Retirement visa: renewing from your home country every year rather than in Thailand

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

When applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa at the Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country you need to provide evidence of having subscribed to a health-insurance policy that meets the 400K/40K in/out-patient requirement.  Both foreign and Thai insurance are accepted, but for foreign insurance your insurer needs to fill-in/sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate (which might prove difficult as it refers to Thai legislation and most insurers will be reluctant signing such document as they are not familiar with such legislation).  But in that case you can make use - when under 75 years of age - of the Thai IO-approved LMG Insurance Plan-1 policy with 200K deductible, which meets the 400K/40K health-insurance requirements and annual premium is only 6.000 THB to 11.400 THB in the age categories of 51 to 75 years of age.

Currently to enter Thailand you also need a 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment insurance.  When your current foreign/international insurance does not meet that covid-19 requirement, you could consider subscribing to AXA Sawasdee travel-insurance which not only provides decent travel-insurance (covering accidents/illnesses you might encounter while in Thailand), but ALSO meets both insurance requirements.  A 3-month coverage period would cost approx 7.000 THB, but when entering on a Non Imm O-A Visa you would need a full year coverage, as the covid-19 insurance has to cover the full length of the permission to stay you would receive on entering Thailand.

After having used the almost 2 years of Immigration hassle-free stay that a Non Imm O-A Visa can provide you, and deciding not to exit Thailand (and apply for a new Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country) you can apply for the 1-year extension of that Non Imm O-A Visa at your local Imm Office.  Doing so and when applying for reason of RETIREMENT, you will be required to show evidence of a THAI insurance policy meeting the 400K/40K health-insurance requirement (you can use the LMG Insurance Plan-1 policy to meet that requirement)

When applying for any other reason than retirement (e.g. marriage or dependant children or other) there is no need for any insurance for that 1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa.

Is it still  just a tick box insurance to get the VISA? (TGIA)

If it still has the T&C clause about being in Thailand for six months out of the last 12, and if you are there 6 months and back home for 6 months, by default does that not assure you of having no cover (if they check)? 

8 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

Is it still  just a tick box insurance to get the VISA? (TGIA)

If it still has the T&C clause about being in Thailand for six months out of the last 12, and if you are there 6 months and back home for 6 months, by default does that not assure you of having no cover (if they check)?

Which of the two insurance requirements are you referring to?

> The LMG Insurance Plan-1 policy (with 200K deductible) that meets the 400K/40K health-insurance requirement, is indeed nothing more than a paper that allows you to meet the Non Imm O-A Visa application and extension criteria.

> The AXA Sawasdee travel-insurance does provide decent coverage for any accident/illness you might encounter while in Thailand. 

The main benefit from subscribing to that insurance is that it meets BOTH Non Imm O-A insurance requirements for entering Thailand.

But indeed you should check when subscribing to it whether that 6 month clause would be applicable for that policy.

If it is, and you are looking for actual coverage you should contact a Thai insurance broker (like AA Insure) which can help you with subscribing to a policy (Thai or foreign/international) that will meet your actual insurance needs.  In most cases an international insurance policy will provide (far) better value than their Thai counter-parts.  The advantage of using a broker is of course that he/she will be familiar with the situation in Thailand, and will also help/represent you in case you need to make a claim, an invaluable benefit in the dog-eat-dog insurance world.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Which of the two insurance requirements are you referring to?

> The LMG Insurance Plan-1 policy (with 200K deductible) that meets the 400K/40K health-insurance requirement, is indeed nothing more than a paper that allows you to meet the Non Imm O-A Visa application and extension criteria.

> The AXA Sawasdee travel-insurance does provide decent coverage for any accident/illness you might encounter while in Thailand. 

The main benefit from subscribing to that insurance is that it meets BOTH Non Imm O-A insurance requirements for entering Thailand.

But indeed you should check when subscribing to it whether that 6 month clause would be applicable for that policy.

If it is, and you are looking for actual coverage you should contact a Thai insurance broker (like AA Insure) which can help you with subscribing to a policy (Thai or foreign/international) that will meet your actual insurance needs.  In most cases an international insurance policy will provide (far) better value than their Thai counter-parts.  The advantage of using a broker is of course that he/she will be familiar with the situation in Thailand, and will also help/represent you in case you need to make a claim, an invaluable benefit in the dog-eat-dog insurance world.

This one peter?

https://www.aainsure.net/

4 hours ago, gt162 said:

This one peter?

https://www.aainsure.net/

Yes, I attach below already here the Addendum-2 to the full Guideline document I did sent you PM, as it might be useful for other TVF-members too.

= = = = =

AA Insurance Brokers are a reliable Thailand-based insurance-broker that can help you with your insurance needs. And even more important, a broker will represent you in case you need to file a claim, and that fact alone would already be a reason to make use of an insurance-broker instead of having to do this yourself.

