European Super League Mooted , Rejected by EPL

RubbaJohnny

5 hours ago, jellydog said:

Would love to see some marquee footballers step up and call this <deleted> for what it is.

You will see,there are players out there that for them it,s not about the money and this proposed competition devalues every single European League...every league. Players will withold there services and this will not get off the ground imho

5 hours ago, champers said:

Nobody wants it apart from a few greedy and selfish owners. 

Totally agree but I also think UEFA have a part of the blame in this by pushing through the increase of teams in the CL format. They are weakening the competition again and only for money, so they don't really have the right to call anyone. That new CL format will increase the amount of games will have to play as well as cope with their own domestic comps (which the FA never support clubs fixture congestion still in the CL).

From what I read thus far, this new league will be all midweek games so that the clubs can play in their respective domestic leagues. Yes, the FA have said they will ban the clubs and players who partake but it would take a brave man to carry out that threat and ban the top clubs and players in England. The Premier leagues salability would end instantly. No disrespect to the other clubs but countries around the world don't pay big money to watch games like QPR V Crystal Palace etc.

This is going to get messy

• Thanks 1

It's disgusting. I've already removed all future notifications and reminders of upcoming games and news from all these clubs.

I guess you can call it a boycott, and despite being a die hard football fan for 30 years, I'm not even bothered to be honest. If this is how they <deleted> on their supporters, grassroots football, other clubs and the tradition of the sport itself, then <deleted> them.

Football lives on greatly, without them. I'm just expecting and dearly hope FA (from all nations respectively), UEFA and FIFA ban these clubs from all competitions indefinitely, and if possible terminate all contracts these clubs have with players and staff so they can leave on free. If that is possible, and if players and staff don't want to leave then ban them from competing in international competitions.

Same goes to Sky Sports, BT Sport and all other TV networks, if you support these teams by giving them air time, why should I support you when you then become part of the problem? I'm not going to pay my money to you or any of your licenced distributers for you to fund the Super League. Not happening.

I'm ashamed at being a Chelsea fan today.

This is just pure greed by the richest clubs in Europe, with no respect for anybody else.

Thankfully, I just don't see that it will work in it's current format.  If these Premier League Clubs stay in the Premier League and withdraw from the other domestic competitions and Champions League, they will be playing a minimum of 58, and a maximum of 65 matches a season, and the clubs moan now about fixture congestion.  If they didn't play in the Premier League, then thy would only play 20-27 matches a season, and they would be arranging other "super-friendly" matches that nobody is interested in.

With all these matches playing mid-week, fans will have no weekend matches to go to.

I strongly believe that FIFA and UEFA should carry out their threat to ban any player that competes in the new league, from playing in domestic leagues, the Champions League, or international matches, although I don't see that happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HOAX said:

It's disgusting. I've already removed all future notifications and reminders of upcoming games and news from all these clubs.

I guess you can call it a boycott, and despite being a die hard football fan for 30 years, I'm not even bothered to be honest. If this is how they <deleted> on their supporters, grassroots football, other clubs and the tradition of the sport itself, then <deleted> them.

Football lives on greatly, without them. I'm just expecting and dearly hope FA (from all nations respectively), UEFA and FIFA ban these clubs from all competitions indefinitely, and if possible terminate all contracts these clubs have with players and staff so they can leave on free. If that is possible, and if players and staff don't want to leave then ban them from competing in international competitions.

Same goes to Sky Sports, BT Sport and all other TV networks, if you support these teams by giving them air time, why should I support you when you then become part of the problem? I'm not going to pay my money to you or any of your licenced distributers for you to fund the Super League. Not happening.

Sky don't seem to be in favour of this new project, probably because the rights are beyond them price wise.

My guess is that Amazon or Netflix have already done a deal; you don't announce a new league without being sure of its funding, a club doesn't sign up to join without knowing the rewards. 

Netflix have built up a very lucrative, global customer base during Covid.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

From what I read thus far, this new league will be all midweek games so that the clubs can play in their respective domestic leagues.

