CW refused transfer of stamps to new passport: need bank book

Jeez, what a PITFA!  I've seen reports of this being easy with folks being in and out in an hour or so.  Also, I thought all you had to do was turn up with the old and new passports and the letter?  Bank books too?  Bizarre. Is this just some random IO policy decision I wonder?

Edited by SooKee
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, SooKee said:

. Is this just some random IO policy decision I wonder?

No, it's not.

When the first uniformed clerk wanted the bank book she called her superior to explain in better English.  The superior was the one who explained about cancellation of visa, that every single visit at immigration you need to bring an updated bank book with you.  The superior also waived the requirement of a bank letter, requested by still another uniformed clerk.

Transfer of stamps:

2 days

11 stamps (3 for reentry)

7 uniformed people,  plus one without a uniform (the only one who was helpful)

And all this for free! 

• Haha 2

I sat waiting for 2 hrs to do the same thing. Then lunch time came and I left. Asked myself why on earth do I need to transfer the stamps. Answer: no reason at all. Solution: just carry both passports when entering or leaving Thailand. No issues and no aggravation. When extension renewal time comes along, bring both passports and receive new extension in new passport. I did it for over 3 years; traveling in and out of Thailand on a monthly basis (Elite Visa) and nary a word from any IO.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, toolpush said:

I sat waiting for 2 hrs to do the same thing. Then lunch time came and I left. Asked myself why on earth do I need to transfer the stamps. Answer: no reason at all. Solution: just carry both passports when entering or leaving Thailand. No issues and no aggravation. When extension renewal time comes along, bring both passports and receive new extension in new passport. I did it for over 3 years; traveling in and out of Thailand on a monthly basis (Elite Visa) and nary a word from any IO.

I know this.

But try to get a yellow house book, a bank account, a drivers licence or fibre internet with 2 passports... 

Edited by Kiujunn
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, SooKee said:

Jeez, what a PITFA!  I've seen reports of this being easy with folks being in and out in an hour or so.  Also, I thought all you had to do was turn up with the old and new passports and the letter?  Bank books too?  Bizarre. Is this just some random IO policy decision I wonder?

Ignore the account. Nonsense.

20 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

BTW starting April 1st, foreigners who intend to take a motorcycle taxi, have to show their bank book to the driver, updated on the same day. 

So the Taxi driver is the one now checking your bank book before deciding to give you a ride.  Now I have heard it all...Wait maybe Tesco, Big C, Villa, Gourmet Market and the others will want to ensure your bank book shows enough money in it before they will let you shop....C'mon man.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So the Taxi driver is the one now checking your bank book before deciding to give you a ride.  Now I have heard it all...Wait maybe Tesco, Big C, Villa, Gourmet Market and the others will want to ensure your bank book shows enough money in it before they will let you shop....C'mon man.

Yes nonsense......

however am I only one surprised by this. So I grabbed my partners BTS pass ....and at Asoke tried to recharge. The lady wanted my passport. You can't make this stuff up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes nonsense......

however am I only one surprised by this. So I grabbed my partners BTS pass ....and at Asoke tried to recharge. The lady wanted my passport. You can't make this stuff up.

Wow.  Can the BTS Rabbit card be recharged through the Rabbit Line app like I can recharge our families 3 MRT cards through the True App?  

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow.  Can the BTS Rabbit card be recharged through the Rabbit Line app like I can recharge our families 3 MRT cards through the True App?  

Ryan....I'm confused about this. With MRT card I just paid for the card. No pp. Also I have had BTS cards. I don't recall pp required. 

Anyway off topic so leave it there.

Hells Bells it was just a top up and they wanted my pp.

Perhaps her previous job was Nonthaburi immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BTS will ask for PP if you started card with PP.  If you were nice enough the first time. Then you were issued on your DL or resident card.

6 years ago. No one asked you fir any ID. Just money.

If you do have a Rabbit card. You may switch it from a PP or a Resident Card.  And they will not bother about it again. 

Problem solved

23 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

IO: "every time you come to immigration, for whatever reason, you have to show your bank book, updated on the same day. Because, if you spend your money, we will cancel your visa."

Taken at face value, this means that immigration will (may?) be confirming bank balances don't fall below newly required minimums every time you interact with them.  Not just at the annual extensions.  I can see where some unsuspecting expats could get caught out if they're not aware.

Of course, this comes with the usual caveat that it was one guy's experience with one IO supervisor at one immigration office.  YMMV.  And the OP did have his ducks in a row maintaining above the minimums, so we don't know what would have happened... 

But good information nonetheless.  Or at least, one good data point.

Edited by impulse

15 minutes ago, impulse said:

But good information nonetheless.  Or at least, one good data point

It's not good information at all.

Look at emoji for OP.

I think that's kind. 

This OP has zero back up posts from others with similar experience. 

If indeed any of the OP post was credible then you would not attend immigration to transfer stamps. 

I traveled in and out of Thailand twice a month with both passports for over 8 months. Waited for new extension at CW. 

No issue.

This OP initial post is a crock.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's not good information at all.

Look at emoji for OP.

I think that's kind. 

This OP has zero back up posts from others with similar experience. 

If indeed any of the OP post was credible then you would not attend immigration to transfer stamps. 

I traveled in and out of Thailand twice a month with both passports for over 8 months. Waited for new extension at CW. 

No issue.

This OP initial post is a crock.

No,  it's not. 

Please refrain from insulting me.

Of course it may be possible to travel in and out of Thailand with 2 passports,  old one and new one. I don't think you would ever run into problems at the border doing this,  many have posted this.

