Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Quite why any one would choose to be a citizen of a country with Thailand's politics is beyond me!

Frankly, you could say that about almost any country in the world

That's true to a certain extent, although I can understand people from undemocratic countries pursuing US or European citizenship. It just strikes me as strange that people are pursuing citizenship of a country in the current repressive mess that Thailand is. I do accept however that the climate was different when the OP commenced his application.

Quite why any one would choose to be a citizen of a country with Thailand's politics is beyond me!

That's true to a certain extent, although I can understand people from undemocratic countries pursuing US or European citizenship. It just strikes me as strange that people are pursuing citizenship of a country in the current repressive mess that Thailand is. I do accept however that the climate was different when the OP commenced his application.
When naturalising as a Thai citizen, you get to keep your existing nationality so there is no downside. Thai nationality makes life here much easier. The bureaucracy becomes so much easier to deal with.

People who think that Thailand is a repressive mess, like yourself, and even naturalised Thais, have no obligation whatsoever to remain here. We have as much right as you to leave on the next flight out.

Edited by dbrenn

When naturalising as a Thai citizen, you get to keep your existing nationality so there is no downside. Thai nationality makes life here much easier. The bureaucracy becomes so much easier to deal with.

People who think that Thailand is a repressive mess, like yourself, and even naturalised Thais, have no obligation whatsoever to remain here. We have as much right as you to leave on the next flight out.

I'm glad you won't be stuck here either!

So I have a few questions, seeing as i'm married with a Thai and have a child that is half thai half Swedish, (so far we just married in Sweden but i will registrate it soon in Bangkok), This would grant me permission to apply for citizenship after 1 year. However, Seeing as im just 23 I just get 2 points from the age part and I can only get up to about 35 points, Unless I get a wellpaid work, which brings me to another problem, showing tax income for 3 years, Lets say I would have 10.000.000baht in my bankaccount, would I still need to have a work to qualify? Or is there any other way around this problem?

How come I can apply after 1 year if have thai wife and child but need to show tax/income for 3 years before?

I know its quite a process but seeing my age is quite low I would consider it my mission to obtain Thai citizenship before i'm 30,

Another problem is that we are currently and probably not gonna move away from this Island we live on (Koh Lanta), as my wife mother has a restaurant here and she loves her mother,

Is there a special branch in Krabi to get in touch with these questions? I spoke abit with Pol sgt, at immigration but he just told me to keep getting marriage visa, and I said I don't like to see myself doing 90day reports and all other paperwork for 50 more years atleast.

And also I see it as a benefit to get a thai citizenship and somehow it makes me feel like one of them.

Thank you for any answer pointing me in the right direction.

So seeing is a new year now I wish everybody a happy new year, and hopefully a few points in the right direction.

So I have a few questions, seeing as i'm married with a Thai and have a child that is half thai half Swedish, (so far we just married in Sweden but i will registrate it soon in Bangkok), This would grant me permission to apply for citizenship after 1 year. However, Seeing as im just 23 I just get 2 points from the age part and I can only get up to about 35 points, Unless I get a wellpaid work, which brings me to another problem, showing tax income for 3 years, Lets say I would have 10.000.000baht in my bankaccount, would I still need to have a work to qualify? Or is there any other way around this problem?

How come I can apply after 1 year if have thai wife and child but need to show tax/income for 3 years before?

I know its quite a process but seeing my age is quite low I would consider it my mission to obtain Thai citizenship before i'm 30,

Another problem is that we are currently and probably not gonna move away from this Island we live on (Koh Lanta), as my wife mother has a restaurant here and she loves her mother,

Is there a special branch in Krabi to get in touch with these questions? I spoke abit with Pol sgt, at immigration but he just told me to keep getting marriage visa, and I said I don't like to see myself doing 90day reports and all other paperwork for 50 more years atleast.

And also I see it as a benefit to get a thai citizenship and somehow it makes me feel like one of them.

Thank you for any answer pointing me in the right direction.

So seeing is a new year now I wish everybody a happy new year, and hopefully a few points in the right direction.

Well the original requirement (before 2009) was that you had to have permanent residency (PR) for five years before you could qualify, so the current state of affairs is a whole lot better than that.

You need to show three years of tax, and they like you to have been in the same job for three years (I was told to come back in two months when I went to inquire after working in the same place for 2 years and 10 months).

Find yourself a job paying a decent salary and knuckle down, if this is something you really want to pursue. Otherwise, do what countless others do and get the yearly visas with 90-day reporting. Another benefit of this would be that having a decent salary will add more points to the 35 you reckon you already have (if it's any consolation, I was told that I scraped by on 54 points).

I know as someone aged 23 you don't want to be told to work for several years and stick at it - but if you set yourself a realistic target (and this is realistically feasible if you are determined enough), it might help motivate you to work hard.

