More COVID cases in Surat Thani?

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

I sdon't think there are any in Samui. I believe there is one in Surat thani, but haven't heard any news of an outbreak there.

Yes there are...the Bhavana Vocational College has about 500 students..

There are also the Uniue or other tertiary colleges. 

I get the feeling that if there is an outbreak at one of these there could well be a cover up.

13 hours ago, kwilco said:

What is needed is a map of the new cases showing how they are connected or not.

There are sometimes shared timelines in Thai language in the Thai news forums, but I've only shared a few timelines when I saw them translated to English. Also some clusters have been named, like for example "Black Club Cluster". You can find some of the timelines in this Facebook news-group HERE (Koh Samui Update News), or search for the official site from Surat Thani government, you might need to do that in Thai language.

Some staff are warning me not to go to Bangrak market. (Next to Big Buddha.)

They say that there is a large cluster of cases (39).

I hope that this is all a false rumour, but maybe stay away until there is more information?

The market was still very busy when I drove by this morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually Samui seems to have the highest Covid-vaccination rate in Thailand, so if vaccine works, should we then have so relative many new cases?

-Or are the positive new cases asymptomatic, or so mild (due to vaccinations) that it doesn't matter, i.e. we can live with Covid, just like we can live with cold and flu...????

Bear in mind, that even 17,917 people have died with Covid-19 so far, then 44,549 people in Thailand died from the flu in 2018 (WHO count).

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

Or are the positive new cases asymptomatic, or so mild (due to vaccinations) that it doesn't matter, i.e. we can live with Covid, just like we can live with cold and flu...

There are some guests staying in a couple of the villas that are Covid positive. They were tested because of the school cluster. All were asymptomatic. The adults were double vaccinated.

They were in hospital for a while and then at a hospitel. They are now past the 'contagious' stage and are completing their quarantine at home until their final test. (This week.)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

There are some guests staying in a couple of the villas that are Covid positive. They were tested because of the school cluster. All were asymptomatic. The adults were double vaccinated.

They were in hospital for a while and then at a hospitel. They are now past the 'contagious' stage and are completing their quarantine at home until their final test. (This week.)

I was speaking to someone yesterday, who along with all his family had it a couple of weeks ago. He told me all but one were asymptomatic, and when in hospital, he may have meant hospitel, many cases were the same... All felt fit with no symptoms at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cluster or Outbreak? UK epidemiological definitions.

Cluster criteria

Two or more test-confirmed cases of COVID-19 among individuals associated with a specific non-residential setting with illness onset dates within a 14-day period.

(In the absence of detailed information about the type of contact between the cases).

End of cluster

No test-confirmed cases with illness onset dates in the last 14 days.

Outbreak criteria

Two or more test-confirmed cases of COVID-19 among individuals associated with a specific non-residential setting with illness onset dates within 14 days, and one of:

identified direct exposure between at least 2 of the test-confirmed cases in that setting (for example under one metre face to face, or spending more than 15 minutes within 2 metres) during the infectious period of one of the cases

when there is no sustained local community transmission - absence of an alternative source of infection outside the setting for the initially identified cases

End of outbreak

No test-confirmed cases with illness onset dates in the last 28 days in that setting.

Note: The threshold for the end of an outbreak is higher than the end of a cluster.