It is not possible to use tickets to KL or Singapore as evidence for outbound flights.

I have been trying to find out how I can provide an outbound flight to show upon flying to Thailand. People have been talking about buying tickets to places like KL. These tickets are very cheap, however this is impossible. Malaysia has made it clear that they will not welcome any foreign tourists until at least 2022, so when you present the ticket it is obvious that it's impossible for you to use it. So what options do we have? I hope somebody is going to come along here and prove me wrong and speak from experience to say that a ticket to Kuala Lumpur or Singapore is sufficient as evidence of outbound flight on check-in.

5 hours ago, AUinAsia said:

I have been trying to find out how I can provide an outbound flight to show upon flying to Thailand.

Can you share any details?

Do you plan to stay in Thailand forever?

Do you ever plan to return to your point of origin?

I think you need proof of onward travel to get the CoE. Once issued, then yes, this will be required at each step of the travel process. starting with your first check-in.

I'd probe around a bit for details on the Thai Embassy/Consul that you plan to use. See what others are doing. This detail can usually be found in local FB groups in your country.

The best solution is a standard round-trip or return ticket, which you then might re-schedule the return portion.

Throw-aways (paid in full, or a "rental" through third-parties) may work for the CoE, but then some enterprising check-in agent starts to examine things closer and then you're dealing with an issue a few hours before departure. 

Seen some reports of throwaways working but who knows how reliable those reports are. I'm not certain how deep anyone will drill on the 'viability' of an onward ticket, and my first defense might be: the airline issued it, and I expect to be able to meet all of the requirements for that future travel and I plan to utilize that ticket and leave Thailand. If that fails I might buy the least expensive, real ticket one way ex-BKK I could find, preferrably from an airline/site which offers free 24 hour cancellation/refund.

• Like 2

OP, your post dosnt make sense, under what circumstances are you entering thailand without a plan/ticket to leave again ?

Under normal circumstances onward travel isn't a regular check.

As others have said, onward travel is probably required to get a CoE at the moment.

An onward ticket is an onward ticket, whether you qualify to enter the next country is unknown and irrelevant to Thai immigration, 

52 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Can you share any details?

Do you plan to stay in Thailand forever?

Do you ever plan to return to your point of origin?

Good questions. The OP has 2 threads basically same issue. Think he is flying X Saigon to Bangkok. Not wishing to return to Vietnam. Not prepared to give hint of future plans. 

Pre covid one could just buy a throw away (under 1000baht) or rent a ticket.

For anyone that intends to visit home country or returning to home country would just buy a ticket X Bangkok to home country. A ticket with free date change. 

I'm sure the OP would be aware that flying out of Saigon at check-in he would need a visa or if flying visa exempt to Thailand would need onward flight to obtain boarding pass.

Edited by DrJack54

20 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Under normal circumstances onward travel isn't a regular check.

It is if entering without a visa and will be getting a visa exempt entry. It is a written requirement to have a ticket out of the country within 30 days for a visa exempt entry.

Immigration seldom enforces it but the airlines do ask for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP has 2 threads basically same issue.

My bad, did not notice that these were written by the same person. I just assumed this post was for someone in Australia.

Even when obtaining a visa, there may still be a requirement for proof of onward travel, in order to obtain the CoE...

133016874_10159184073228854_5350486981926809469_o.jpg

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

My bad, did not notice that these were written by the same person. I just assumed this post was for someone in Australia.

Even when obtaining a visa, there may still be a requirement for proof of onward travel, in order to obtain the CoE...

133016874_10159184073228854_5350486981926809469_o.jpg

This is what I'm talking about. I intend to extend/change my initial visa stamp, but still need an outbound flight for the first 30 days officially. I'm flying in from Vietnam, and may go back to Vietnam later, but would need a sponsored visa from my employer in Vietnam to go back there, so I wouldn't have proof of that yet on departure. I don't intend to fly to my home country as it has a $3000 quarantine followed by a departure travel ban for citizens, so I'd end up stuck there. Haven't been to my home county in years. The cheapest outbound flights are for Singapore, but they don't allow foreigners there now. So I'm looking for a feasible outbound ticket within 30 days, even though I intend to extend/change my visa status in Thailand, mainly to satisfy the airline on departure from Vietnam. 

The cheapest outbound flights are for Singapore, but they don't allow foreigners there now. So I'm looking for a feasible outbound ticket within 30 days, even though I intend to extend/change my visa status in Thailand, mainly to satisfy the airline on departure from Vietnam. 

