Thailand’s Songkran Road Deaths Can Be Avoided

webfact

CFF.jpg

Thailand’s road crashes spike, tragically, at times of festivity, including the Songkran new year festival. Photo by Tatsuya Fukata/Flickr

By Leo Horn-Phathanothai, Claudia Adriazola-Steil and Evelyn Murphy

Too many of us have been personally touched by tragic road crashes that have maimed or killed a loved one. For far too many, Songkran – Thailand’s festival to celebrate the traditional new year – will be a moment not for merriment but for mourning.

Thailand has among the highest rates of road fatalities in the world, ranking top in the region. More people die in Thailand from road crashes in two days than have died from COVID-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. And the numbers, tragically, always spike at times of festivity, including Songkran, when many people are traveling to see family and the traditional dousing of passersby with water causes many crashes. 

The situation is trending in the wrong direction. Despite laudable government plans and efforts – including the 4th Master Plan on Road Safety (2018-2021) – the problem has stubbornly persisted, and indeed road fatalities have increased. During the holiday period at the end of 2020 – a period known as “Seven Deadly Days” – there were 2,748 incidents and 316 deaths, representing increases of 9% and 16% respectively from the same period last year.

Full story: https://thecityfix.com/blog/thailands-songkran-road-deaths-can-be-avoided/

CF.jpg

-- © Copyright The City Fix 2021-04-15

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Ever wondered why there are so many motorbike deaths in Songkran ? Daft woman blurring cyclists vision in the photo is one clue.

16971426119_edfbfa6d95_c-640.jpg

Exactly the same thing happened to me over ten years ago on the first Songkran morning. It was about 8:00 in the morning and needed go into town to pick up something work-related,

I thought I'd miss the water by going early. Big mistake. Came off the motorbike, had my girl friend on the back.

Someone called an ambulance. Police also turned up, by which time the culprit had run away, Police shrugged and weren't interested as it was Songkran-related.

I ended up with a dislocated thumb when the bike hit the ground.

Ever since I don't even leave the house for the entire week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gunderhill said:

No, they don't, in fact they reduce  slightly.

Come  on Ryan  look  up the numbers, Thats 63 a  day on a NORMAL day in Songkran its  often less as has been stated by many when the figures are released you get more on a  non holiday day.

In the latest report by WHO, Thailand ranks ninth among 175 nations in terms of road fatalities – down from second in the 2015 report. The 2018 report says road accidents killed 22,491 people in Thailand 

motorcyclist has a face mask, so pix taken this year, even after the government order not to splash water.

They should have cancel celebration, as they did the last year. Still, some people will travel to visit family or take planned holidays, but it would be on 10x smaller scale.

Instead, the government gave 12th as an extra holiday, as a clear signal for party mood.

Problem with songkran, and the other holidays, that people start drinking early on in the day.

Make songkran shorter and many bad habits will gradually disappear. They had chance to do it this year, after the last year's positive introduction, but they have failed. Too much of traditionalist, conservative mod of thinking.

as to road fatalities - in yearly statistics there should be included also those, who died within 30 days after the accident. The last estimate by WHO was 34k per year, almost 100 per day. The government statistics are flowed 

Edited by internationalism

11 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Ever wondered why there are so many motorbike deaths in Songkran ? Daft woman blurring cyclists vision in the photo is one clue.

16971426119_edfbfa6d95_c-640.jpg

Not daft - Thai. Worse than daft, free while going brainless..

Horrible shirt as well...

6 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

When I was a kid in the USA, we'd throw snowballs at cars.  I got caught one time and was hauled to the police station.  Where I lived, it was a felony crime to throw something at a moving vehicle.  Maybe a 5 year prison term, or more.

Back when I lived in Thailand around 1977-1980, Songkran was much more gentle.  People would ask permission and just dribble a bit of water on you, at least for the elderly and farangs.

I guess you have not seen the old photos of people riding around in a 6x truck with water barrels and dousing people.. But even now if you put up a hand and wiggle it signaling your not playing they will refram from throwing water. I have had this happen many times while riding my bike around.

8 hours ago, gunderhill said:

No, they don't, in fact they reduce  slightly.

I know.  The annual daily fatality average is higher than the holiday fatality days average.  Yet they always get reported like it's a big deal.