Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

52 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

Doesn’t it grind ur gears.... property agent asked me to bring my passport to land department ( buying a property ) even though she knew I had a Thai ID. Just can’t remove the villager out of some people

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

not surprising, Pruksa tried to sell me a house even though I do not have Thai citizenship yet. Most Thais are clueless about their laws.

On 6/21/2019 at 6:38 PM, skippybangkok said:

Doesn’t it grind ur gears.... property agent asked me to bring my passport to land department ( buying a property ) even though she knew I had a Thai ID. Just can’t remove the villager out of some people

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

When we applied for a home loan, UOB asked my (naturalised Thai) wife for her work permit. You can’t make this stuff up. 

Ps. I hope you took the bumpkin your Thai passport. 

Edited by samran

When we applied for a home loan, UOB asked my (naturalised Thai) wife for her work permit. You can’t make this stuff up. 

Ps. I hope you took the bumpkin your Thai passport. 

Nah, asked the real estate agent and the seller to also bring their passport too - they were somewhat miffed

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

I am getting my documents together and have a question about the letter from the bank:

1.) Does it have to be in a certain format? Technically, I could just print out the statement as it shows how much money is in the account but I don't know whether they'll accept that.

2.) Does it have to be a savings account or can I show my LTF?

3.) I use BBL. If I have to get an actual letter, can I go to any branch or does it have to be the branch where I have the account?

Thanks in advance to the experts. 

1 hour ago, onthemoon said:

I am getting my documents together and have a question about the letter from the bank:

1.) Does it have to be in a certain format? Technically, I could just print out the statement as it shows how much money is in the account but I don't know whether they'll accept that.

3.) I use BBL. If I have to get an actual letter, can I go to any branch or does it have to be the branch where I have the account?

I'm not certain if there are specific requirements, but I will tell you what I did that worked:

1. Get a letter that certifies the balance in your bank account.  I actually brought them a statement and they didn't care about it.  The official letter the bank will give you for immigration is exactly the same thing.  I don't believe that they will allow you to put a special name in the TO: area of the letter, but in my case SB didn't care

2. Not sure, I only gave them details about my savings account

3. Finally BBL changed their policy and for the past 3 years you can get a letter certifying your ownership of an account and the balance at ANY Bangkok Bank branch.

58 minutes ago, khongaeng said:

I'm not certain if there are specific requirements, but I will tell you what I did that worked:

1. Get a letter that certifies the balance in your bank account.  I actually brought them a statement and they didn't care about it.  The official letter the bank will give you for immigration is exactly the same thing.  I don't believe that they will allow you to put a special name in the TO: area of the letter, but in my case SB didn't care

2. Not sure, I only gave them details about my savings account

3. Finally BBL changed their policy and for the past 3 years you can get a letter certifying your ownership of an account and the balance at ANY Bangkok Bank branch.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm just afraid my little BBL branch over here doesn't know what letter to write, but they might have their internal standard certification letter. Since you say SB accepted it, I'll try that first.

3 hours ago, onthemoon said:

SB branch gave me a format to bring to the bank

17 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Oh, that makes it easier. So I go to SB with an incomplete set of documents, right?

Basically yes i am sure they will always find something missing no big deal.  They let me bring the bank statement when i had to do my name and embassy stuff

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 7:48 AM, khongaeng said:

.  I don't believe that they will allow you to put a special name in the TO: area of the letter, but in my case SB didn't care

If you search, Arkady gave the name that the letter should be addressed to. I forget what it was.

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

If you search, Arkady gave the name that the letter should be addressed to. I forget what it was.

My advice to new applicants: since a part of what's requested will depend on the officer who's assigned to your case, do nothing, just go with the standard documents (PR, WP, Tabian Baan, mariage cert...) to SB and let that person pass you the complete list of requirements at stage 1 (bank letter could be stage 2 in a way 'cos you'll have several visits to SB). Remember: some people in this forum came with nothing and could get their SB meeting scheduled in just few weeks. In my case, I prepared everything (including the bank statement following what Arkady mentioned) and... I was requested some other stuff or changes (each case is different) later. Believe it or not but I had all documents almost ready day one and it took 4.5 months to schedule my SB interview. My assumption is then that they prefer you let them do their job -which is understandable- rather than come in as Mister-who-knows-everything, and perhaps that's a reason why they removed the application documents that were once available for download on SB Website. 

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey

On 7/5/2019 at 11:06 AM, yankee99 said:

Basically yes i am sure they will always find something missing no big deal.  They let me bring the bank statement when i had to do my name and embassy stuff

Getting the bank statement and letter is one of the easiest things to get.  If you live outside Bangkok, you want to limit the trips to SB.

Edited by Neeranam

On 7/5/2019 at 6:35 AM, onthemoon said:

1. I got from two different banks (SCB and BBL) to be sure (transferred some money temporarily to another account as wanted to save an extra trip to SB). BBL were inflexible with changing who to address the form letter to whereas SCB addressed per my request. It was the standard letter that they issue for immigration. In the end, SB just took the letter from SCB.

