Thailand reports 559 new COVID-19 cases, 1 more death

webfact

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Those bed numbers were just at the particular private facilities on that list... as best as I understand it... It was a sampling, not the entirety.

This was a broader list that supposedly reflects all COVID suitable hospital beds in the BKK region as of last fall. The bottom line of this chart shows private hospitals last fall having 1656 COVID suitable beds at 82 private hospitals out of a total of 2532 COVID beds at the time. The prior horizontal columns on the chart are those facilities and beds run by various government agencies.

Screenshot_2.jpg.a3282736482861a8bc0bd5aae1af3505.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Have they stopped counting when they ran out of tests?

Some BKK hospitals say they have stopped testing... Others are continuing to...and among those that are, some it seems are exercising discretion along the lines of testing people who are visibly sick or at high risk, but turning away others who want to be tested for other reasons like Song Kran travel.  It's getting pretty fuzzy.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

9 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Our car has Bangkok plates....we drove to a restaurant last night in Isan.........it was busy...open till midnight.......we sat down about 8pm and the waitress came running over....sorry, but the kitchen has just run out of food??

Smart girl!

The government announced Friday they had establish a new local hotline phone number -- 1668 -- to help people testing positive with COVID to find available hospital or "hospitel" beds. They also have a 1422 MoPH hotline for general COVID info.

Screenshot_8.jpg.4e3a9e773a0a88008b31491a1fac6ff2.jpg

https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&pto=aue,boq&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://pr.moph.go.th/%3Furl%3Dpr/detail/2/04/156581/

Thammasat Chalermprakiat Hospital is preparing to open a 450-bed field hospital this week.

The Army says they are preparing 2000+ beds in various field hospital facilities being established in Bangkok and nearby provinces.

And the government says they hope to make available up to 1,000 "hospitel" (hospital/hotel) beds in the coming days.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

The numbers have been off since day one. The scam quarantine for foreigners was a complete failure. So focused on making their Thai buddies richer they seem to have forgotten most of the population. Better start digging some mass graves.

I doubt it.  The mortality rate is extremely low.  

Shortage of COVID testing kits, or shortage of available COVID hospital beds, is the reason at least a dozen BKK hospitals have stopped offering tests?

One more vote on the topic that can't seem to get a consistent answer from various authorities:

Bangkok’s hospitals have sufficient COVID-19 test kits

"Bangkok’s hospitals still have enough COVID-19 test supplies, but they have had to suspend testing due to a shortage of hospital beds, according to the Director-General of the Department of Medical Sciences, Dr. Suppakit Sirilak.

Currently, there are 300,000-400,000 test kits in Thailand, while there are 270 hospitals across the country, both private and government, approved by the Department of Medical Sciences to provide COVID-19 tests.

As for the rumours of a test kit shortage in private hospitals, Dr. Suppakit explained that it may arise from concerns that the hospital beds would fill up. He suggested that those who are not at risk take saliva tests samples instead."

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkoks-hospitals-have-sufficient-covid-19-test-kits/

8 minutes ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Anybody who knows the Thai karaoke/pretty scene will know that girls travel all round the country drinking and socializing sharing drinks and other activities.

What could possibly go wrong?

And what about the Thais girls that were in Myanmar wandering all over Thailand.  The Thai government is so concerned about foreigners arriving they in their great wisdom decided all their Thai hi-so friends should get a cut of the scam. It has been a blood bath since day one with all the insurance/hotel sharks in a pool of foreigner suckers willing to pay thousands to be locked up in a over rated expensive hotel. Total waste of effort outside of $$$ for their rich buddies. Now thousands will likely die because of their stupid greed. Where are the vaccines ???????????????????????????

For the average person in Thailand, the government is talking about no sooner than June for widespread availability of government-funded vaccines, starting and then extending through the rest of the year.

Unless, something shakes loose in the meantime in terms of the government's increased talk about being willing to help private hospital companies import their own vaccines from abroad and then sell them to willing customers here.  Thus far, though, that's just been talk, but at least, they're talking more about that lately.

