtained the phrase from a US political slogan

Although for some reason I can't imagine Mr McMillan's kids watching his wife dig out a verruca.

typing some absurdly tortuous pun for the edification of the forum or secretly mocking Thailand’s leaders with language right out of Viz’s “Top Tips” page.

The Top Tip I can always remember:
Don't waste thousands of pounds buying a customised car number plate. Simply spend fifty pounds and change your name by deed poll.
Yours,
Mr NJF355P

Top hoot of the week was the Thai teacher who got a surprise through the post in the form of an unordered sex toy

'an unordered sex toy'    Does that mean it wasn't assembled - did it come from IKEA with instructions?

Edited by bluesofa
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Why do you write this stuff, are paid paid or just bored? You forgot to tell us how long you have lived here this week.

Is this sarcasm or irony?

"And the years - I’ve nearly been here four decades with only the odd sojourn abroad."

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

"

an unordered sex toy'    Does that mean it wasn't assembled - did it come from IKEA with instructions?" 

It might well mean it has a warped mind of its own....... 

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

In other international news Tanzania’s president John Magufuli - a Covid skeptic - died of an unspecified virus. 

Maybe if you got your news from some besides Reuters, CNN, BBC, etc... 

https://www.theepochtimes.com/tanzanias-president-admits-country-has-covid-19-problem_3705091.html

Yes, very late in getting to the game, but at least he finally got there. RIP Pres. Magufuli

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

Thanks Rooster for giving me some good chuckles in your weekly news update. I am also glad that Big Joke has returned 

from the place he was sent.  I do remember Sang Som, as I consumed quite a lot of it in Phuket years ago when there was

a 3 day rain event.  Now I just sip on Crown Royal on occasion.  There seemed to be more murders happening, I guess

the pandemic is affecting us all in different ways, and does not help all the other reasons that people are killing each other.

I hope that the rain storms will wash away some of the smoke issues , even for a few days.

Cheers

Geezer

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rocking Robert said:

You’re kidding me he gets paid for this

Ha Ha cant help remembering my old grandmother when I hear this, who was an opera singer in her day, on seeing 'Top of the Pops' on telly for the first time said, " Oh, I say dear, do they get paid for this?"

3 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Nope.  You will have the same number of Baht as before.  The exchange rate doesn't affect your bank balance. ????

Maybe getting poorer if you are thinking in real currency, in this case £UK. 

"After they were, understandably, abandoned by foreign tourists since the pandemic hit" ...  

Well, I do not think that we abandoned them, … It was just that HUGE and Ginormous Beurocratic Hurdles, put in our way just stopped us coming !!! …  (Even though I will be heading for Ayutthaya and not Phuket, if and when I get back through it all) ...    .... Have you ever tried getting health insurance when you are over 65 and Have ANY sort of other Health issues !!!!!! .... ???

… Well, I think that the world WILL be much changed when this Epidemic is over ? But I do think that quite likely for the better !!! ... (If we can get the Dictators who are Politically taking advantage of it out of power any way ???) ...  Like it probably never will be "Over" let’s just say " It is “But maybe also for the better !!!    (Thailand not so dependent on Tourism ? and well Australia not so dependent on Real-estate Prices !!! After the rest of the world Opens back up again ??? – Well let’s hope so.)

…. Still, you can get Lucky on some days you know.  … Like when I accidentally found the only Clinic in town that was taking bookings for the Astra Zeneca Jab !!! ... 

.... And it is good to hear about Big Joke being back. ... I hope that he also gets a few of those <Deleted> phone scammers back in goal also !!! … Wy Old Mother here in Australia, was getting 4 or 5 calls a day for a while .... And they seem to come in from overseas e.g. Thailand ! as well as more likely other places, a lot in our Thai and North of Australia Region.  … and then they seem to be redirected in Sydney, to a fake Australian Number like an 02 number .... But now it is down to 2 !  … Which IS Nice  !!!   As Telstra the Local top Teleco, is now Finally ! ... working on stopping them doing this I think !!! ....

... And well if Big Joke can get a few of two at their source ??? … Like he COULD be a force against these “Our Old People” cheating <Deleted>’s, ... regionally  maybe ???  ... I would hope. ???... Like he seemed to be before ???