From my notes (from Arkday?)I asked SCB to add "subject" and "to" fields as follows:

เรึ่อง รับรองเงินฟากในบัญชี

เรีอน ผกก. ฝ่ายกฎหมายและวินัย บก. อก. บช..

2. Mine was savings. I would be surprised if SB was to accept LTF as it is not really cash.

3. Unsure. Branch were I opened the account was the closest one so just went there.

I saw in an earlier post that the requirement to submit an affidavit that the applicant intends to renounce their former nationality is no longer listed on the Special Branch website. Does anyone know if that means it is officially no longer required? Also (assuming it's OK to ask) was anyone here who has acquired Thai nationality actually forced to give up their former nationality?

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

4 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I saw in an earlier post that the requirement to submit an affidavit that the applicant intends to renounce their former nationality is no longer listed on the Special Branch website. Does anyone know if that means it is officially no longer required? Also (assuming it's OK to ask) was anyone here who has acquired Thai nationality actually forced to give up their former nationality?

For latest requirements, unfortunately like all other Thai government offices, it is best to go to talk to them directly, at SB.

It was definitely required when I applied 2 years ago, and one of my friends who applied before the policy came into place, but somehow his application was lost in the process and later recovered, was told that he would need to get this affidavit if he wanted to continue with his application last year.  

The wording is that you "intend" to renounce your citizenship.  Intentions change, and as of yet, no one here has reported that they were somehow forced to actually renounce their citizenship.  Some have said that once you obtain Thai citizenship, a letter is sent from SB to your embassy, but I'm not sure if that has been independently verified.  Depending on your embassy, such letter probably goes in the circular filing cabinet.  In all 327 pages, I don't recall anyone every saying that they actually gave up their previous nationality.

By the way, I posted some affidavits on October 13, 2017 that my friend used at the American Embassy.  Not sure if they will work for you, but they did for him:

Edited by khongaeng

On 7/9/2019 at 5:03 PM, khongaeng said:

For latest requirements, unfortunately like all other Thai government offices, it is best to go to talk to them directly, at SB.

It was definitely required when I applied 2 years ago, and one of my friends who applied before the policy came into place, but somehow his application was lost in the process and later recovered, was told that he would need to get this affidavit if he wanted to continue with his application last year.  

The wording is that you "intend" to renounce your citizenship.  Intentions change, and as of yet, no one here has reported that they were somehow forced to actually renounce their citizenship.  Some have said that once you obtain Thai citizenship, a letter is sent from SB to your embassy, but I'm not sure if that has been independently verified.  Depending on your embassy, such letter probably goes in the circular filing cabinet.  In all 327 pages, I don't recall anyone every saying that they actually gave up their previous nationality.

By the way, I posted some affidavits on October 13, 2017 that my friend used at the American Embassy.  Not sure if they will work for you, but they did for him:

I heard that the UK home office had talks with the SB, after the UK embassy stopped issuing the letter of intention last May, and are now doing it again.

The consul there told me that it means absolutely nothing to them and only do it to keep SB happy.

2 hours ago, danielcondo said:

Has Anyone been called for the Oath at SB during the past 2 months ? seems like things have slowed down drastically due to all the things such as the Royal coronation ceremony, Elections, new cabinet selections, holidays etc going on.

What's the normal time frame? I thought it was more than that.

I'm praying I get my MOI soon, as I'm quitting my job in 2 months. Heard nothing since March 2018, when they said my application was sent to MOI.

Dear all,

I am thinking about applying for Thai citizenship but I have several problems. I don't reach the enough points. One of the problems is that in my work I do not reach the minimum of 40,000 baht to get the minimum 15 points of salary and I don't think I can get it in the future. I am considering to open a company, with work permit for me and a salary of a minimum of 40.000 baht.

Could this be a good idea?
Could someone give me some advice please?
Thank you.

15 hours ago, Medinitas said:

Dear all,

I am thinking about applying for Thai citizenship but I have several problems. I don't reach the enough points. One of the problems is that in my work I do not reach the minimum of 40,000 baht to get the minimum 15 points of salary and I don't think I can get it in the future. I am considering to open a company, with work permit for me and a salary of a minimum of 40.000 baht.

Could this be a good idea?
Could someone give me some advice please?
Thank you.

I'd ask in another forum regarding opening a business.

My advice is to tell your employer to pay you 40k a month(surely as an expat you can't be far from that). Just explain why and offer to do extra work or some other favour for them.

Whatever, you'll have to wait 4 years before you can ago apply.

32 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My advice is to tell your employer to pay you 40k a month(surely as an expat you can't be far from that). Just explain why and offer to do extra work or some other favour for them.

I believe its 3 years of returns so if he can boost 2019 then only 2.5 years to apply if he meets the other requirements 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I would like, but It's not possible. I think about it already.