Overstay question

I had a friend call me today as I usually know more than the average guy regarding visas in Thailand (thanks to you guys!)

He is on a Covid 19 extension visa which expired on the 16th of March and he just realized it this morning...

He asked me the consequences and if he could fix the issue on Monday.

I told him I wasn't sure but was under the impression he may have to pay for an overstay fine for 13 days (6,500B) and could possibly reapply for an extension on the same day for another 2 months.

Am I correct in my assumption? Don't want to give him false hope.

Thanks in advance

8 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

told him I wasn't sure but was under the impression he may have to pay for an overstay fine for 13 days (6,500B) and could possibly reapply for an extension on the same day for another 2 months.

Will be interested in the experts advice. 

If it was few days think he would be ok to pay the 500/day fine. However 13 days is getting 'out there' 

Which immigration office. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Will be interested in the experts advice. 

If it was few days think he would be ok to pay the 500/day fine. However 13 days is getting 'out there'

Yes that worries me a bit for him, but I hope they will be more lenient due to the complications of traveling now

8 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

I really hope so, thank you for your answer!

At this time they should be more flexible than normal and it does help that he can apply for the 60 day extension. Be sure they have all the required documents ready.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

I really hope so, thank you for your answer!

You can pretty much take ubonjoe advice to the bank. 

So your friend needs to have everything ready for his 60 day covid extension along with cash for his fine.

Good luck.

If he is in BKK you need to clarify exactly what to do. Clear up fine at CW or at MTT. It's at MTT where he would be obtaining extension.

Ubonjoe?

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

Thank you for all the answers.

He is in Bangkok so I guess it will be MTT. His TM30 has been done already.

As I never did this process, may I ask you what documents need to be prepared?

All the usual photocopies and which forms should I prepare? As he is older, I'll probable handle everything for him.

1 minute ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

All the usual photocopies and which forms should I prepare?

The standard TM7 form with a 4 X 6 cm photo attached. Copies of passport photo page, visa, extension stamp, entry stamp and TM6 departure card. The will give him a 2 or 3 other forms to complete. Plus the affidavit stating why he requires the extension. 

60 Day Covid 19 Extension Affidavit.pdf229.8 kB · 256 downloads

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Yes that worries me a bit for him, but I hope they will be more lenient due to the complications of traveling now

What complications in travelling, there are next to non in Thailand, and that is the only ones that would affect his ability to apply for an extension in country, what happens out of country does not affect his ability to keep extensions up to date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thai006 said:

im not sure but i dont think you can extend visa on overstay , he need to leave thailand  now 

unless you are 100%, One Hundred Percent, Sure......why give the guy stress he doesn't need?  

"he need to leave thailand now"......is this really necessary?

bro, relax, don't worry, he'll probably be fine after he pays.  don't worry

• Like 1

No worries. A very close friend of mine overstayed in December (Christmas time) around 20 days. Paid the fine, applied covid extension, and was successfully granted. Chon Buri Immigration. 

Seriously, not too worry. Pay the fine and all will be OK.

Edit: Have him do it ASAP (Monday, best). The fine is guaranteed and non-negotiable. Tell him not to even think about it. Apologize a million times, and pay the fine, then apply extension.

Edited by ctxa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The standard TM7 form with a 4 X 6 cm photo attached. Copies of passport photo page, visa, extension stamp, entry stamp and TM6 departure card. The will give him a 2 or 3 other forms to complete. Plus the affidavit stating why he requires the extension. 

60 Day Covid 19 Extension Affidavit.pdf229.8 kB · 256 downloads

Thank you very much!

Thank you all for the answers, I really appreciate it!

Regarding "complications" to travel, I meant mostly getting back to Thailand with everything that is required, especially the ASQ and its cost. That would be an unnecessary waste of money and hopefully it will be avoided.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ctxa said:

No worries. A very close friend of mine overstayed in December (Christmas time) around 20 days. Paid the fine, applied covid extension, and was successfully granted. Chon Buri Immigration. 

Seriously, not too worry. Pay the fine and all will be OK.

Edit: Have him do it ASAP (Monday, best). The fine is guaranteed and non-negotiable. Tell him not to even think about it. Apologize a million times, and pay the fine, then apply extension.

Hopefully, it will go as smooth as for your friend. Thank you

It is at the discretion of the officials. In the past, most offices would not make a big issue of an application with less than a week of overstay, but were inclined to be sticky if more than that. As @ubonjoe posted, officials are probably inclined to be relatively forgiving at the current time, but there are no guarantees.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2021 at 5:50 PM, thai006 said:

im not sure but i dont think you can extend visa on overstay , he need to leave thailand  now 

We help with this type of situation regularly, and yes he would need to clear the overstay fine.

Like the OP mentioned when attempting to do this on your own results may vary.

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre
  • Like 1