The worst thing about Songkran holidays is having to meet the wifes family.... All of whom don't particularly like me.

jack71

11 hours ago, shdmn said:

I gotta wonder why someone would willingly enter into such an arrangement.  With all the stories out there that everyone has heard over and over again you cannot even use naivety as an excuse.

its called love. Maybe something you have never experienced based on your comment?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's been 4 yrs since we moved far away from the Isaan homestead. Wife and kid go back to visit via plane. I stay home. 

If you don't like it at her family's why go?

I kind of like going back to the old town. I have some good memories and very peaceful. Its why I stay in a hotel 

Thai family dynamics can be a bit of a minefield

I never realized this until we moved to Thailand from Singapore. My wife's parents died when she was a teenager, and all she had were two sisters and a brother. 

But then the 'far' family emerged!

For the far family, my wife was the target.

She was the one that got lucky, since after the death of the parents, the kids were farmed out to various relatives, and she was deemed the lucky one since she got to go live with her uncle in Chicago.

So after a US college education, good career, to these vultures she was the money tree who owed them money for her 'good fortune', and I was but additional bonus!.

She was pretty disgusted by it, she essentially have lived most of her life in the West, and Yes I count Singapore as the West, it pretty much estranged her from the 'far family'.

That being said, as is common with Thai families, to this day she still sends money home to help her siblings and her aunt

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 2:16 PM, Excel said:

No different here than anywhere else.

having a grown man ask a child for a massage IS different, to me.

there is soo much creepy stuff with young girls here.......i've heard it soo many times from Thai guys and farangs.......

• Like 1

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

It isn't BS.

Not every Thai family is the same and it cuts both ways. Many farangs don't even try to fit in.

Marriage is a 100% commitment shared  50/50 between the husband and wife.

You seem to be a 100% for yourself and nothing to share of spare for a wife and her family.

50/50?  So like you both become half people.  Yup, that pretty much sums up marriage.

So not being foolish enough to marry a Thai means we are 100% for ourselves.  Ok got it. ????

Edited by shdmn
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, jack71 said:

its called love. Maybe something you have never experienced based on your comment?

If you think you need to be married to show your love that is pretty sad.

Edited by shdmn
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jack71 said:

What is love? IMO it's whatever one wants it to be, but many consider lust to be love till it ends, as it will. I'd rather be a friend than a lover in a marriage, as IMO love doesn't last, but friendship can.