Best of luck, in whatever you choose to do.

I have a diffculty to do same thing over and over, but, lets say if you would have a large sum invested or in a thaibank would you still require work to qualify?

And seeing as we are staying on a small island work is quite hard to come by and if it is any work its really not good paid, so main choice would be to go to Bangkok and get a job but then I would never see my wife and baby,

Would it be possible lets say my mother in law has a pretty good restaurant business, if she hired me as something and paid tax for me above 45000thb would this work? or would they look into it and visit and see that I actually dont do anything at all in the restaurant?

I have a diffculty to do same thing over and over, but, lets say if you would have a large sum invested or in a thaibank would you still require work to qualify?

And seeing as we are staying on a small island work is quite hard to come by and if it is any work its really not good paid, so main choice would be to go to Bangkok and get a job but then I would never see my wife and baby,

Would it be possible lets say my mother in law has a pretty good restaurant business, if she hired me as something and paid tax for me above 45000thb would this work? or would they look into it and visit and see that I actually dont do anything at all in the restaurant?

First of all, you have already seen the official requirements. Secondly, you are discussing this in a public forum. Thirdly, nobody here is going to be inclined to help you 'get around' the rules. These are the same rules that we are all operating under.

Personally, I've been here twelve years now, and only this year did I qualify to apply. I suggest you try to qualify by yourself, and stop trying to work your way around the system. If you can't (or won't) try to qualify within the rules, I would suggest that you set yourself an easier goal to work towards.

Remember that for a large number of foreigners living in Thailand, citizenship is something they could only dream of achieving. It's famously difficult to get, and takes a long time for those who are successful.

Didn't mean to step on any toes,

I know it's famously hard what I want to know is has thai citizenship just been achieved to high earning westerners who reside in or around bangkok?

I mean i live on a small island 3 hours from krabi town, spoke with immigration pol sgt and he didn't know where I would go to get more information or even apply or have a discussion that's why im wondering do i go through immigration or is it a police special branch?

Or is my only chance to obtain a thai citizenship to move to Bangkok and work there?

Thank you.

Didn't mean to step on any toes,

I know it's famously hard what I want to know is has thai citizenship just been achieved to high earning westerners who reside in or around bangkok?

I mean i live on a small island 3 hours from krabi town, spoke with immigration pol sgt and he didn't know where I would go to get more information or even apply or have a discussion that's why im wondering do i go through immigration or is it a police special branch?

Or is my only chance to obtain a thai citizenship to move to Bangkok and work there?

Thank you.

Working in Bangkok isn't the most important thing. Having a house-registration in Bangkok is, as that allows you to use the services of the Police HQ Special Branch.

• Like 1

Having a large sum of money invested in Thailand or deposited in a Thai bank will not qualify you for citizenship, unless you have invested money in a business and legitimately work in it yourself with a WP. The Act requires that you are in employment in Thailand. So there is no getting around it.

If you pretend to be working in someone's business, you are going to need a WP for 3 years before you can qualify. The Labour Minstry will require quite burdensome documentation from that business, including tax receipts showing a decent profit. The business will also need to justify why it needs to hire a foreigner and you will need to show appropriate qualifications for that job. I guess the plan would be shot down by the Labour Ministry long before you ever got ready to apply for citizenship. However, they will indeed check, if there is any suspicion about any of the circumstances you have declared in your application. The National Intelligence Agency is involved in the vetting process and has often visited applicants' homes or work places without notice.

Another problem involved with living on an island is that you would have to apply to a provincial Special Branch office and many of them refuse to process applications because they have no idea how to do it and it is too much trouble to figure it all out for one applicant. Surat in the past has been known to refuse applications but may have improved by now. Many people living in the provinces opt to get a tabian baan in Bangkok to get around this obstacle. If you are serious about applying for citizenship,. I would suggest you find a job in Bangkok and get on a tabian baan there. But remember that you have to keep the job for the whole time your application is being processed. Your application will be cancelled, if they find out you are no longer working or no longer earning B40k a month or more. This is most likely to happen when you go for interview at the MoI and are asked to show WP etc.

Applying for Thai citizenship is a serious undertaking lasting several years and half-hearted or half-baked applications are unlikely to last the course.

• Like 2

Yup - finished application May 2010 - still in the process - not long now I think

My application was all submitted following the interview at Special Branch two weeks ago. I've been to register a Thai name (which I think I don't have to use), which got me a Citizen's ID number. I have an appointment with my embassy to get the document from them to say they have seen my application, in two more weeks from today.

Still got a long way to go!

Yup - finished application May 2010 - still in the process - not long now I think

My application was all submitted following the interview at Special Branch two weeks ago. I've been to register a Thai name (which I think I don't have to use), which got me a Citizen's ID number. I have an appointment with my embassy to get the document from them to say they have seen my application, in two more weeks from today.