You seem to be unable to grasp what will happen if you want to check into a hotel at Nakhon Nowhere at 11 p.m., presenting 2 passports to poor little nong with stamps mixed between them. Reckon 30 minutes at reception. 

Try banks, district offices,  whatever bureaucrats - they will be extremely confused with 2 passports.  Border control, no problem. 

So it may be a good idea to transfer stamps. 

Edited by Kiujunn

34 minutes ago, Kiujunn said:

No,  it's not. 

Please refrain from insulting me.

Of course it may be possible to travel in and out of Thailand with 2 passports,  old one and new one. I don't think you would ever run into problems at the border doing this,  many have posted this.

You seem to be unable to grasp what will happen if you want to check into a hotel at Nakhon Nowhere at 11 p.m., presenting 2 passports to poor little nong with stamps mixed between them. Reckon 30 minutes at reception. 

Try banks, district offices,  whatever bureaucrats - they will be extremely confused with 2 passports.  Border control, no problem. 

So it may be a good idea to transfer stamps. 

Your experience is IMHO yet further evidence of CW enhancing their credentials as a rogue office par excellence these days - coming, as it does, on top of the ridiculously pedantic manner in which they interpreted the mandatory health insurance requirement for retirees with original non-OA visas when it was introduced 18 months ago, as graphically described in the following thread:-

Edited by OJAS

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Ryan....I'm confused about this. With MRT card I just paid for the card. No pp. Also I have had BTS cards. I don't recall pp required. 

I was never asked my passport. Did it change since march 2020 ? back in France since that date

2 hours ago, daejung said:

I was never asked my passport. Did it change since march 2020 ? back in France since that date

In fact they asked for my passport only once.

When I bought my BTS Rabbit card, it could be bought anonymously, so they didn' ask for my passport. They changed their rules later (there was an annoucement at BTS stations) and when they did it, they asked only once for my passport but after that first identification they never asked for it again.

Thai people must show their ID too when they first buy their rabbit card, but not when the top it up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OJAS said:

Your experience is IMHO yet further evidence of CW enhancing their credentials as a rogue office par excellence these days - coming, as it does, on top of the ridiculously pedantic manner in which they interpreted the mandatory health insurance requirement for retirees with original non-OA visas when it was introduced 18 months ago, as graphically described in the following thread:-

I believe that was before the insurance companies were truly imputing the insurance certificates in the Immigration database they are now using.  No matter what you should always have your previous certificate and your current one in hand with you when you go as well as copies of all other papers just in case you may be asked for it.  As we all know having just the minimum required paperwork may or may not get you through the process.  Better safe than sorry and the extra trips and leg work.

4 hours ago, daejung said:

MRT are now asking that you register your card with them if you have not already, and this goes for all folks not just foreigners.  As I said I believe it is also a way of tracking you in and out of the turnstiles as most folks are not scanning the QR codes on the trains themselves and checking in and out.  Not enough time before the doors close on you and the 20 or so others trying to exit the train, as the QR code is right at the door or on the wall.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Hold on, this is Thailand, surely you must know how Thais love authority. I know what I would tell any jobsworth who wanted to see my bank book.

33 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

MRT are now asking that you register your card with them if you have not already, and this goes for all folks not just foreigners.  As I said I believe it is also a way of tracking you in and out of the turnstiles as most folks are not scanning the QR codes on the trains themselves and checking in and out.  Not enough time before the doors close on you and the 20 or so others trying to exit the train, as the QR code is right at the door or on the wall.

The joke is you had to register when you purchased the card.

24 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Hold on, this is Thailand, surely you must know how Thais love authority. I know what I would tell any jobsworth who wanted to see my bank book.

What would you tell them? Here you go, here is my pin code, ATM is on my back, take what you need.....lol, sarcasm as it is.  TIT and as much as Thais say they do not like gossip and feeding others information behind your back.....yes TIT.  Land of lies and you must take all with a grain of salt.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, tonray said:

The joke is you had to register when you purchased the card.

Not back when I picked up my card, the Gf's or her daughters.  Just paid the fee, loaded the card originally and then added each card by the number on it to the MRT app through the TRUEMoney wallet where I could top up as needed without walking up to the booth.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, daejung said:

Yes, both Rabbit and MRT+ now need you to register with "Know Your Customer" (it's a government requirement), either with Thai ID or passport. It should be a one off requirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I believe it is also a way of tracking you in and out of the turnstiles

If you use Bangkok Bank's Rabbit Card as a courtesy,  Bangkok Bank will let you know all your past trips, when and at what time you entered or exited BTS.

Bangkok Bank will not tell you the real name, ID number and phone number of the person traveling with you. 

20 minutes ago, Kiujunn said:

If you use Bangkok Bank's Rabbit Card as a courtesy,  Bangkok Bank will let you know all your past trips, when and at what time you entered or exited BTS.

Bangkok Bank will not tell you the real name, ID number and phone number of the person traveling with you. 

The bigger question is "will they tell the government when someone has tested positive for Covid" and they need to track and trace who was where and in proximity based on the information.....

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not back when I picked up my card, the Gf's or her daughters.  Just paid the fee, loaded the card originally and then added each card by the number on it to the MRT app through the TRUEMoney wallet where I could top up as needed without walking up to the booth.  

I have the Senior 50% discount MRT card and I definitely had to register with passport already but two months ago I was asked to register again when I tried to top up. I don't carry my passport so I gave them my Thai driver's license and although that seemed to confuse them a bit, it seemed to work.

• Thanks 1