Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

16 hours ago, Kwarium said:

Yep, that’s the best part, especially the way things are going with Imm being in the news all the time!

It seems leaving works, but I would be coming in with an unused fresh clean passport! Should be fine if the machine reader accepts it! I’ll try for the cancellation first, and if it is unmanageable I’ll give em a mai-pen-rai and make a quick run for it with my passport of course.

Good luck with your... waiting! ????

The machine will accept your Thai passport on both your departure and arrivals, regardless of where you've been. All you have to do is scan it, scan your boarding pass (if it has a barcode, otherwise enter your flight number), enter the enclosure, then look at the camera while put your finger on the fingerprint scanner.

If the machine doesn't work for any reason, just go through the Thai passport lane at immigration. Don't worry about the passport being clean - Thais who enter and leave Thailand using the machines do not get their passports stamped, and lots of other countries don't stamp passports either these days. Nobody will look at or care about stamps in your Thai passport.

As a Thai passport holder, you don't have to fill in the annoying TM card either - these were scrapped for Thai citizens a while back.

6 hours ago, dbrenn said:

The machine will accept your Thai passport on both your departure and arrivals, regardless of where you've been. All you have to do is scan it, scan your boarding pass (if it has a barcode, otherwise enter your flight number), enter the enclosure, then look at the camera while put your finger on the fingerprint scanner.

If the machine doesn't work for any reason, just go through the Thai passport lane at immigration. Don't worry about the passport being clean - Thais who enter and leave Thailand using the machines do not get their passports stamped, and lots of other countries don't stamp passports either these days. Nobody will look at or care about stamps in your Thai passport.

As a Thai passport holder, you don't have to fill in the annoying TM card either - these were scrapped for Thai citizens a while back.

No TM card will be the icing on the cake! For now I am going to try for the visa cancellation at the imm office outside Bangkok where I renew. They told my visa lady at work she should go ahead and do my 90 day report first... TIT! Maybe they think it will take weeks or months to cancel it? LOL!

She was also told over the phone that getting a passport from the Srinakarin road (Thanya Place) office is doable and no problem. I may wait until June when the 10 year passports start being issued.

Before MOI, I got a call on a Thursday from a random guy notifying me of my upcoming Monday interview. He had me add him on Line and sent me a letter to take. The mailed letter came a week later, I think. I tried to reschedule as I was headed out of town with guests, He basically had no idea when I would get another crack at it, so I flew back on Sunday to be there on Monday. I later thanked him and never got any reply on line. MOI or SB, I don’t actually know.

The DOPA building in Lumlukka is where the MOI offices are. Got there bright and early, Before 8:00 and had my interview at 1:00 after lunch. 5 minute interview, piece of cake. The guy in charge that day was the ‘friendly one’ and was in a good mood, according to the clerk I was chatting with. 

The only hard part of the whole 4.5 year process is the waiting! Good luck to those in process!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kwarium said:

No TM card will be the icing on the cake! For now I am going to try for the visa cancellation at the imm office outside Bangkok where I renew. They told my visa lady at work she should go ahead and do my 90 day report first... TIT! Maybe they think it will take weeks or months to cancel it? LOL!

She was also told over the phone that getting a passport from the Srinakarin road (Thanya Place) office is doable and no problem. I may wait until June when the 10 year passports start being issued.

Before MOI, I got a call on a Thursday from a random guy notifying me of my upcoming Monday interview. He had me add him on Line and sent me a letter to take. The mailed letter came a week later, I think. I tried to reschedule as I was headed out of town with guests, He basically had no idea when I would get another crack at it, so I flew back on Sunday to be there on Monday. I later thanked him and never got any reply on line. MOI or SB, I don’t actually know.

The DOPA building in Lumlukka is where the MOI offices are. Got there bright and early, Before 8:00 and had my interview at 1:00 after lunch. 5 minute interview, piece of cake. The guy in charge that day was the ‘friendly one’ and was in a good mood, according to the clerk I was chatting with. 