But it is well worth the effort. Things should also be quicker for you as the whole process seems to be much more transparent and there are fixed time frames for certain parts of it.

• Like 1

But it is well worth the effort. Things should also be quicker for you as the whole process seems to be much more transparent and there are fixed time frames for certain parts of it.

Yeah, I remember reading back a few years ago when people were saying they applied and heard nothing more for years. Same with PR - for a few years after 2006 they just stopped processing the backlog.

Now it seems that people are getting much faster turnarounds. I am looking forward to hearing when my application moves to the next step - I don't even know what the next thing I have to do is! I have submitted everything to Special Branch and had the interview there, so it's in the hands of the government officials. Do I have an interview with them at some point?

Yeah, I remember reading back a few years ago when people were saying they applied and heard nothing more for years. Same with PR - for a few years after 2006 they just stopped processing the backlog.

Now it seems that people are getting much faster turnarounds. I am looking forward to hearing when my application moves to the next step - I don't even know what the next thing I have to do is! I have submitted everything to Special Branch and had the interview there, so it's in the hands of the government officials. Do I have an interview with them at some point?

If everything is in order, the next step for you will be an interview with officers of the National Intelligence Agency. Once that hurdle is cleared, it will be passed to the relevant MOI department. I think that will be out at BORA in Lamlukka and the actual department is กลุ่มงานมาตรฐานและระเบียบการทะเบียนราษฎร, if I recall correctly. It all sounds like a quick process but up until recently this all took many years for most people. I don't know how long it will take for you but keep in mind the new consideration timescale in a previous post and copied below. It may have been slightly updated since I last posted it. I'll try and find the latest one but for the life of me I can't remember where I found this one.

post-19515-0-20603400-1452046648_thumb.p

I have managed to locate the latest version of the flow chart posted below. It can be found at the BORA website.

Thanks! This is really useful, although I question some of their choices of colour on the flowchart :)

Does anyone have a link to/list of (in English) of the documents that need to be submitted and what verification/proof of those documents needs to be applied to them before submission ?

For example, for "Documents showing income tax paid over the past three years" I assume copies of annual tax returns but do these copies need to be certified with the Revenue Office ?

Thanks.

Does anyone have a link to/list of (in English) of the documents that need to be submitted and what verification/proof of those documents needs to be applied to them before submission ?

For example, for "Documents showing income tax paid over the past three years" I assume copies of annual tax returns but do these copies need to be certified with the Revenue Office ?

Thanks.

The definitive list of all required documents is on the Special Branch website, and is in Thai.

However, I made a list in English for my own reference:

1. Alien Registration

2. Residence Permit
3. Work Permit 2 copies
4. 12 Photos 2"x2" wearing a suit and tie, also 3 photos of wifey
5. Tabien Baan, me + wifey 5 copies
6. Marriage certificate 2 copies
7. Bank Statement showing at least 80,000 THB
8. Charity donations showing 5,000 THB
9. Tax documents for 3 years
10. Company documents from my employer
11. Company registration for companies in which I hold shares
12. Tax records of companies of which I am a director
13. Wifey's ID card 2 copies
14. Education certificates
15. 2 copies each of ID cards of two people who will vouch for me
16. Certificate showing I am an adult in my own country
17. Certificate of my intention to renounce my current nationality
18. Passport 2 copies

Obviously, if you don't have PR already then you don't have 1 and 2. If you are claiming a certain level of education, then you will need 14.

Note that the 2 people mentioned in 15 will later have to fill out forms with lots of personal details (like salary, etc.). Just so you know :)

They will need to see ALL original documents, but are happy to keep copies (i.e. you can keep the originals) once they have seen the originals. Note that the tax documents do need to be the originals, certified by the revenue department.

I also supplied them with a document I had previously obtained from my 'home' police, saying that they had no record of me in their system. They had not requested this, and they seemed happy that I had provided it. They did keep it.

For 10, they do like you to have worked for the same employer for three years. I was told to come back after the three years, when I asked them two months before I had reached three years.

You do NOT NEED 16 and 17 - they will provide you with a document to take to your home embassy for that purpose.

You must have 5 (your own Tabian Baan) - if you have PR then the regular one, otherwise the yellow one for foreigners. If you don't have that yet then get it now. They will not proceed without it.

You do NOT NEED 1, 2, 11, 12 or 14 if you do not have them. If you do have them, they will want to see them.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Thanks.

Relevant documents can be found in post # 1336 by Arkady. Below's the content.

