Jump to content

How to save money on your electricity bill during hot season in Thailand


webfact

Recommended Posts

8pm.jpg

Graphic: MEA - Daily News

 

With the hot season already upon us, it wont come as a surprise to find out that April and May are typically peak months for energy consumption in Thailand. 

 

Trying to keep your home cool by having the air conditioning running for just a few extra hours each day will significantly increase energy usage and you may have already seen a spike in your electricity bill.

 

And now with the school holidays about to start and more people choosing to stay in or work from home, you could end up spending even more on your electricity bill than you would do normally for this time of year.

 

But in a bid to  try and help people reduce their power consumption, the Metropolitan Electricity Authority has revealed some simple tips that everyone should follow in order to help keep power bills down.

 

In a report by Daily News, the MEA said that to run a 12,000 BTU air-con when it is 35C costs 0.69 units per hour or 2.69 baht. 

 

Running one for a month, they said would cost 646 baht (obviously not 24/7).

 

However, if the temperature reaches 41C then the bill would surge by around 14 percent, or 93 baht.

 

An hour of operation would use 0.79 units and cost 3.08 baht meaning it would cost 739 baht a month to run.

 

In order to help keep power bills down during the hot season the MEA advised people to set their  air conditioners to 26c to ensure best performance.

 

A regularly maintained air conditioner will also perform more efficiently, with the MEA advising homeowners to ensure they service their air con units at least twice a year, making sure the units are thoroughly cleaned. Finally, where possible use a fan instead of the air con due to it consuming less power.

 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

We find it best to leave the house & stay in a nice resort, during the hot season.

 

Let the resort owner worry about the electricity bill 😉

That has got to be cheaper.......

Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to a shopping mall and watch all the other people being there because they want to save money on their electricity bill. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, webfact said:

help people reduce their power consumption, the Metropolitan Electricity Authority has revealed some simple tips that everyone should follow in order to help keep power bills down.

Do what the Thais do  goto the shopping Mall for  the free aircon  all day 😋

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

When you have money going out left right and centre, as I do, saving a couple of k a month on a bill counts for basically nothing.

Well mate, not every one is a rich man like you, either that or your BSing.🤔🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, johng said:

Do what the Thais do  goto the shopping Mall for  the free aircon  all day 😋

Our community room and library seems to be quite popular on hot, sunny days???

Link to post
Share on other sites

We only run A/C at night and at 28C.

 

Unfortunately we appear to have the grandkids over again next week, they are rather less frugal 😞 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

grandkids over again next week, they are rather less frugal

 

Time for a few more kilowatts of solar panels ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, johng said:

Time for a few more kilowatts of solar panels ?

 

Sadly there's no more room on the car port or they would be going up now.

 

Have to expand the space first.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We only run A/C at night and at 28C.

 

Unfortunately we appear to have the grandkids over again next week, they are rather less frugal 😞 

 

 

 

 

My kids are off school and sitting in their room all day with the AC on.

 

I never really understood the fascination with lecky bills with expats here, so if your bill is a few K up next month is that really going to make much difference to your life/budget?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Johnny Mac said:

My kids are off school and sitting in their room all day with the AC on.

 

I never really understood the fascination with lecky bills with expats here, so if your bill is a few K up next month is that really going to make much difference to your life/budget?

In March I generated 138 units, used another 133 units on top of that and was given a 25 unit discount.

Total final bill 400bht, I'm happy with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

 

My kids are off school and sitting in their room all day with the AC on.

 

I never really understood the fascination with lecky bills with expats here, so if your bill is a few K up next month is that really going to make much difference to your life/budget?

 

My highest electricity bill in this house was 8k. That was 3 ac runnining around 12 hours a day each.

 

Generally its around 1400.  It doesnt make a big difference, but it adds up, especially when im indifferent generally and it has to be crazy hot before I bother.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

In March I generated 138 units, used another 133 units on top of that and was given a 25 unit discount.

Total final bill 400bht, I'm happy with that.