The only hard part of the whole 4.5 year process is the waiting! Good luck to those in process!

If you've got your Thai ID card, I wouldn't worry about misinformation on having to do another 90 day report - you really don't have to bother with any of that nonsense anymore. Just go to immigration, make sure they know you are Thai, and have done with them for ever.

Recommended the passport office on Srinakharin - go there when it opens. I did, and was done in 20 minutes. 

41 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

If you've got your Thai ID card, I wouldn't worry about misinformation on having to do another 90 day report - you really don't have to bother with any of that nonsense anymore. Just go to immigration, make sure they know you are Thai, and have done with them for ever.

Recommended the passport office on Srinakharin - go there when it opens. I did, and was done in 20 minutes. 

PS - on the subject of tying up loose ends, tell the lady who does your visas to cancel your work permit too, immediately. Regardless of any misinformation you might get, tell them that you are now Thai, and you are not allowed to continue using the old nationality to which the work permit is attached. You don't need it anymore.

I can understand a certain nostalgic feeling when cancelling and returning the trusty set of permits upon which you've depended on for so long - I had it too - but you really will be glad to see the back of them once done.

23 hours ago, qualtrough said:

It's been about 7 months since my NIA interview so I probably still have quite a wait for the MOI interview, but I have a couple of questions related to the latter:

1. Does the MOI contact you or the SB?

2. Does whoever contacts you do so by phone, mail, or email?

3. Do they attempt any follow-up if they fail to reach you the first time?

I would hate to contact them a year later only to hear "Oh, we tried to get in touch with you several times about an appointment. You need to start the process again...."

I think you have at least 10 months to wait for the MOI interview, but might be pleasantly surprised.

I was told that the MOI will contact me, by phone, and basically told not to bother the SB and just wait. However, I will bother them again in a month or two, as I've been waiting for 1 year since my NIA interview.

You wouldn't have to start the process all over again if you missed the call.

I how in given plenty notice as I live 500 km from Bangkok.

Also, if like to go to the UK in April, so hopefully won't be called then. As it is songkran time, hopefully not. But IMHO, they would book you on to the next interview if you missed the appointment for whatever reason.

23 hours ago, Rugon said:

Thai immigration can't refuse a Thai citizen entry, even if they don't have a passport, but just an ID card.

True. Similar to the UK, however some airlines might not let one on with no passport or visa for the destination country.

On 1/16/2019 at 9:52 AM, Neeranam said:

True. Similar to the UK, however some airlines might not let one on with no passport or visa for the destination country.

In the case of my son, his Thai ID was enough to show that he didn't need a visa for Thailand. It would be as you say if a Thai/Uk citizen was going to the UK without a passport. 

2 hours ago, Rugon said:

What is the average time from NIA interview to MOI interview?

From what I can gather from reading many pages it's between 2 and 5 years. Can anyone be more specific?

From male applicants who reported in this forum very recently, NIA-MOI waiting time has been of 8, 9, 12 and 15 months (I've excluded those who reported either too fast either too long waiting time).

On my side, I'm +15 months after NIA.

29 minutes ago, bkk_bwana said:

My interview gap took nearly four years!  There was a problem with the documentation and my file was put aside for who knows how long.  Last December, I paid the office in Lamluka a visit to see what was going on, cleared the problem with a few more documents that I emailed them (!!!) and within a month they booked me for the MOI interview.  The officers up at Lamluka were very friendly and helpful.

Thanks for sharing that, it could save others a long wait. I am at 1 year past the NIA interview. I think I'll call them in March to check on my application.

Does anyone know of a number to call?

The people we saw at the interview last month (100% Indian/Chinese/Taiwan and Farang me) had all waited 2-3 years.  You should get a call from SB to say that the documents have moved to MOI.  Suggest that you try the number of the officer at the Police HQ who filed your case.  Did you pay an 'expedition fee' by chance, or just the 5,100 Baht filing fee?