It is not for the airline check-in desk to concern themselves about your onward destination and its present rules under Covid, which, in any case, might change in the following 30-60 days. At check-in, they will just want to be sure that you are conforming to the requirements for entry into Thailand, and that you will not be refused entry whereby they will have to return you to Vietnam for free.

22 minutes ago, allanos said:

The cheapest outbound flights are for Singapore, but they don't allow foreigners there now. So I'm looking for a feasible outbound ticket within 30 days, even though I intend to extend/change my visa status in Thailand, mainly to satisfy the airline on departure from Vietnam. 

It is not for the airline check-in desk to concern themselves about your onward destination and its present rules under Covid, which, in any case, might change in the following 30-60 days. At check-in, they will just want to be sure that you are conforming to the requirements for entry into Thailand, and that you will not be refused entry whereby they will have to return you to Vietnam for free.

That's what I mean. That's why the airline check-in is the one concerned. It's the norm in the region for airlines to require this as they are the ones liable if you are rejected for not having an outbound ticket. It was the case before Covid too. I have been required to do so randomly in the past. They won't let you board without that. I've never been asked on arrival and have never met anybody who has, the issue has always been with the airline at check-in. 

It's probably more than you want to pay, but Qatar flights are currently fully refundable with no fees if you book by April 30. I've already booked and cancelled one ticket for a full refund. It took about a week to get the money back in my credit card.

From their website, "You also have the option to refund the unutilised value of your ticket to the original form of payment with no penalties or refund fees."

• Like 2

hey guy,

If it helps i just arrived in BKK 2 days ago, on a TR60 (from germany).

COE application in germany did not ask for ticket out, so im guessing u intend to come in visa free? Or please correct me.

Airline did not even check me for a onwards ticket. Which is a first for me, on any visa.

all you need is a ticket, and many times I have used some onward flight generator and those were accepted (so far 100% )

hope it helps, as the others mentioned they just need to see a ticket, doesnt have to be valid or even real.

1 hour ago, ren987 said:

hey guy,

If it helps i just arrived in BKK 2 days ago, on a TR60 (from germany).

COE application in germany did not ask for ticket out, so im guessing u intend to come in visa free? Or please correct me.

Airline did not even check me for a onwards ticket. Which is a first for me, on any visa.

all you need is a ticket, and many times I have used some onward flight generator and those were accepted (so far 100% )

hope it helps, as the others mentioned they just need to see a ticket, doesnt have to be valid or even real.

TR60 is a tourist visa though right? I'll be on visa exemption. But still, what you tell me sounds promising. Thanks for your comment. 

13 minutes ago, AUinAsia said:

TR60 is a tourist visa though right? I'll be on visa exemption. But still, what you tell me sounds promising. Thanks for your comment. 

He means a SETV single entry tourist visa stamped in for 60 days. To obtain a boarding pass at ho chi Minh you need 

A visa or rentry permit or if your flying visa exempt you WILL require onward flight.

good luck bro,

SETV is right .

but again visa exempt entry (as mentioned above) might require different things and is typically harder to extend, but may be possible again i just arrived so I have VERY LITTLE CLUE, and I maybe very lucky ( good embassy at Frankfurt, or have a super nice passport (singaporean, but AU is just as good, i think) 

Maybe u dont want to stay longer than ur visa exempt period, but the quarantine is long.

26 minutes ago, ren987 said:

but again visa exempt entry (as mentioned above) might require different things and is typically harder to extend

The is very little difference between applying for a 30 day extension of a tourist visa entry and a visa exempt entry. They both have the same requirements.

On 3/22/2021 at 8:06 AM, mtls2005 said:

Seen some reports of throwaways working but who knows how reliable those reports are. I'm not certain how deep anyone will drill on the 'viability' of an onward ticket, and my first defense might be: the airline issued it, and I expect to be able to meet all of the requirements for that future travel and I plan to utilize that ticket and leave Thailand. If that fails I might buy the least expensive, real ticket one way ex-BKK I could find, preferrably from an airline/site which offers free 24 hour cancellation/refund.

Reminds me of the good old days when some bright marketing spark invented the "return tickets are cheaper than one-way tickets" pricing gimmick, betting that business travellers would pay up. 

The next best solution used to be to buy a full fare-ticket from a reliable airline, and cancel it when you are changing your plans. Pre-Covid, that would be 100 % refund. 
Don't know situation now, or whether the airlines have sufficient cash to give cash refund, or just issue a voucher.