Short Marraige Extension

I've just been over to Jomtien Immigration to get my Marriage Ext stamp and came home a little bewildered, the extension isn't for 12 (11) months, it expires on the day my passport expires. I tried asking if when I have a new passport, do I go back and get a new stamp that will give me the balance, all I got was the usual blank look, then a smile, and some head nodding that instilled no confidence that was what would happen.

Marraige-Stamp.jpg

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

@ubonjoe, I believe that the visa I am extending will continue and be transferred to the new passport, is that correct ??

After getting the new passport you can have your stamps transferred to the new one.

Immigration will do a stamp with spaces on it for info about your old passport and the non-o visa you used to enter the country that allowed the 90 day permit to stay you have been extending.

6 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

Ok thanks

Not knowing about your extension only issued till expiry of passport has happened in the past to others. Hopefully your experience can make sure people check time left on pp.

Back to your situation. I'm still unsure what happens next. Obviously you obtain a new passport. Do you then apply for another new extension prior to you current extension expires. (pre Oct 25).

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Do you then apply for another new extension prior to you current extension expires. (pre Oct 25).

Answered here.

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It has been the rule since 2013 if your passport expires prior to day you extension ends it will only be issued to the day it expires.

You then have to apply for a new extension prior to that day after getting a new passport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Happyman567 said:

I am due for a new Australian Passport in 2023 They advise me to get the application in 6 months before the date date it expires Do you have a set time when u must apply for your new passport

No time limit.

Keep in mind that Oz passports are valid for 10 years. I never understand why people leave it till last year to obtain a new one. Can't be a cost saving thing surely.

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, Happyman567 said:

I am due for a new Australian Passport in 2023 They advise me to get the application in 6 months before the date date it expires Do you have a set time when u must apply for your new passport

If applying for extensions of stay at immigration the important date is when your extension is due in relation to the date your passport is expiring. If you do not have enough validity your extension will only be done to the day passport expires.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

No time limit.

Keep in mind that Oz passports are valid for 10 years. I never understand why people leave it till last year to obtain a new one. Can't be a cost saving thing surely.

She,ll be right mate! 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, paulbrow said:

Personally, I always get a new passport at least 6 months before expiration as most country's require a minimum of 6 months remaining on a passport to issue any visas....

I was going to suggest the same thing. I learned that when I renewed my last time in 2013. I was inquiring at my embassy because I didn't want to get caught out on a Visa app someplace. It made a lot of sense to me.