1 hour ago, bkk_bwana said:

The people we saw at the interview last month (100% Indian/Chinese/Taiwan and Farang me) had all waited 2-3 years.  You should get a call from SB to say that the documents have moved to MOI.  Suggest that you try the number of the officer at the Police HQ who filed your case.  Did you pay an 'expedition fee' by chance, or just the 5,100 Baht filing fee?

2-3 years from initial application to MOI sounds longer that others I've heard of.

I never paid an expedition fee, that I remember.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

2-3 years from initial application to MOI sounds longer that others I've heard of.

It sounds correct to me: If we add 2-3 years + 1 year after MOI interview needed to get the approval and complete ID steps, we get 3-4 years in total process which is what has been reported by recent applicants (on average).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

About 13 months for me from initial application at SB to MOI interview. 

This 'expedition fee' sounds like something under the table.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2017 at 10:24 PM, Arkady said:

Applicants for naturalisation under Section 10, whether male or female, are required to submit a document from their district office confirming that they have reserved a Thai name which nowadays they have the option but no longer the obligation to assume when they obtain Thai nationality. Women applying to adopt their husbands' Thai nationality under Section 9, which is not considered as naturalisation, are not required to reserve a Thai name.

I have a question regarding this Thai name.

Has anyone kept the Thai name but also kept their original passports? I could imagine that their would be a problem to renew your US/UK or whatever passport if you have no Thai visa in it.  

I have kept my US passport in my original name. My Thai passport is in my Thai name. I have applied for and received new US passports at US Citizen Services twice since obtaining Thai citizenship. Zero question, zero problem. They don’t care less if you have a Thai entry stamp or visa in your passport whatsoever, apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

I have kept my US passport in my original name. My Thai passport is in my Thai name. I have applied for and received new US passports at US Citizen Services twice since obtaining Thai citizenship. Zero question, zero problem. They don’t care less if you have a Thai entry stamp or visa in your passport whatsoever, apparently.

I am just wondering in what name your ticket is. In order to be admitted to the US, it must be in your original name. But when you leave Thailand, you show your Thai passport, which shows a different name than the boarding pass you also have to show to the immigration officer. Does the discrepancy not raise eyebrows? We read earlier in this thread that you should not show your foreign passport to the Thai immigration officers.

• Like 2

I am just wondering in what name your ticket is. In order to be admitted to the US, it must be in your original name. But when you leave Thailand, you show your Thai passport, which shows a different name than the boarding pass you also have to show to the immigration officer. Does the discrepancy not raise eyebrows? We read earlier in this thread that you should not show your foreign passport to the Thai immigration officers.

The ticket is in my original name, and I use my US passport to check in at the airline counter. Then I use my Thai passport to pass through the electronic turnstiles. Then back to the US passport to board the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

The ticket is in my original name, and I use my US passport to check in at the airline counter. Then I use my Thai passport to pass through the electronic turnstiles. Then back to the US passport to board the plane.

I see, this makes sense. Thanks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

If you have time, could you list the advantages of keeping two names. And, any disadvantages.

34 minutes ago, Rugon said:

If you have time, could you list the advantages of keeping two names. And, any disadvantages.

Is it actually legal when travelling to have two identities, especially in this world of strict terrorism checks?

What about updating bank accounts,etc.

My original name written in Thai was long, convoluted, and messy. Hard for people to spell, and hard to write out. A Thai name makes life much easier. I have not changed my original name in the US as I just haven’t had the time or energy to jump through hoops and go to court, as is required. I have not come across any disadvantages to leaving things as is.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

My original name written in Thai was long, convoluted, and messy. Hard for people to spell, and hard to write out. A Thai name makes life much easier. I have not changed my original name in the US as I just haven’t had the time or energy to jump through hoops and go to court, as is required. I have not come across any disadvantages to leaving things as is.

OK, thanks, it's a decision I will have to make. Would you mind telling me how many years you have lived as a Thai/US person, not encountering any issues?