Thailand reports huge surge in COVID-19 cases, 1 more death

webfact

14 hours ago, POUNPOUI said:

Hello from Switzerland. I was in quarantine from 11 to 26 January in BKK. 

Of the new cases, 337 were local transmissions, while 18 were imported from people entering quarantine. 46 others were found from  contact tracing.

It's strange that there is 18 people new covid-19 when entering quarantine, because if you travel by plane from other countries YOU MUST have RT-PCR covid-19 test NEGATIVE.

so 18 got on plane with the virus there is something wrong how did they pass the covid-19.test? because every body on that plane could have now got infected where did this plane come from.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, irishman25 said:

so 18 got on plane with the virus there is something wrong how did they pass the covid-19.test? because every body on that plane could have now got infected where did this plane come from.

Thai people don't need to get a test before flying. 

14 hours ago, kensisaket said:

124 million cases worldwide, 2.72 million deaths is not a joke;

A  2%  death rate I disagree 

Black Death killed about half of all Londoners; from 1347 to 1351, it killed between 30% and 60% of all Europeans.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I don't know.. This constant blaming of Burmese migrants is funny to me. It is the one immigrant (farangs) mimicking the xenophobia of the Thais. When the Thais also do not like the farang. 

It's weird to see... 

For all the blame on Burmese, I've seen almost none of the people on these forums make mention of the ongoing sex work by Thais with Thais and expats that is almost certainly contributing to virus spread. 

I guess it's exclusively the Burmese' fault 

You men the Thai  tarts  hopping  over the border then bringing it  back as mentioned a few  weeks  back in a  few  topics  then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DJBenz said:

Here's a systematic review and meta analysis of 172 studies:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

Another one of 21 studies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7253999/

From a further six studies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7748970/

58 studies:

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

The reason your video was removed is not censorship, it's to stop the spread of misinformation. YouTube, at least at the time of writing, is not a peer-reviewed scientific journal.

The WHO said they were useless and so did  Dr Fauci that's good enough for me.I don't care that they did a back flip latter possibly after investing in mask manufacturing companies who knows.All the studies say stuff like the following quote from the link you provided

"A total of 21 studies met our inclusion criteria. Meta-analyses suggest that mask use provided a significant protective effect"

See that? Meta-analysis "suggest" it doesn't say proves only suggests or "indicates" or "possibly".If you bother to actually read these so called studies you realise that most just pick numbers from data collected about infections but didn't actually do a randomised double blind study did they?Why not?Because they are unethical.So it remains unproven how or if masks are effective. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I don't know.. This constant blaming of Burmese migrants is funny to me. It is the one immigrant (farangs) mimicking the xenophobia of the Thais. When the Thais also do not like the farang. 

It's weird to see... 

For all the blame on Burmese, I've seen almost none of the people on these forums make mention of the ongoing sex work by Thais with Thais and expats that is almost certainly contributing to virus spread. 

I guess it's exclusively the Burmese' fault 

Seeing that the latest surge in Covid cases from Samut Sakhon was largely imported by Burmese migrant labor....blaming them is not the issue but simply a statement of fact that the largest risk from Covid-19 is importation and the largest group coming from a country where Covid is out of control are the Burmese. Save your commentary for situations where it applies.

• Like 2

Guest Harm Hendrik Reitsma
19 hours ago, JackGats said:

Suan Plu, ie the IDC. Cramped conditions to say the least. Would have been a good idea to give everyone there a jab of Chinese vaccine some months ago. Now it's too late.

But, this will not save others because you still are contagious and can infect others.

9 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Then why have the test, if there is a quarantine anyway

I would suspect that it is all part of the filtering system to potentially reduce the number of travelers returning with the virus. That in turn would reduce the risk of further infections and the costs thus incurred.

A test is however not mandatory for Thais because of the difficulty in many countries of obtaining one.  My wife knows a number of her former work colleagues who have returned from Egypt who said it was virtually impossible for them to have a test there unless they showed clear symptoms of having Covid.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KhunMorris said:

The Swedish model was a disaster. Don't let the truth get in the way of your agenda.

Look to Brazil to see what an ineffective lockdown in a poor country looks like. Its a war zone there.

Sincerely 

Morris

why was the swedish model a disaster?.......no lockdown,businesses open ,no job losses and not much higher death toll than countries that went into full down

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gunderhill said:

A  2%  death rate I disagree 

Black Death killed about half of all Londoners; from 1347 to 1351, it killed between 30% and 60% of all Europeans.

not forgetting the 20 million plus that died from the spanish flu 1918-1920

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Correct.  I should have written the "new normal".  Covid isn't going to disappear, we (the world) just need to learn to live with it, just as we did with previous pandemics.

