Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

On 12/28/2021 at 4:39 PM, jayson1 said:

Not to revive an old post, but I expect to soon hear from my Special Branch Case Officer that I can collect the naturalisation certificate (some group as sinthavee). I have already visited the District Office who say that the document from the Ministry of Interior has arrived and booked me in for 14 January at 9am as this is the earliest slot available.

I understand from Section 5 of the Nationality Act that I became a Thai citizen as of the date of publication in the Government Gazette (24 November). I see from others that they have cancelled their visa/permission to stay after getting their ID card.  The issue is that my Thai visa/permission to stay expires this week. So the question is (a) what proof does Thai immigration require to cancel the visa, and (b) what happens if if I go to immigration to cancel the visa AFTER the date it has expired even though my visa was still valid on the date I legally became a Thai citizen. Would I be fined? Has anyone done this before?

NOTE: yes, I realise I could have extended the visa a few weeks ago, but it it is a bit strange to extend the visa after I became a Thai citizen. 

If you don't expect to travel overseas or be in any situation where you have to show your passport with valid visa, such as checking in to local hotel or applying for credit card, you could wing it and just wait for your ID card without dealing with Immigration which I note is an inconvenient trip for you. You would not be doing anything illegal as you are legally Thai but could encounter some hassles without a valid visa or ID card, particularly, if you are stopped at random by cops or  something.  But even for most traffic scrapes the cops only ask for your driving licence. I don't think it is necessary to cancel your visa, particularly if it has expired by the time you get your ID card. That might encourage them to try to charge overstay.  PRs are a different matter.  They obviously have to return their alien and residence books to Immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While going through the documents received from Santiban, I noticed that the covering letter from Bora Deputy Director to Santiban Chief clearly mentioned that 75 foreigners have been granted Thai Nationality & excluded specifically 3 serial nos (Serial # 72, 76 & 78)from the RG notification list of 24th November. #76 & 78 must be from the same family as their sir name & address are same. 

Probably, they are yet to take the oath or might have declined to accept Thai Nationality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arkady said:

If you don't expect to travel overseas or be in any situation where you have to show your passport with valid visa, such as checking in to local hotel or applying for credit card, you could wing it and just wait for your ID card without dealing with Immigration which I note is an inconvenient trip for you. You would not be doing anything illegal as you are legally Thai but could encounter some hassles without a valid visa or ID card, particularly, if you are stopped at random by cops or  something.  But even for most traffic scrapes the cops only ask for your driving licence. I don't think it is necessary to cancel your visa, particularly if it has expired by the time you get your ID card. That might encourage them to try to charge overstay.  PRs are a different matter.  They obviously have to return their alien and residence books to Immigration.

Thanks for responding and the always helpful advice. It is much appreciated.

No plans to go anywhere, apply for anything, and I don't drive. I will get the Naturalisation Certificate on 4 January. I have the Ministry of Interior letter confirming my Thai citizenship which finally arrived today and confirms I am a citizen as of the date of gazette publication.  I think I will just wing and wait to get the ID card and avoid going to Chaeng Wattana to cancel my visa.

I would also like to thank everyone who has commented and provided helpful advice over the years.  I read every post in this thread back in 2014, established when I would be eligible, and applied early in 2018. In reality, the application process is more daunting and bureaucratic than difficult. The process was much easier to navigate after reading this thread. For anyone who eligible and plans to continue to live in Thailand, I would suggest they seriously consider it.

• Like 2

I went down to collect my certificate and the other docs just shortly after Sinthavee. We had hoped on meeting but it didn't come to pass. Next time. Everything was straightforward, and I was handed the docs after signing them (in Thai of course) and then told I am now Thai and instructed not to break the law, among other things. All very friendly as usual. I brought some gift boxes to be distributed as they saw fit.

I then hastened down to our district office, where we found that the woman dealing with this had the letter from the SB or MOI instructing them on my citizenship. I was surprised that she was willing to do that the next day, but as I couldn't get my yellow book owner to come down then it will be next week.

I would just like to give a huge thanks to dbrenn for starting this thread and sharing his experience. He has made such a huge and positive difference in so many lives. I just wish I had seen his post when it first came out because I could have completed it a long time ago. But I had heard all kinds of conflicting stories, even from those who should have known, so I didn't pursue it. Doh!

I would also like to thank all the people here who have provided helpful advice over the years. Pat yourselves on the back!

If anyone ever forms a club of TV citizens who want to get together once a year to toast/host dbrenn count me in!

I am not a good record keeper, but as far as I have been able to ascertain the entire process from start to finish took around 3.5 years for me, given or take a month or two.

BTW, I have not received any MOI letter by mail. I have heard it is hit and miss on that. In any case, not needed, right?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

I went down to collect my certificate and the other docs just shortly after Sinthavee. We had hoped on meeting but it didn't come to pass. Next time. Everything was straightforward, and I was handed the docs after signing them (in Thai of course) and then told I am now Thai and instructed not to break the law, among other things. All very friendly as usual. I brought some gift boxes to be distributed as they saw fit.

