Pattaya: Eleven year old shoots five year old dead with rifle he found at house

webfact

4pm1.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

Police were called to a one story house on a quarter rai of land in Soi Anamai Nong Ta-Un, Pong, Bang Lamung after a five year old child was shot with a Thai made .22 rifle.

The police found only bloodstains near the hall. A five year old Cambodian boy had already been taken to Bang Lamung Hospital by Sawang Boriboon rescue foundation  after being shot in the forehead, the bullet lodging in the right side of the head. 

He died later in hospital. 

Sophon Cable TV said that three children had been playing and the boy that pulled the trigger was an eleven year old relative of the dead boy's father. 

They found the gun and thought it wasn't real. They both were giving evidence to the Nong Prue police.

Sophon said that the tragedy was a result of "naughtiness".

Posters on the story turned on the media for this comment with many saying that it wasn't the fault of the child but the adults.

"Tuk" summed it up saying: "Don't blame the kid - where were all the adults who left children alone with a gun to play with?"

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-29

• Sad 8

1 hour ago, outsider said:

The gun owner should be given the entire book and then some, for leaving a loaded gun lying around like that. Even if the kids were naughty and found it after rummaging through stuffs, there is still no excuse for keeping a gun and ammunition close together, never mind leaving it loaded.

...I cannot see anywhere in the OPs article that the 'rifle' (not a gun) was loaded. Are you adding this yourself, or are you quoting from another article..if so please post the link.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, mr_lob said:

Sadly, the adults won't face any consequences...after they have given excuse after excuse to the BIB and money has changed hands, all will be forgotten.

Sad state of affairs, RIP little fella

Yes .. The new crime of Naughty Ed’s will be added to the adults cases now 

• Like 1

Yes this is very tragic RIP little guy you all can put blame on the kids but blame purely lies on the parents for not educating the kids about gun safety loaded or not always treat every gun as though it’s loaded! And yes I’m an AMERICAN and my guns have never killed anyone nor have any family members we were all educated from the time we could walk 

• Like 2

Same old news. 

Irresponsible parents or Gun Owners. 

Happens all over the world.  

How about 11 year old electrocutes 5 year old in bathtub with electric fan? 

We still have not approved Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters in this country! 

That can at least be legislated and enforced by municipalities during construction or purchase. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

You do not " Hide " Guns away from Children.

If Children see anything that is supposed to be hidden they will be mystified by it, and want to investigate..

You should lock Guns safely away in a cabinet and keep the action and Ammo separate

The owner of this Weapon, probably owned an unlawful weapon that has killed a small child.

I  just hope that he will be able to sleep at night, as this should haunt him the rest of his life.

RIP Little Guy

Yes, to "hide" is not a garanty and would probably increase the curiosity if they know something is hidden to. And put it in a safe is far better.

There is something much more better to be sure this can never happen:

To have a law that forbid to have a weapon. The correct place of a weapon is in an armory, in the police, in a club, or in an army regiment.

Also, i think that in Thailand, you can not have a gun that easy, you should provide some authorization and even if, you can not let the gun loaded.

They should then be in more trouble than just money (but they also loos a child, which is the most dramatic trouble they could have).

In fact, there is some thinking decreased points on this way: you can even thinking that the weapon is enough high so they can not catch it, or you can thinking that the weapon is not loaded, so they can not use it, or you can thinking the weapon is hidden, so they can not find it, or that the weapon is in a safe, so they can not access the content of the safe, or thinking that if you do not have weapon, for sure, they can not use something do not exist.

As you can see... you can arrange yourself with your level of conscience, but facts are facts. No weapon, no shut possible.

Some people are thinking there are far better than other... out of real facts that can happen in real life.

Also... what are you doing with a weapon ? to be safe ? really ? if someone coming in your home with a weapon, if they see you with a weapon, they will shut, for sure. If someone coming to stole and you are not there, you come when they are already inside, but find your weapon... not good.

There is a lot of scenari that can make your life more unsafe, just because you detain a weapon in a relatively safe country who is not a war area.

No weapon, better.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

there surely is a Cambodian father to the 5yr old "Cambodian boy": How can a foreign labourer keep live firearms in this sufficiently controlled country TH? May we guess there are many more non- TH under full weapon?

Adult responsibility seems not to exist here in Thailand! What's the mindset when adults think it was "naughtiness" ......... typical teflon shoulders & lack of parenting. A tragic occurrence which could have been avoided. A loaded gun left unattended? Why was the gun not secured in a cabinet & why was it loaded? No excuses at all & the owner should be charged accordingly. However, guns are readily available here with very weak background checks & their laws are basically the same as in the USA, hence the tragic loss of life here due to the lack of thought & safety. A sad, sad loss of a child. 

6 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

NO ! It was the fault of uneducated , non caring , stupid parents who did not hide a loaded gun away from young kids .

No cure for stupidity .

I'd say there is, and in its most effective form you could call it euthanasia!

Why the outrage?  This is a country that allows young motor cyclists to die at the rate of one every 35 MINUTES!  The parents (and the police) are complicit in this carnage with no action taken EVER!

The question that should be asked is how/why was a rifle allowed into a home with children.  The owner should be imprisoned immediately.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tandor said:

...I cannot see anywhere in the OPs article that the 'rifle' (not a gun) was loaded. Are you adding this yourself, or are you quoting from another article..if so please post the link.

I never heard of an unloaded gun going off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

some replies here are as stupid as the crime of leaving a bullet in a weapon, if it was, when I was eleven I went shooting rabbits as part of helping to feed family, single shot so no second chance but that the way it was back then. Rip little one

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tandor said:

Do you believe that the 11 year old was capable of loading the rifle?

It is highly likely the rifle was left loaded. This is how they do it.

• Like 2