Absolutely, it will never go away but it will be managed, the first step is to finish vaccinations here and everywhere else in the world, after that it will be a virus that just pops up now and again but should not affect normal living/traveling in any major way.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mavideol said:

why local transmissions, they keep saying that everything is/was under control, please, don't tell me they were lying (sarcasm intended)

Obviously you and others think that 337 local transmissions equates to "out of control"

What are other countries facing - Armageddon?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Obviously you and others think that 337 local transmissions equates to "out of control"

What are other countries facing - Armageddon?

Sandy, I would agree with you if they tested on a widespread basis but they don't, and this is what causes many of our views on a lack of clarity from this government and why we talk like we do.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Yes, but you could have contracted it after the test.

They could just as well have contracted it before they tested. There are cases world wide, some in Thailand too, where people in quarantine tests negative on day 3-4 and positive on day 10-13. Not many but there are documented cases proving that incubation period can occasionally be over a week. 

Edited by MikeyIdea

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sandy, I would agree with you if they tested on a widespread basis but they don't, and this is what causes many of our views on a lack of clarity from this government and why we talk like we do.

But obviously the word "perspective" is missing from the vocabulary.

Where exactly is the "lack of clarity" in the OP, or is "views on a lack of clarity from this government" based entirely on the fact they haven't stated how many tests get carried out.

Distorted interpretation, clarity is about what you see with your own eyes, and what I see every time I go to the hospital is a fairly successful policy.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, KhunMorris said:

This is why the expat community don't want foreigners and tourists visiting Thailand. Please stay in your own infected countries.

Sincerely 

Morris 

Thank you for speaking out on behalf of the expat community here..

Hoping you don't live in any former tourist area whose local population was formerly supported by international tourism.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

It seems many people don't understand the science and risk. 

Testing is not perfect. And, not all tests are equally accurate. For example, some countries have Chinese made tests that have very low accuracy.. 

Even high quality tests are not 100% accurate. 

exactly, this is absolutely correct.

But you also have to add an other one data to the algorithm: people there in Thailand are not so much tested (with a much more expensive, but not better quality PCR test...) and it is also very possible to be contaminated there in ASQ hotel by the cook. Even if they do a good job to isolate people (a very good job by the fact, at an expensive price, because the test is one of the most expensive one to be sale to the client... in the same time, workers have a very low salary back), zero risk is not there (or anywhere else as they explain when you pass the NBC formation in the army) and they absolutely don't know if they are contaminated or not. A proof is that someone working in quarantine hotel was already tested positive and contaminated (i read an article here about that... search, you will find it), but no one client was in the same time or before... conclude what it can be. (and, it is something normal, the virus is everywhere around the world i think, it is not because you do not test that it doesn't exist... but i can not see many people fall every day on the floor to die with blood on eyes as it can be seen for Ebola contaminated area).

What ever it is, we can have a look about which choices has been done all over the world by each country or city and which one has the best significant result, and compare also how deep the population is tested or not to conclude what can be possible good choice or not.

1/ So first, the best one result, for sure, are all the countries that do not test much (and at first position, the one that do not test at all). That is perfectly logic, but not a proof of efficiency. By the time, there is also zero death from COVID because they also do not test people who die (easy !).

Then, the difficulty is to understand what is the best to compare low tested population (as Thailand is) and very huge tested one (as European countries are in majority). It is very difficult to get something out from this. So we can exclude all the country that doesn't really play the game to test huge population... because we can not measure anything from there, it is just not possible.

2/ So if we compare same rate of tested population and the choice they did, we can see that lock down or not, mask or not, they have close to the same result and no evidence about what can be good to lock down or to wear mask (outside almost) or not (and this is normal to be a hot subject because of the fear factor propagated, and very low instruction quality by a huge minimalist and ugly rhetoric from all the main media around the world is the consequence of bad reaction and zero thinking even if some binary one exists).

3/ An evidence show by facts now that the lower death rate in cities who practice really a treatment (most of doctors have to fight against there own government to be able to do there job... can you see that ?), because there is some that WHO do not want to hear about (why ?) decrease the death rate by, almost 4, if not more !

4/ We also know that COVID doesn't kill more than road accident, every day. But still... it is the subject number one and it looks like it has to justify to kill little workers and little business around the world... to increase suicide rate, to increase poverty, to kill any social system and much more dramatic effects, even for the people who are waiting to be operate for cancer or something very serious, but still waiting due to dating moved because of COVID situation. Consequence are there, that's it, right now and from 6 month ago already.

Do they speak about that ? no... just "vaccine" proposed as a miracle solution (never mind if very new and untested enough, and Astra-Zeneca, for example, have some problem, most of them on young people bad reaction... but... shut up ! censored).

So what can we be sure about there ? Do i have to trust about any of this story again ? Do i have to panic or to be in fear mode (i will not, it is not my education, it is to bad to panic... not a solution, but a sign of something other is happening).