I then hastened down to our district office, where we found that the woman dealing with this had the letter from the SB or MOI instructing them on my citizenship. I was surprised that she was willing to do that the next day, but as I couldn't get my yellow book owner to come down then it will be next week.

I would just like to give a huge thanks to dbrenn for starting this thread and sharing his experience. He has made such a huge and positive difference in so many lives. I just wish I had seen his post when it first came out because I could have completed it a long time ago. But I had heard all kinds of conflicting stories, even from those who should have known, so I didn't pursue it. Doh!

I would also like to thank all the people here who have provided helpful advice over the years. Pat yourselves on the back!

If anyone ever forms a club of TV citizens who want to get together once a year to toast/host dbrenn count me in!

I am not a good record keeper, but as far as I have been able to ascertain the entire process from start to finish took around 3.5 years for me, given or take a month or two.

BTW, I have not received any MOI letter by mail. I have heard it is hit and miss on that. In any case, not needed, right?

Congratulations mate!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Congratulations!

Deserving man indeed.

Would you mind sharing your timeline from start to finish?

Thank you DrJoy.

i applied for my PR through BOI one stop service on the last day of deadline(I think it was on 3rd May 2003). After that there was no scheme of PR through BOI.

At that time the fees for PR was about 50,000 Baht & for spouse /child was 25,000 Baht each. However, within a few months of my application, the fee was increased to 194,600 Baht & almost 100,000 Baht respectively.

I got my PR in June 2006(had to pay 194,600 Baht fee). I didn’t take PR for my wife.

I was eligible to apply for Thai Citizenship in 2011(5 years holding the Pr), but I applied  only on 20th July 2018. I had an interview at the National intelligence office around mid November 2018. 

My BORA interview/singing the Thai National Anthem & Phra Bharami was on 21st Sep 2020. After the interview and singing of 2 songs, I was told by the Head of the interview committee that I had cleared it.

I was notified & took  the oath of allegiance on 27th July 2021. 
RG publication of names of  78 people (approved to obtain Thai Citizenship) including mine was published in the RG on 24th Nov, 2021.

I got my Naturalisation Certificate & other relevant papers from SB on 29th Dec, 2021. This is the journey so far for my Thai Citizenship.

i will get my Thai ID card on 7th January from my Khet office.

Then I will apply for Thai passport.

Hope, the above answers your query.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sinthavee said:

Thank you DrJoy.

i applied for my PR through BOI one stop service on the last day of deadline(I think it was on 3rd May 2003). After that there was no scheme of PR through BOI.

At that time the fees for PR was about 50,000 Baht & for spouse /child was 25,000 Baht each. However, within a few months of my application, the fee was increased to 194,600 Baht & almost 100,000 Baht respectively.

I got my PR in June 2006(had to pay 194,600 Baht fee). I didn’t take PR for my wife.

I was eligible to apply for Thai Citizenship in 2011(5 years holding the Pr), but I applied  only on 20th July 2018. I had an interview at the National intelligence office around mid November 2018. 

My BORA interview/singing the Thai National Anthem & Phra Bharami was on 21st Sep 2020. After the interview and singing of 2 songs, I was told by the Head of the interview committee that I had cleared it.

RG publication of names of  78 people (approved to obtain Thai Citizenship) including mine was published in the RG on 24th Nov, 2021.

I got my Naturalisation Certificate & other relevant papers from SB on 29th Dec, 2021. This is the journey so far for my Thai Citizenship.

Thanks

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sinthavee said:

Thank you DrJoy.

I got my PR when it was 50,000 and 2,000 for the application fee.  I charged it to my company and, to my surprise, there was no obection but I probably wouldn't have dared, if it was 194,000 by then.  At the time you mention there was a big uplift in visa fees across the board, as they hadn't been increased in about 20 years.  Also the financial hurdles for retirement and marriage visa extensions were jacked up substantially.  Now we are nearly another 20 years on, there could be another big hike in the offing, particularly since they have starting coming up with pie in the sky schemes for upgrading the financial quality of long stay foreigners.  However, the cost of PR still seems pricy even in today's money.  Citizenship is perversely still a huge bargain and they can only double the current fee without amending the Nationality Act.

7 hours ago, Arkady said:

I got my PR when it was 50,000 and 2,000 for the application fee.  I charged it to my company and, to my surprise, there was no obection but I probably wouldn't have dared, if it was 194,000 by then.  At the time you mention there was a big uplift in visa fees across the board, as they hadn't been increased in about 20 years.  Also the financial hurdles for retirement and marriage visa extensions were jacked up substantially.  Now we are nearly another 20 years on, there could be another big hike in the offing, particularly since they have starting coming up with pie in the sky schemes for upgrading the financial quality of long stay foreigners.  However, the cost of PR still seems pricy even in today's money.  Citizenship is perversely still a huge bargain and they can only double the current fee without amending the Nationality Act.