This would be good in my opinion, .. Like I like Big Joke as to try to stop the Cheating and robbing of the Vulnerable and the Old is a very good thing that he was doing before I think ! … So I AM glad to see him back.

Thanks for your Great Column again this Sunday Rooster.

… Greatest Thanks.

Mark mark

On 3/21/2021 at 9:57 AM, rooster59 said:

And the years - I’ve nearly been here four decades with only the odd sojourn abroad. 

Well, good for you. I guess that beats actually being here that long. 

Well played Sir. 

I'm only semi-concious some of the time but I bet it's not as good as your gig. 

Good on you Rooster, another very good Column, !!! 

… And yes, you do seem to have stirred up a few of the <less Imaginative> ? People quite a bit this time ! ???  … Like I think that I see a LOT More negativity in the Blogs, under your Good Writing this time, than I normally do  ? …  I wonder why ???

Maybe it is Epidemic Fatigue, ? ...  Like the mental Health of the whole world’s Population will have been tested pretty well just about fully !!!  After this one !  ... and particularly in the Cooler Developed countries I think, as they mostly are not used to a total disaster, just this bad I think ?    Whereas in some third world countries, like Africa ? They have these sort of things happening all of the time possibly, ? ... Hence, they just take it as "More of the same" I guess. … … And well I think that the unhappy bloggers above here, probably would be from the former group. < As well as Non Native Anglo, English speakers Maybe ? > … And please delete this if you disagree … Mate !!!  (And not just the whole thing)

... Your Column is always good, and informative also, and provokes a lot of Good thought also I think. … So thanks very much Mate. Please keep it up.

… Yes, you start this one off with  "I find that a light-hearted attitude, not dwelling on the negative usually gets me through the day, …. "  Is a Great Start !!! ... … Your opening Lines, and Great Thanks !!! ...

About where My Councilor started off my Total Great Rebuild just after my Collapse, at the start of the Lock down, and closed Borders !!! Right !!! …..  And Really good stuff Mate and basically, ... the basics.... And Thanks Greatly. ...

Yes he eventually (The Drugs and Alcohol Councilor) worked me out, and caught on (A Very intelligent, my Borrowed but Very good  local Prisoner Reform group, !!!  … as he was the only one around at the time !!! ...  and well I quickly found him to be the best for me any way, also ! ...   No university certificate and says he does not watch the news or not ??? …

… And then he just started shouting out …. Well talking strongly about my, getting out my "Negative Soap Box" ... AGAIN !!! Oh God ! You let than one suck you in, and derail you again !!!)  ....  Which well was about the best answer any one has had that I can remember ?...   For the miss management ! of half of a Life time !!! I think. ….

And You mate !!! Are also Quite aware of the dangers of this Mistake in Life also I am sure. !!! As I read it quietly implied in your column every week !!! .... The Negative Soap box !!!  Like !!!  Being just really Really REALLY Good ! ... at describing just how bad things Really are !!! Right ???? Like how useless and totally self-destructive is that !!! (And probably using a lot of Exclamation marks as well) ... 

So thanks for the Humor and positivity Mate ! And Always !!!

… Please keep this column up for as Long as you can. (Yes I remember Bernard Trink... he kept it up ? … Well Sort of I guess ? …  But well he came from a Different Place in Life right ? ... And Humor also didn't he !!! ... Like, I like your stuff better. … Anglo Humor admittedly  ! ??? …  But Very Relevant. ... And thanks for that mate.

Thanks

Mark mark ... From somewhere up the Asia Highway .... …

... Just up the Road a bit from you. Right ?  … ( When I can get vaccinated and then back to my home there.… )

“Finally, my blues - and I’m sure those of many on the forum - were lifted by the actions of a brilliant former hotel maid in Buriram who stepped up to the plate when others were wavering to give CPR to a six year old boy and save his life after he looked dead from drowning. 

Well done to 53 year old Sommart Nimmit who had learned the rudiments of rescue in Norway on a course. The video was heartwarming.

You saved my week not to mention that little guy’s life.

You’re a legend.”

Thank you Rooster for keeping us in the loop.  You are always able to come across with a refreshing twist on the events ‘at home and abroad’.  Too bad the news does not cooperate with something a bit on the lighter side.  Too much of the other stuff for me.  Thanks for finding and focusing on the bright spot in the world when it appears.  And thanks for doing all this in spite of the all too many “slings and arrows”.