Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

13 hours ago, Arkady said:

It is one of a number of recent disappointments and irritations about Thailand.  He wants to quit working but needs to continue for citizenship. Remittance tax is the reinterpretation of the Revenue Code by Revenue Department order P 161/2566 in September 2023 which means that foreign source income earned after 1 Jan 2024 have to be taxed, if remitted to Thailand, at regular personal income tax rates.  That has caused a number of expat retirees to review whether they want to remain as That tax residents or will spend less than 180 days a year in the Kingdom and avoid that tax. 

I had another friend whose goal was to get PR and stay in Thailand.  Finally he got his PR application together with the help of a law firm but found after a few months dound that they had screwed it up and he was rejected.  He could have reapplied the following year but he was so upset that he left Thailand and got a job somewhere else. Some people can be affected like that feeling a strong sense of rejection.  However, many others of us have families here and can't easily up sticks and have to persevere. In my case I had real curved balls thrown at me while applying for both PR and citizenship but kept fighting and managed against all odds o get the applications back on track without having to reapply.  I was told I was unqualified for PR and my citizenship file was knocked back to SB from the MOI.  I think of it like a combination of an obstacle course and a war of attrition where you mustn't fall into despair during long waits with no news.

I guess some people just give up while others persevere. People are different.

• Like 1

@Marcati Congratulations, and hope all goes well with the final process. I had my NIA interview and all documents were sent to MOI in 2020, so hopefully in 2rys time I will get lucky. I am planning to retire in 2026, so it is really worrying.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 8:37 PM, saakura said:

@Marcati Congratulations, and hope all goes well with the final process. I had my NIA interview and all documents were sent to MOI in 2020, so hopefully in 2rys time I will get lucky. I am planning to retire in 2026, so it is really worrying.

I don't plan on retiring just yet, but I agree that it is frustrating.  Essentially I can't retire as long as this process is ongoing.  My file was sent to the MOI in July 2022 and I am still waiting for THE interview.  Still, I tend to put it out of my mind and every now and again I come back to check to see if there have been any developments.  Happy for @Marcati.  Congratulations.

• Love It 1

16 hours ago, onthemoon said:

My file was sent to MOI in April 2019 and received in May that year, so I am celebrating my 5-year anniversary of waiting for the interview. I plan to retire in six years, and I hope the process will be completed by then.

Of course, before I applied for citizenship, I had to have my PR for 5 years. And in order to apply for the PR, I had to be on the same work permit for 3 years. From PR application to getting it took 6 years, that's 14 years. I lapsed 1 year before applying for citizenship (lazy me!) and have now been waiting for my interview for 5 years.

So, we are talking 20 years and no end in sight. One thing you learn in Thailand is patience. 🙂

My Brother i salute your patience

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2024 at 6:23 PM, onthemoon said:

My file was sent to MOI in April 2019 and received in May that year, so I am celebrating my 5-year anniversary of waiting for the interview. I plan to retire in six years, and I hope the process will be completed by then.

Of course, before I applied for citizenship, I had to have my PR for 5 years. And in order to apply for the PR, I had to be on the same work permit for 3 years. From PR application to getting it took 6 years, that's 14 years. I lapsed 1 year before applying for citizenship (lazy me!) and have now been waiting for my interview for 5 years.

So, we are talking 20 years and no end in sight. One thing you learn in Thailand is patience. 🙂

It will be worth it when you get that blue card. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/12/2024 at 9:59 AM, onthemoon said:

Yes, I think so. Thanks.

You can divide your life into pre and post citizenship periods, and the latter is so much more convenient. Well worth any wait.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/29/2024 at 6:23 PM, onthemoon said:

I submitted by citizen application pretty much straight away after receiving PR (in December 2020)... or at least within a year- i have already had one interview at time of application, and one from Special Branch... Seems if my route is regular you can submit soon after receiving PR and then wait the 5 year of holding PR process out when its working its way through the Citizenship process, thereby cutting the time. Not sure why your PR process took so long.

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I submitted by citizen application pretty much straight away after receiving PR (in December 2020)... or at least within a year- i have already had one interview at time of application, and one from Special Branch... Seems if my route is regular you can submit soon after receiving PR and then wait the 5 year of holding PR process out when its working its way through the Citizenship process, thereby cutting the time. Not sure why your PR process took so long.

I am surprised, as I was told at the time that I have to hold PR for 5 years before applying for citizenship. Since they have accepted your application after less than a year, this must have been wrong. Thanks for info.