> https://www.aainsure.net

Send your request to Jenny > [email protected]

She is highly recommended by the main TVF poster on Medical/Insurance matters. Other people in the AA Insurance Brokers office are also fluent in English like Jenny, but she appears to be the Top Dog in insurance matters.

It is recommended to proceed as follows:

> Send her an e-mail with the following details:

·       Your age and nationality < also add a copy of the ID-page of your passport >

·       Your current situation > married or single, address where you are living or intend to stay, the Visa on which you are or will be staying while in Thailand (e.g. a Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement)

·       Your insurance needs.

Some aspects to consider when outlining those insurance needs:

·       Wanting decent health-insurance that would allow you to be covered for treatment by ANY Thai hospital (government or private)

·       The deductible you are willing to finance yourself for any treatment received (obviously in function of the decrease in premium such deductible would provide)

·       Whether you intent to make trips to your home-country or neighboring countries to Thailand, in such case there could be a need for international coverage and not just coverage in Thailand

·       Any pre-existing conditions (healthy, not obese, quit smoking/drinking years ago)

·       Any other info of possible relevance.

Most probably, Jenny will then contact you requesting some additional info which I did not think about. And subsequently provide you with one or more quotes with fitting health-insurance that meet your needs.

You can then compare with the quotes you might have already got and decide how you want to proceed.

• Like 2

Hi everyone thanks for your replies. Yes I am trying to avoid the extension of stay as don’t want to keep money in a Thai bank account and have to renew the extension of stay at a Thai immigration.

just though I could get the retirement visa in Australia ( only need to show Australian bank statements ), then go to Thailand for 6months ( obviously 90 day reporting ), then return to Australia to work for 6 months , by that time,I would need  to submit a brand new application in Australia  for retirement before going back to Thailand 

basically I am always applying for a NEW retirement visa application every year in Australia and don’t have to deal with Thai immigration such as you would if you were applying for an extension. Probably more expensive , but less hassle and no requirement to show money in a Thai bank account.

Edited by darrenr

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

With correct timing you could apply for a OA visa at the Thai embassy the official consulate in Australia and get two 6 month trips to Thailand  from it. For 2nd year you would need to get a re-entry permit at immigration to enter the country to keep the first year the visa allows valid when you return after the visa expires.

See this on Sydney consulate website. https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-type-o-a

Hi UJ. Is this also possible in the US?

5 minutes ago, darrenr said:

just though I could get the retirement visa in Australia ( only need to show Australian bank statements ), then go to Thailand for 6months ( obviously 90 day reporting ), then return to Australia to work for 6 months , by that time,I would need  to submit a brand new application in Australia  for retirement before going back to Thailand 

.You would not have to get a new OA visa every year if you could leave and re-enter Thailand at a border crossing to get a new one year entry and then apply for single entry re-entry permit (1000 baht) to keep the remainder of the one year valid when you return to Thailand.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Hi everyone thanks for your replies. Yes I am trying to avoid the extension of stay as don’t want to keep money in a Thai bank account and have to renew the extension of stay at a Thai immigration.

basically I am always applying for a NEW retirement visa application every year in Australia and don’t have to deal with Thai immigration such as you would if you were applying for an extension. Probably more expensive , but less hassle and no requirement to show money in a Thai bank account.

When you write 'retirement Visa' you should be more specific.  Your plan would only work when applying for the 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa at the Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country.

When applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, you would be confronted with the need to extend your permission to stay once you are in Thailand, thus having to apply for an extension at your local Imm Office and having to meet the financial requirements for such application.

Just now, darrenr said:

Question if you are coming to Thailand on a retirement visa, when you depart your home country do you have to show the airlines and/or immigration an onward ‘return ticket , or is a one way ticket alright ?

A one way ticket is all you need if you have valid visa (or re-entry permit) for entry to Thailand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, darrenr said:

Question if you are coming to Thailand on a retirement visa, when you depart your home country do you have to show the airlines and/or immigration an onward ‘return ticket , or is a one way ticket alright ?

No need for an outward bound ticket when entering Thailand on a Non Imm O or O-A Visa.

19 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

No need for an outward bound ticket when entering Thailand on a Non Imm O or O-A Visa.

But, does the Consulate in LA require it? I seem to remember when I got mine I had to show return ticket?

I never planned on using an agent, had the OA visa as my plan till Covid hit. But I must say an agent certainly is an easy fix. By the time I figure in hotel room in Hollywood, gas, time, misc. expenses as I don't like the mail method. But with covid the office may be closed for walk ins.

Edited by EVENKEEL

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

But, does the Consulate in LA require it? I seem to remember when I got mine I had to show return ticket?

No, for a Non Imm O or O-A Visa application you only have to show

> Flight confirmation / reservation, showing going from US to Thailand.
     (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly.)