Thank you mister Jekill from "Jekill Pharma International Ltd" and all his team, to take care of our life so much, i really see the difference how much the population around the world feel better now. Thank you so much to love all of us and to prevent any problem. We are very lucky to paid for your protection... do we have any other choice also ? ????

• Sad 3

24 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

They could just as well have contracted it before they tested. There are cases world wide, some in Thailand too, where people in quarantine tests negative on day 3-4 and positive on day 10-13. Not many but there are documented cases proving that incubation period can occasionally be over a week. 

yes, it can be over a week (rarely), but most probably (much more) it can be from the quarantine area contamination (on the food container as it is the down point there to go for share a virus).

And you will, maybe, never know (you can also understand the trouble if we found in this case, a proof.... they will, most probably by interest, deny,as i can understand honesty doesn't paid for food in the so free market game).

But the honesty should be to: 1/ think about absolutely all that is possible, and 2/ think about the real probability that can be to win the poll position to happen...

I'm sure you approve it as it is logic and honest (or i miss an other one possible solution, it can easy be too, tell me).

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Absolutely, it will never go away but it will be managed, the first step is to finish vaccinations here and everywhere else in the world, after that it will be a virus that just pops up now and again but should not affect normal living/traveling in any major way.

you forget something in your prediction: "mutation".

But it looks like your mind thinking is under control.... test it again with more factual parameter with that can be compared too. We are not talking about the yellow fever or the Leptospirosis there, there is no magic vaccine to waiting for, i think.

But, really, i hope what you are thinking to be real and effective, it should be much more comfortable to go out of the world wide governmental choices that break the lower humanity class at first, and next, the middle one too... we will see, what ever they communicate, the facts (again, and again, and again....).

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Then why have the test, if there is a quarantine anyway

To reduce the charge of the hospital in the country you rich destination... there is maybe some other ideas (it should have some), but i don't see any other actually.

Also, insurance you paid for in the foreign country will not apply because you will stay on yours (the insurance will also be very happy). And so on...

No... it is just because they (any one with power can become ""he" or "they") love you so much and protect also themselves from practice that: Very effective partitioning protocols mean that no claim is easy (see possible). Very efficient to remove maximum wrong situation out of control.

It is an opinion, i do not pretend to provide the true in the world, i just try to understand and i get this result actually.

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, jerolamo said:

you forget something in your prediction: "mutation".

But it looks like your mind thinking is under control.... test it again with more factual parameter with that can be compared too. We are not talking about the yellow fever or the Leptospirosis there, there is no magic vaccine to waiting for, i think.

But, really, i hope what you are thinking to be real and effective, it should be much more comfortable to go out of the world wide governmental choices that break the lower humanity class at first, and next, the middle one too... we will see, what ever they communicate, the facts (again, and again, and again....).

Sorry I have no idea what your saying or trying to get across to me

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

OK, chicken little, the sky isn't falling, the vaccine is here, it's not gonna be the end of the world. Monday morning quarterbacking doesn't help. Did you have the playbook for this before it happened? No one else did either, so people have mostly been doing the best they can with something the likes of which haven't been seen in 100 years or more. Accidents happen, mistakes get made. We're human beings, remember? Fallible. Count your blessings and be well

Incorrect. The AIDS pandemic took out 36 million people between 1981 and today. First identified in Democratic Republic of the Congo in 1976, HIV/AIDS has truly proven itself as a global pandemic, killing more than 36 million people since 1981.

The flu pandemic of 1968 took out a million people. A category 2 Flu pandemic sometimes referred to as “the Hong Kong Flu,” the 1968 flu pandemic was caused by the H3N2 strain of the Influenza A virus, a genetic offshoot of the H2N2 subtype.

The Asian flu of 1956 took out over 2 million souls. Asian Flu was a pandemic outbreak of Influenza A of the H2N2 subtype, that originated in China in 1956 and lasted until 1958. In its two-year spree, Asian Flu traveled from the Chinese province of Guizhou to Singapore, Hong Kong, and the United States. 

Then of course we had the epic Flu pandemic of 1918. Often wrongly referred to as the "Spanish flu". Between 1918 and 1920 a disturbingly deadly outbreak of influenza tore across the globe, infecting over a third of the world’s population and ending the lives of 20 – 50 million people. And over 500 million were infected. 

So, it is not like we were unprepared. At least we should not have been. We just recently had the pandemic of 2009, which was quite deadly. While most cases of pandemic H1N1 were mild, globally it is estimated that the 2009 pandemic caused between 100,000–400,000 deaths in the first year alone. 

If certain rather non visionary sorts had not dismantled the pandemic offices of the CDC, and ignored most protocols, this might not have been as severe, at least in the US. 

https://www.mphonline.org/worst-pandemics-in-history/

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2