5 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

I am surprised, as I was told at the time that I have to hold PR for 5 years before applying for citizenship. Since they have accepted your application after less than a year, this must have been wrong. Thanks for info.

Wrong or just one of those vagaries of Thai bureaucracy when different people/departments/bosses etc etc make up & use their own processes!

3 hours ago, onthemoon said:

This is only possible when you have a Thai spouse and you apply to citizenship on the basis of marriage -assuming you meet the conditions-. PR holders that are not married to a Thai national must have a minimum of 5 years of PR before applying.

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

This is only possible when you have a Thai spouse and you apply to citizenship on the basis of marriage -assuming you meet the conditions-. PR holders that are not married to a Thai national must have a minimum of 5 years of PR before applying.

That is my understanding too. I recall there was a bit of a mix up in @Arkady's case as to the basis of his citizenship application, i.e. whether based on PR or marriage, which nearly threw a spanner in the works for him. I think it was a screw up by the SB in his case. Perhaps he could help clear this up. 

Reading what is going on now, I can't help but think how lucky I was to submit my application (7 June 2012), as the process started to get cleaned up under Anupong Paochinda after the 2014 coup. Probably one of a very limited number of positives coming out of that regime. Now it seems like it is going back to the Thaksin times when under Purachai Piumsomboon, a nasty xenophobic hypocrite. Perhaps Anutin is friends with Purachai as they both seem to have a dislike of foreigners.  

• Thumbs Up 1

At 8:30am this morning I picked up my Citizenship Certificate and other documents from the SB 😊😍💯❤️🤗

I immediately went to meet officials at the Chatuchak District Office. They were very nice, reviewed all the documents, made copies, ensured they had the Royal Gazette announcement.

Then they informed me they need photos of me, my wife and the owner of the house registration book, inside and outside of the house, and that they MUST come themselves in person to be interviewed with me and my wife by the Head of the District Office before they will allow registration into the blue book and issue the ID card. They cannot give a POA to anyone.

Unfortunately, I will have to wait until the middle of next month before the head of the district office is available to do this.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Marcati said:

At 8:30am this morning I picked up my Citizenship Certificate and other documents from the SB 😊😍💯❤️🤗

I immediately went to meet officials at the Chatuchak District Office. They were very nice, reviewed all the documents, made copies, ensured they had the Royal Gazette announcement.

Then they informed me they need photos of me, my wife and the owner of the house registration book, inside and outside of the house, and that they MUST come themselves in person to be interviewed with me and my wife by the Head of the District Office before they will allow registration into the blue book and issue the ID card. They cannot give a POA to anyone.

Unfortunately, I will have to wait until the middle of next month before the head of the district office is available to do this.

Congratulations. Seems a bit over the top what they are requiring to clear the last hurdle. I wonder if that is specific to your District Office or this is a new requirement across the board.  Not heard of them requiring this before. 

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, Marcati said:

Congratulations to being a Thai citizen!

Is this the first time you are on that blue tabien baan, or is all this required just to change your naitionality in it?

• Love It 1

8 hours ago, Marcati said:

Congrats.  The district office seems very over the top.  I think Big Joke's grandstanding about naturalized Thai criminals has had an impact.  Let's hope he doesn't make a come back as police chief but that is not at all impossible.

• Love It 2

On 3/15/2024 at 6:28 PM, onthemoon said:

Apparently, the process has changed. That's why there have not been any interviews for 5 months or so

Nope. The new amendments' announced in Jan 2022 have not been implemented as of yet.

They have to be signed by his Excellency and then published in the Royal Gaz, to over ride the old law.

As of today Special Police is still accepting applications for Thai citizenship.

One main change in the new law is that Special Police would no longer accept applications, new candidates would apply at their Local DOPA office.

Whoever told you that the law has changed, ask them the date of the RG publication 

Edited by DrJoy

21 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

Nope. The new amendments' announced in Jan 2022 have not been implemented as of yet.

They have to be signed by his Excellency and then published in the Royal Gaz, to over ride the old law.

As of today Special Police is still accepting applications for Thai citizenship.

One main change in the new law is that Special Police would no longer accept applications, new candidates would apply at their Local DOPA office.

Whoever told you that the law has changed, ask them the date of the RG publication 

It was the DOPA staff who I asked when I could expect to be invited to the MOI interview. They told me that they cannot invite anyone to interviews now, because the Minister said he will change something but had not advised yet what will change. Therefore, it cannot have been announced in the RG.

When is the last time you heard about an MOI interview taking place?