Correct there is a lot of heat and no detail. As far as I can see the only thing to suffer will be the Champions Cup--which wont be a great loss if it is replaced by some other format. There will be a loss of income for some soft jobs in FIFA and EUFA--hence the fear mongering. I don't know if it will be a good thing because the details are not out there yet to judge.

But I do reflect on the 1980s when someone decided to alter the Cricket format-- same threats to the players --"you cant play for England"  Newspapers= No one wants it...etc

of course it turned out to be the best ever, turned a 5 day boring game into an exciting format.....Lets get more details before we condemn this one.

24 minutes ago, champers said:

Sky don't seem to be in favour of this new project, probably because the rights are beyond them price wise.

My guess is that Amazon or Netflix have already done a deal; you don't announce a new league without being sure of its funding, a club doesn't sign up to join without knowing the rewards. 

Netflix have built up a very lucrative, global customer base during Covid.

Sadly it's all about money of course and auctioning global broadcast rights and merchandise kit made by 3rd world kids to first world fans.

I read in FT , big bank J P Morgan behind it.

https://www.ft.com/content/4cbef20a-7599-4580-82aa-2af383bd0f5a

"Documents seen by the Financial Times suggested that founder members will also be granted €100m-€350m each to join the contest and that they would continue to play in their national competitions, such as England’s Premier League and Spain’s La Liga. With expected revenues of €4bn for the competition through media and sponsorship sales, clubs would receive a fixed payment of €264m a year. JPMorgan declined to comment."

Aside from damage to fans ,leagues we may also see the game alter VAR will increase, Why ?

Well if each review is stretched to 3 minutes you can squeeze in ad slots for the global sponsors, instead of Mansfield Wednesday or Arsenal facing Basingtstoke or Accrington in the Cup and giant killers we'll have efectively millionaires franchises that may even move city like MK Dons.

The EPL is dominated by Americans rich Arabs Russian oligarchs who have never stood on a wet terrace with a warm leg , possibly Bovril, pissibly not , they wouldn't know Dixie Dean from James Dean, Norman Hunter from Harey Norman.

Despite disapproval by many it may happen,

I am old enough to rmember seeing Greavsie at Stamford Bridge beyond the dogtrack, Chico Hamilton at White Hart Lane and Motorhead at Port Vale money has distorted the whole game. Not sure best way forward , almost like it to go amateur as rugby was in good old days.

No foreign owners, no foreign players

Kit to be set for 10 years one strip home one away to stop the impoverisment of poor mums borrwing to buy replica kit each season.

Max wage say 10 x the national minimum .So aroud 100 per hour or 150 per match.

Those who want a galdiatorial type spectacle wrapped with ads and  cheerleaders have plenty of other options.

It'll be interesting to see if EUFA revise the CL format or hold their powder.

Sanctions discssed will be International ban for players or removing teams from EPL etc 

This reminds me of the Dirty Diggers ilk and  transition to digital news and regardless of sport the number crunchers will milk the fans globally to their utmost the complete opposite of sport it is now just biz! Sorry to witter on but a sad day for many.

P.S update

London | Europe’s richest football clubs were on Sunday night (Monday AEST) threatened with expulsion from their domestic leagues and warned their players would be barred from the World Cup if they went through with plans for a breakaway super league.

https://www.afr.com/companies/sport/england-s-big-six-face-expulsion-from-premier-league-over-european-super-league-plans-20210419-p57kb2

• Confused 1

Who is going to be all fired up to watch the same teams week after week? No legitimate underdogs. Just super moneyed clubs with their obvious money making agenda on display every midweek. I can see this whole thing becoming nothing but a tedious and boring farce. Of course if the owners in question get enough initial money out of it they won't care.

When you have the slimeball owners of Real Madrid and Juventus, along with JP Morgan involved in something, you know it is going to stink to high heaven.

I obviously never liked Gary Neville as a player, but without a doubt he's THE BEST pundit out there and nearly always talks sense.