So?

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

 

My kids are off school and sitting in their room all day with the AC on.

 

I never really understood the fascination with lecky bills with expats here, so if your bill is a few K up next month is that really going to make much difference to your life/budget?

  Waste beer money, that's why.

 

(ofc, I expect you don't drink)

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, faraday said:

  Waste beer money, that's why.

 

(ofc, I expect you don't drink)

 

Yea that's probably the best explanation for getting soooo excited with a cheaper lecky bill.

 

Lol, I'm one of the few on here that do drink, I would lose my mind here if I never had a beer. My wife isn't a lawyer either, and I don't bake my own bread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

but this year is cooler because of la nina.

so far there was not any heat wave and already the southerly monsoon brings clouds and rain is forecast within days.

 

so far I am using only fans. As i live on the ground floor and the house is over a wet soil, floor tiles are cool throughout day.

When too hot I do take shower, even without soaping, and not drying skin.

Our bills are below 500b, with very large fridge/freezer, my pc and 1 or 2 fans 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Johnny Mac said:

Yea that's probably the best explanation for getting soooo excited with a cheaper lecky bill.

 

Lol, I'm one of the few on here that do drink, I would lose my mind here if I never had a beer. My wife isn't a lawyer either, and I don't bake my own bread.

I want a low electricity bill so I can feel morally superior to all the climate alarmists, when I'm participating in climate change threads. My carbon footprint is considerably smaller than yours!

Link to post
Share on other sites

This time of year, I usually turn on the A/C around 5 pm. The rest of the year not until 8 pm or 9 pm. Even then, I set it for 31 or 30. Run a fan alongside the bed and things are just fine. I rarely have an electric bill over 1000 baht. April and May, it sometimes gets to around 1100.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

but this year is cooler because of la nina.

so far there was not any heat wave and already the southerly monsoon brings clouds and rain is forecast within days.

 

so far I am using only fans. As i live on the ground floor and the house is over a wet soil, floor tiles are cool throughout day.

When too hot I do take shower, even without soaping, and not drying skin.

Our bills are below 500b, with very large fridge/freezer, my pc and 1 or 2 fans 

 

500 baht is low. Even during the months when I don't use a/c I usually get a bill around 750 to 800 baht.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

 

My kids are off school and sitting in their room all day with the AC on.

 

I never really understood the fascination with lecky bills with expats here, so if your bill is a few K up next month is that really going to make much difference to your life/budget?

 

It's part of acclimatizing yourself. I would hate to be dependent on a/c where I wasn't ready for the weather. If you're going to live in a country with a hot climate, you better adapt. Fortunately, I was used to it already. Where I come from is actually hotter than Thailand during the summer, although not nearly as humid. I always tried to limit my dependence on a/c back home, too. A lot of Euros come here and just wilt in the heat. Best to know how to keep the house cool naturally and capture a breeze, however little it may be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

We find it best to leave the house & stay in a nice resort, during the hot season.

 

Let the resort owner worry about the electricity bill 😉

 

You still pay. It's factored in to your bill.  Probably x2, just to make sure it's paid....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not understand people who set the Air Con to 28 29 30 31 !!

If you do that you are wasting electricity imo.

Mine gets set at 16 before we go to bed although I do admit my Thai wife has her blanket ready!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, cauldlad said:

I do not understand people who set the Air Con to 28 29 30 31 !!

If you do that you are wasting electricity imo.

Mine gets set at 16 before we go to bed although I do admit my Thai wife has her blanket ready!!

that because the title of this thread is about saving money and electricity. 

In europe comfortable temperature for male is 18C, for female 20C. In thailand it's higher.

The majority of thai population don't have aircon.

When I go on holidays I try to chose fan rooms, they are minimum 100b cheaper.

Say, running air con, as well as buying, maintaining, replacing air con costs 50b per day (that for 10h use) which makes 18k per year. That is a monthly wage. 

Running fan is about 10x cheaper

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...