Also see attached my translations of pertinent documents (except Nationality Act not my translation).
Attached File Guidelines for Application for Naturalization 14 Oct 2009 EN.doc 33.5KB 41 downloads
Attached File Documents required 2009 (2).doc 25KB 36 downloads
Attached File Points Allocation 2010 2 EN.doc 29.5KB 33 downloads
Attached File Nationality_Act_Eng_amended_until_2008.pdf 117.05KB 36 downloads
Edited by aidenai

Hi Guys,

In recently approved batch of males getting thai citizenship, my uncle also got approved and already got his ID card now. He has 4 minor children (foreign citizenship) . Today we contacted the SB branch and inquired about the kids getting citizenship based on Thai father, we got the reply that there is no ways for the foreign minor kids to get naturalized based on thai father. They have to qualify on their own after reaching majority age, i.e. normal criteria for people having relationship with thai person i.e. 40,000/month salary etc. and all other requirements. I find it hard to believe. Anybody (Arkady etc,) got any info about whether this information is correct or we got the wrong reply from some SB official who hasn't got a clue?

I just renewed my Thai passport - astoundingly good service from the passport office at Srinakharin Road:

1) Arrived around 10:30 am, took a queue number. No need to make photocopies of anything as is the norm in most government offices. All I needed was my Thai ID card and old passport

2) Filled in the application form, while waiting 5 minutes for my number to be called

3) Had height measured, then my photo taken and fingerprints scanned by a very cheerful lady

4) Queued 5 minutes to pay

5) Paid 1,000 Baht, plus 40 Baht to have it sent to me by EMS

6) Total time taken - 15 MINUTES

7) Received my new passport four days later

Hats off to the passport office for their fantastic and cheap service!

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 1

I just renewed my Thai passport - astoundingly good service from the passport office at Srinakharin Road:

1) Arrived around 10:30 am, took a queue number. No need to make photocopies of anything as is the norm in most government offices. All I needed was my Thai ID card and old passport

2) Filled in the application form, while waiting 5 minutes for my number to be called

3) Had height measured, then my photo taken and fingerprints scanned by a very cheerful lady

Very impressive indeed. Can't beat New Zealand though. All done thru the internet including submit photo etc.

New pasport arrives in about10 days via courier.

Very impressive indeed. Can't beat New Zealand though. All done thru the internet including submit photo etc.

New pasport arrives in about10 days via courier.

Very good service from the Kiwis indeed, but a NZ passport costs NZ$ 180, or NZ$ 360 for the 3 working day service ... contrast that with the NZ$ 45 that I spent.

I still say that the Thai passport office is outstanding by normal Thai bureaucratic standards smile.png

Much easier to open new accounts, as banks are not used to account holders changing nationality. As it is so rare, they don't have a procedure. New account opening with nothing but ID card in 10 minutes flat, just for any other Thai. So I wouldn't exactly call it discrimination.

I'd also not think of this as discrimination. There is likely no procedure to convert nationality of a bank account, or if there is one it is not understood by the bank branch staff.

Maybe more a dead weight bureaucracy at SCB where management doesn't provide a way for staff to solve any problem easily using common sense. KBANK is moving to the paperless bank concept and didn't ask for any documents at all to change the nationality of my account. The girl just popped my ID card into an electronic card reader keyed some items into the computer and 3 minutes later showed me that my account had been changed over to my ID card number. Way to go.

SCB promised to call me back after the New Year once they had figured out a solution that didn't involve closing the account and opening a new one, involving changing the direct debit instruction of my SCB credit card. So far stoney silence. Pathetic.

y

Hi Guys,

In recently approved batch of males getting thai citizenship, my uncle also got approved and already got his ID card now. He has 4 minor children (foreign citizenship) . Today we contacted the SB branch and inquired about the kids getting citizenship based on Thai father, we got the reply that there is no ways for the foreign minor kids to get naturalized based on thai father. They have to qualify on their own after reaching majority age, i.e. normal criteria for people having relationship with thai person i.e. 40,000/month salary etc. and all other requirements. I find it hard to believe. Anybody (Arkady etc,) got any info about whether this information is correct or we got the wrong reply from some SB official who hasn't got a clue?

Unfortunately, the Nationality Act only provides a route for parents to apply at the same time as their parents and they get exemption from the requirements to have an occupation in Thailand and to have knowledge of the Thai language. Once the parents have already gone through the process, their children have no further fast track available. The Act only recognises children with Thai parents as Thai, if they were already Thai or both were permanent residents at the time of their birth. So, sad to say, SB is correct. The kids have missed the window to coat tail on their father's application and can now only qualify in their own right. They will get some small advantage, in needing a lower salary to qualify (40k I think) on the basis of having graduated from a Thai school or college (if they do) and possibly as a result of having a Thai parent, if they don't do high school or college in Thailand, It is a pity nobody suggested to your uncle that he should include his children with his own application, or they would be also be Thai by now.