I urge you to watch this video of Neville, he says everything we are all thinking, passionately and eloquently, a brilliant rant. Gary Neville for BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

• Like 2

Just now, Bredbury Blue said:

I urge you to watch this video of Neville, he says everything we are all thinking, passionately and eloquently, a brilliant rant.

What if Sky get the TV rights to the ESL? Will Gary be offered megabucks to be a pundit on the show or has he just shot himself in the foot?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, polpott said:

What if Sky get the TV rights to the ESL? Will Gary be offered megabucks to be a pundit on the show or has he just shot himself in the foot?

Sky are up in arms cos it affects their revenue. Neville was happy when the PL was formed and he was earning a fortune.  I dont believe a single word that comes out of any their mouths

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

UEFA just learning the old Thai saying of "When you get a snake and an American owner of a Premier League team in the room, kill the American owner of a Premier League team".

When you have Stalin, Hitler and Johnson in a room and a gun with only two bullets......shoot Johnson twice.

Worry not chaps. When 100% of the country is against something there is too much opportunity for political point scoring to let this happen.

The Tories should and will jump all over this in an effort to win public approval.

With this and Jose's sacking the really important sporting matters have been forgotten about.... What the hell was that ref doing swearing at Pogba over the weekend?! Disgraceful!

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

The Tories should and will jump all over this in an effort to win public approval.

With Brexit a shambles.....150,000 covid dead......sleaze under the microscope.....chumocrasy running riot......it is this or war with Russia......

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I obviously never liked Gary Neville as a player, but without a doubt he's THE BEST pundit out there and nearly always talks sense.

I urge you to watch this video of Neville, he says everything we are all thinking, passionately and eloquently, a brilliant rant. Gary Neville for BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

Says the bloke whose own wannabe club is funded mostly by a Singapore billionaire, the bloke who changed his club's strip to Man U red from their traditional orange without any consultation with fans, whose club is on their 3rd manager this season and sacked their last manager a week after he led them to their first trophy as an EFL club. Stick your platitudes where the sun don't shine, ratface.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

With Brexit a shambles.....150,000 covid dead......sleaze under the microscope.....chumocrasy running riot......it is this or war with Russia......

Exactly. All they need to do is reign in a few American billionaires and they immediately get credit from all football fans. It's an open goal. Must be counting their blessings. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, champers said:

Says the bloke whose own wannabe club is funded mostly by a Singapore billionaire, the bloke who changed his club's strip to Man U red from their traditional orange without any consultation with fans, whose club is on their 3rd manager this season and sacked their last manager a week after he led them to their first trophy as an EFL club. Stick your platitudes where the sun don't shine, ratface.

Your club went to <deleted> way before this so stop your winging. You are pretty much irrelevant in this discussion. Even more irrelevant than normal.

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Exactly. All they need to do is reign in a few American billionaires and they immediately get credit from all football fans. It's an open goal. Must be counting their blessings. 

Yes, nationalise the Big 6 and hand over majority control to supporters. That will not happen in a million years.

Just now, champers said:

Yes, nationalise the Big 6 and hand over majority control to supporters. That will not happen in a million years.

And that's the only way to stop this then? Thank goodness for the great legal mind that is Champers from the Thaivisa forum 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

And that's the only way to stop this then? Thank goodness for the great legal mind that is Champers from the Thaivisa forum 

Who's rattled your cage? You dissappear from from the red thread leaving Sparkles and Chip Butty outnumbered by your noisy neighbours.

You're both on the naughty step thanks to those nasty foreign owners you have. Everybody hates Man U now (no change there, eh?)

Just now, champers said:

Who's rattled your cage? You dissappear from from the red thread leaving Sparkles and Chip Butty outnumbered by your noisy neighbours.

You're both on the naughty step thanks to those nasty foreign owners you have. Everybody hates Man U now (no change there, eh?)

Just a wild stab in the dark but I'm don't think you need to nationalize football clubs to stop them doing something which is a detriment to the greater good.

Plenty of other ways this could play out. 

Man United represents more than just the interests of an American bloke. I don't think we are any more hated but as you know that's always taken as a compliment.

• Like 1