Few years back, I saw some Ministerial regulation to increase the citz fee to THB 10,000/- but I think it was never enforced.

Not sure, arkady plz confirm

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

Few years back, I saw some Ministerial regulation to increase the citz fee to THB 10,000/- but I think it was never enforced.

Still a bargain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrJoy said:

As far as I recall they increased the maximum fee possible to 10,000 in the most recent amendments to the Act a few years ago, which otherwise had no impact on naturalisation, but, as you point out, they have yet to implement the increase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2021 at 11:38 AM, Arkady said:

[...] I don't think it is necessary to cancel your visa, particularly if it has expired by the time you get your ID card. That might encourage them to try to charge overstay.  PRs are a different matter.  They obviously have to return their alien and residence books to Immigration.

Oh, I see. I thought he would have to cancel his Thai visa in any case, even though it has already expired, to get it out of the MOFA computer that thinks an alien is still in Thailand. A high-tech police BMW might be coming for him.

On 12/31/2021 at 6:45 PM, heiri007 said:

HNY to all you fine people!

Question, anyone knows? Are naturalized Thais automatically covered by Thailand's national healthcare coverage? Or does one have to apply if one doesn't yet have, say, a social security number?

Social security has to be applied

On 12/31/2021 at 6:45 PM, heiri007 said:

HNY to all you fine people!

Question, anyone knows? Are naturalized Thais automatically covered by Thailand's national healthcare coverage? Or does one have to apply if one doesn't yet have, say, a social security number?

If you are still paying into the Social Security system via your employer, you will be covered by that scheme. If, however, you are no longer paying into that scheme, you will be covered by the universal healthcare/Gold Card/30 Baht scheme/or "whatever else it is now called". In the latter case, you will have to use the services of the government hospital/clinic tied to the district where your house registration is located. However, if they are unable to provide the medical care needed, they will refer you to another gov't hospital/clinic where the necessary medical care can be provided. I do believe that you do have to register under the scheme though before you can start using it. I'll find out when I retire at the end of this year. 

Edited by GarryP
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

If you are still paying into the Social Security system via your employer, you will be covered by that scheme. If, however, you are no longer paying into that scheme, you will be covered by the universal healthcare/Gold Card/30 Baht scheme/or "whatever else it is now called". In the latter case, you will have to use the services of the government hospital/clinic tied to the district where your house registration is located. However, if they are unable to provide the medical care needed, they will refer you to another gov't hospital/clinic where the necessary medical care can be provided. I do believe that you do have to register under the scheme though before you can start using it. I'll find out when I retire at the end of this year. 

Thanks Garry - as some sort of backup, would you know where to register?

3 hours ago, heiri007 said:

Thanks Garry - as some sort of backup, would you know where to register?

If you live in Bangkok, you register with the District Office in the district where your house registration is based.  

You can check your entitlement at this website. https://eservices.nhso.go.th/eServices/mobile/login.xhtml

Edited by GarryP
  • Thanks 1

Hello friends, I had my NIA interview in Aug 2020, it was during strict Covid lockdown and held at an outsourced co-working office space named KoKreate in Pradhipat road. I have not heard from anyone since then about the MOI interview. I have never contacted my SB case officer since I was not in a hurry, but I am now getting anxious. Is there anybody here who had his NIA interview around the same time? I was eligible both by way of marraige and PR (5+years), but chose the marriage way.

1 hour ago, saakura said:

Hello friends, I had my NIA interview in Aug 2020, it was during strict Covid lockdown and held at an outsourced co-working office space named KoKreate in Pradhipat road. I have not heard from anyone since then about the MOI interview. I have never contacted my SB case officer since I was not in a hurry, but I am now getting anxious. Is there anybody here who had his NIA interview around the same time? I was eligible both by way of marraige and PR (5+years), but chose the marriage way.

You may check with your case SB officer or call BORA (02-791-7332) and check the status of your application./likely interview month. 

5 hours ago, qualtrough said:

Finally. Received my ID card. Total elapsed time was from 09:30 to 11:30. Lunch break, and then another hour to complete the activities and get the card. Elapsed time from starting the process to now is approx 3.5 years. 

Be sure to bring or have access to the names of your siblings and parents in Thai because they ask for them.

I plan to cancel my WP and Visa soon . Is there anything other than my old passport/new ID card/WP that I need to bring? 

I brought a copy of  my naturalization certificate and house book everywhere i needed to make a change immigration, banks etc. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, saakura said:

I had mine around the same time.  My documents were sent to the MOI in June 2021.  Sadly, I've heard it may be another 2+ years queue before they get to us.  Would love to get a more accurate answer.  Tried calling them already and all they said was "wait for your queue and we will notify you" ><

23 hours ago, saakura said:

@onthemoon was from March 2020 batch, you are much later. When he is called , you may be called shortly after.

You should head down to the Special Police and ask.

• Like 1