A return-ticket is not required when entering Thailand on a Non Imm O or O-A Visa.

Such return-ticket is required when planning to enter Thailand on a Tourist Visa (or Visa Exempt).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

For a Non O visa, the LA consulate might require it. There is no reason it would be a requirement for a Non O-A (long stay) visa.

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

For a Non O visa, the LA consulate might require it. There is no reason it would be a requirement for a Non O-A (long stay) visa.

According to the published regulations < https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/non-o/ >proof of a confirmed return-flight is NOT required for a Non Imm O Visa application.

But there is of course the 'catch-all' note at the bottom:

Please note : 
Consular officers reserve the right to request additional documents
as deemed necessary and also reserve the right to reject any application
without having to provide reason. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

No, for a Non Imm O or O-A Visa application you only have to show

> Flight confirmation / reservation, showing going from US to Thailand.
     (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly.)

A return-ticket is not required when entering Thailand on a Non Imm O or O-A Visa.

Such return-ticket is required when planning to enter Thailand on a Tourist Visa (or Visa Exempt).

I just went back in my sent emails and I was asked to show ticket, just so happened I was flying with a return ticket purchased Sept - 2019. Just saying this was an OA in Hollywood, Ca.

Edited by EVENKEEL

8 minutes ago, Bob4u said:

I got one last week in USA, multi entry tourist visa.

Can post an image if u need proof.

You say you did got an METV last week.

As Thai Embassies are phasing out the 'temporary' STV (valid until 30 September 2021) , it is indeed logical that you would be able to apply again for an METV.

However, it might be a bit premature to do so, because in order to make full use of the potential 9 months of stay an METV can provide you, you would have to exit/re-enter twice.

With current border restrictions and quarantaine measures that would be rather inconvenient (to use an understatement).

But it is of course possible that Thai Immigration might introduce a temporary regulation allowing you to extend your METV in country beyond the first 30-day extension.  Still I would not bet on this and would be reluctant to already apply for an METV now.

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I just went back in my sent emails and I was asked to show ticket, just so happened I was flying with a return ticket purchased Sept - 2019. Just saying this was an OA in Hollywood, Ca.

Thanks, but must be a case of Thai Consulate staff asking for 'additional documents' as the published US Thai Embassy/Consulate regulations do not require it.

OP, if you are doing a straight comparison, its worth noting that there is probably more cost and running around doing a OA in Australia, you still need a bank balance of $40k and statements etc, police check, medical certificate, health insurance etc.

Its still a couple of days running around and not much change from $500-$600 (plus health insurance).

Its a few years since i have done an OA in Australia, but back then I didn't get any change back from $1,000 . (back then you also had to get documents legally certified and bound etc, looked like the Magna Carta, I think that's no longer a requirement)

Its not less running around, its running around to 3-4 different places, (In Thailand its one 15 min bank visit and 1-2 immigration visits)

Also, you will essentially be paying for 12 months health insurance each year for 6 months coverage.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob4u said:

Multiple Entry Tourist Visa - 7 days Quarantined on COE 

IMG_7153.jpg

What use is a ME visa at the moment, its not like you can do a border run. And if you did leave to a neighbouring country, its all the covid requirements, vaccination, CoE, Quarantine etc, from a country you are not a resident of. 

2 minutes ago, Bob4u said:

Things may change in 90 days.

Be positive and good things happen.

Now that's the glass half full attitude we are looking for.

10 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

What use is a ME visa at the moment, its not like you can do a border run. And if you did leave to a neighbouring country, its all the covid requirements, vaccination, CoE, Quarantine etc, from a country you are not a resident of. 

Perhaps they should change the designation to the MQV (Multi Quarantine Visa)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Bob4u said:

IMG_7153.jpg

I just noticed, although its a ME visa, it only valid for 6 months, at best you could only get a 2nd entry. Isn't 12 months the usual validity for ME ?

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I just noticed, although its a ME visa, it only valid for 6 months, at best you could only get a 2nd entry. Isn't 12 months the usual validity for ME ?

No, the METV validity is 6 months.

However, by exiting and re-entering Thailand just before Visa expiry you would get another 60 days Permission to stay, which can be extended for 30 days.

So an METV can provide you with a maximum of 9 months stay in Thailand.  But as mentioned earlier you would need to exit/re-enter Thailand twice to get hold of those 9 months.  And with current border restrictions and quarantaine measures that's not very convenient.  But of course if such border restrictions are lifted 3 months after OP enters Thailand, he could make use of that opportunity. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bob4u said:

IMG_7153.jpg

I think in your case they made an error.

It clearly states on the website, single entry TV only.

You have two chances that borders will re-open in order for you to make use of that Visa, Bob Hope and No Hope. If you intend to stay longer than 90 days you would have been better with the STV.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Haha 1