Alcohol ban in Thailand this weekend

rooster59

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Are you serious, live in Thailand?

You need a source about the election?

I don't. Terrible loudspeaker monsters passing every hour and shouting for their candidate.

Reason: it's called the election law.

Same for every election since I remember.

I think it's called sarcasm! (Which is also called the lowest for of wit!)

3 hours ago, UncleMhee said:

Thais go to the polls on Sunday for the first time since 2011, which also means there will be a 24-hour alcohol ban this weekend.

Alcohol sales and distribution will be forbidden from 6pm on Saturday to 6pm on Sunday.Officials say weddings, parties and other celebrations can still be organised for these dates but there must be no alcohol served or consumed.

https//www.nationthailand.com/news/30366322

"Weddings, parties and other celebrations can still be organised for these dates but there must be no alcohol served or consumed."

For those who are having their wedding or big celebration for which they have probably been saving up all year, and in the case of farangs, paid through the nose and jumped through all kinds of hoops to be among the privileged few allowed into the country - "WELCOME TO PARADISE"!

Edited by sambum
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Exceptions for foreigners is never going to happen. Just stock up your fridge and invite some mates over or watch some movies. Not a big deal. Little family shops is sois will sell it to you regardless. 

It is 4pm right now. Will 7-11s and other outlets open for booze at 5pm as usual, and then stop selling at 6pm?

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

How is having a drink at a bar compared to having one at home going to effect a local election?

Especially when it mostly affects Ferrangs & touristy places as the Thai bars etc never close and we dont have a vote!!????????????????

25 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

It is 4pm right now. Will 7-11s and other outlets open for booze at 5pm as usual, and then stop selling at 6pm?

Probably not. Last time there was a ban my local 7/11's all stopped selling at 2pm Saturday until 11am Monday. Conversely, during the "lockdown" my local restaurant was not serving alcohol even theough the 7/11 a hundred yards up the road was selling alcohol. Ah well, at least I have enough single malt whisky and bacardi in the house to see me through the weekend.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

7-11 goes by the book, but not sure they'll sell booze for just one hour. Find a little family owned shop, and they'll likely oblige.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Anyway, if the elections are on Sunday, why a ban on Saturday?

A ban on buying is not a ban on drinking

The best solution to this dilemma is to give everyone outside the polling booth a breath test before being allowed in!

Why not throw in a PCR test for good measure.

12 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

7-11 goes by the book, but not sure they'll sell booze for just one hour. Find a little family owned shop, and they'll likely oblige.

The 'book' says 5pm to 11pm. But NOT from 6pm on day before elections.

The 7/11 and Lotus cash register seems to be tied in with the "rules" so they can not ring up the sale of grog other than what they are programmed with. That's my take anyway.  

My two little shops in the village sell grog anytime, "if we close just bang on the window and no problem" .

• Like 1

Interesting , there is a new little A/C restaurant in town , went there last week and had a beer with my meal , will see if I get another tonight at 6.30.  If ' No ' I will get 'er indoors to say I am a ferlang so can't vote so give him a Leo.   Will tell of the outcome tomorrow.

IMGP1696.JPG

4 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

No worries; Mom and Pop shop next door to the Election Office will sell you Booze any day of the year, ban or no ban !

Yes indeed, and certainly my experience when I lived in rural villages tucked away in Lanna and then Issan!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

No worries; Mom and Pop shop next door to the Election Office will sell you Booze any day of the year, ban or no ban !

In my neck of the woods in CM, the last banned days were heavily enforced and virtually impossible to get a beer. The coppers and their snitches really had people scared.

4 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

And at any time of day they are open... ????- on my Soi in central BKK I go for a walk around 7 a.m. and I can guarantee there's a group of guys sat facing the Mom and Pop shop having a beer. Not drunk, they've just finished their shifts at the local large hotel and having an after work beer & chat. Don't see anything wrong with it.

Couldn't agree more.....sensible, social drinking.

If someone turns up to vote drunk would it make any difference to how they cast their vote.

4 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

And at any time of day they are open... ????- on my Soi in central BKK I go for a walk around 7 a.m. and I can guarantee there's a group of guys sat facing the Mom and Pop shop having a beer. Not drunk, they've just finished their shifts at the local large hotel and having an after work beer & chat. Don't see anything wrong with it.

Just like the 6am openers back in the old days for the night shift workers when most pubs could not open until 10am.

3 hours ago, sherwood said:

Be a happy man when these speaker trucks stop spruking at full noise, 6am and 5pm every day for the past month. Lucky there is only two of them. 

Must be beer o'clock. Cheers

The muppet next door to me is trying to win his place at the trough, this morning at stupid o clock he started a pickup with hardly any exhaust & then started playing the tape or CD with the music and shouting to grab the voters attention ????????????????????

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Its my birthday, the Mrs has just been given 400bt to vote for Burhh 1, but cannot take me out and buy me a beer with her windfall!

The wife, her father & daughter have received over 4000 baht between them to learn how to vote. A couple of candidates came to the house and when the wife gave them the names of 25 relatives she was given another 5000 baht to distribute to them.

But these were only the cheap charlies giving 200 baht per person. The big honcho was giving 500 baht.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Just bought some beer at our local market for a small party this evening...right next to the stall selling it is the village police office....maybe the memo didn't make it to them.

That is almost as surprising as the shop selling bongs/pipes/papers within 20m of the KSR station.

• Haha 1