1 hour ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Anybody who knows the Thai karaoke/pretty scene will know that girls travel all round the country drinking and socializing sharing drinks and other activities.

What could possibly go wrong?

Somewhat to my surprise, I looked and had a relatively hard time finding a clear answer re whether sharing drinks (as opposed to respiratory exposure) is a considered means of spreading the coronavirus.

The U.S. CDC, for example, talks about there being a very low risk of catching the virus from prepared or delivered food, and says CV hasn't been found in water.

"The risk of getting COVID-19 from food you cook yourself or from handling and consuming food from restaurants and takeout or drive-thru meals is thought to be very low. Currently, there is no evidence that food is associated with spreading the virus that causes COVID-19."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/food-and-COVID-19.html

However, the CDC advice there doesn't specifically deal with sharing alcoholic beverage drinks. And other sources talk about saliva spreading other kinds of germs and viruses, but not specifically CV, at least from the ones I saw.

However, a pair of Thai academics do seem to have chimed in (and against) the specific issue of sharing alcoholic beverages as being a risk for CV exposure, as follows:

Sharing Alcoholic Drinks and a COVID-19 Outbreak

Rujittika Mungmungpuntipantip, Viroj Wiwanitkit -- July 2020

"In Thailand, we have witnessed the incorrect belief that drinking alcohol can prevent COVID-19. We made the following observation from a group of COVID patients in Thailand (six females and five males, aged 25–28 years old). These patients had joined the same farewell party and drank alcoholic beverage by using the same glass. The cluster of outbreak among these patients occurred within 1 week after the farewell party. The disease investigation showed that there were four other persons joining that party but who did not drink. Those four persons did not develop illness. "

https://academic.oup.com/alcalc/article/55/4/343/5825778

Suffice to say, if you're sitting close to someone who's infected with coronavirus for a long period talking and drinking together and not wearing masks, you're probably running a pretty high risk of exposure, one way or the other.

PS - As a farang, I don't get the drinking from the same glass thing. But then again, I also don't really get the eating my dinner from shared plates and with sometimes shared utensils either.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Echoing the related reports above, the BKK Post is reporting that the government is willing to allow private hospitals to buy up to 10 million doses of CV vaccines.

That is Thailand's current projected shortfall, comparing the 70 million doses the country expects to have by year-end (most of them from the yet to become available locally produced AstraZeneca vaccines) vs. the estimated 80 million minimum doses needed (enough to give the two required shots to each of 40 million Thais).

Cannot link to the BKK Post, per forum rules.

So this means that there is a quota of 10 million doses for ALL private hospitals combined in order to protect the local AstraZeneca production? Ummmm. 

It is entirely conceivable that the local vaccine production could come to nothing. A production run could have a QC issue that could seriously impede production at this new facility. Other delays could also materialize. Finally, if the AstaZeneca vaccine is determined to have serious safety issues, AstraZeneca itself could halt production in order to avoid putting itself in peril.

I think they need to get as many doses as they can from wherever they can as soon as possible. This would be of any vaccine of established quality. Otherwise they are really playing with fire. It is getting to the point that they are nearing a crisis. If anything will sink the current establishment, the social and economic consequences of a potential epidemic will. Already there seems to be a feeling of panic setting in.

• Like 1

Come on Mr PM, just over a week ago you said you have Covid under control,.... I think its time you did get it under control, and get mass vaccination started, the Country has vacciated less than.    1 million people,...... its pathetic 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Come on Mr PM, just over a week ago you said you have Covid under control,.... I think its time you did get it under control, and get mass vaccination started, the Country has vacciated less than.    1 million people,...... its pathetic 

Too focused on the foreigner quarantine scam. In the meanwhile no vaccine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As a farang, I don't get the drinking from the same glass thing. But then again, I also don't really get the eating my dinner from shared plates and with sometimes shared utensils either.

I was in a pub in Phuket town the other week 3 of them drinking out of the same glass, they only had the one drink they where from BKK I could hear them talking about getting their flight back home