Thailand reports 1,443 new COVID-19 cases, 4 new deaths

webfact

29 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

As we have seen from every country around the world, if you want to reduce case numbers then you need a hard lockdown and it takes weeks to see the effects of the lockdown.

There has been no lockdown and only a few days since any measures have been implemented and those measures were extremely weak compared to a full lockdown. To think numbers would go down at this stage due to measures taken in the last few days seems completely incorrect to me.

I am not advocating a lockdown, just saying a severe lockdown brings down the numbers and not a half art lockdown..this has been shown in pretty much every country around the world.

I get what you're saying, for the most part lockdowns have shown to work ala Melbourne last year and the UK earlier this year. But there are also more variables at work which give a chance for the restrictions put in place to work.

One is that people are generally self policing. People are largely compliant to wearing masks. And if reports are to be believed, whist many people traveled home during Songkran, many people too cancelled their trips.

Another is that if we compare regional countries that had not gone into full lockdown to control the virus. Both Singapore and Hong Kong have been in similar positions to Thailand and both had similar restrictions on nightlife, restaurants, and bars. Through these measures, both have defeated waves of cases that infected relatively small numbers of its population. And both these places are much more dense population wise compared to Thailand, even to Bangkok. 

A lockdown would indeed bring the cases down much more quickly, but there's evidence that currently restrictions work too.

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by Osthos
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

In the west you always have groups of people still opening up illegal parties and being generally more defiant 

Us here in Europe weren't splashing water a few days ago, with no masks. ????

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So tiring to see this and to know that the 4 deaths could have possibly been prevented had travel been stopped for Songkran.  The sad reality is that 2 were 78 years old, one was 86 and then one was only 30.  Sure the 30 year old was obese and ran with the Thonglor groups, but 30 is still way to young to die had preventive measures been adhered to by the clubs.

The 30 year old was not forced into any Thonglor establishment; he went of his own free will and at his own risk. Sad all the same.

2 minutes ago, lkv said:

Us here in Europe weren't splashing water a few days ago, with no masks. ????

Yeah, instead you have a bunch of covid deniers, anti lock down lunatics gathering in large groups on a daily basis.  
Way to go! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

A private COVID researcher who's been tracking and graphing the situation in Thailand:

Total new cases by day since late March:

56755019_NewCases04-20-21.jpg.41445ca408c7c68611308f5ceed07b57.jpg

https://pmdscully.files.wordpress.com/2021/04/dashboard-covid-19-thailand_april20th2021_pm2.pdf

Along with a government graphic looking at the same case numbers in a different format:

04-20-21i.jpg.18162f8f15dd5d1edc1df18653b1facb.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, lkv said:

Yeah sure, which goes to prove people are people anywhere on this planet, and you should not make Thais sound as if they were holier.

Oh don't you worry, i could write an essay on how unholy they can be.  
Different cultures different beliefs, and mindsets. it;s all part of the experience. 
No culture is perfect.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thailand says has enough hospital space amid new coronavirus wave

2021-04-20T044825Z_1_LYNXMPEH3J04N_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: People queue to be tested for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), as the country deals with a fresh wave of infections after tackling earlier outbreaks, in Bangkok, Thailand April 16, 2021. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai health authorities on Tuesday assured the public there were sufficient hospital beds for the rising number of coronavirus patients, amid a new wave of infections this month that has spread fast across the country.

Thailand's policy of hospitalising all those who test positive for COVID-19, even those without symptoms, has prompted concern about its capacity in the event of a surge in the number of patients with severe symptoms.

Authorities reported 1,443 new coronavirus cases and 4 new deaths on Tuesday, bringing total infections to 45,185 with 108 fatalities overall. Thailand has been credited for its swift containment of earlier outbreaks, but has yet to start mass vaccinations.

The current wave includes the highly transmissible B.1.1.7 variant, which has been blamed for big jumps in infections in many countries, including the Philippines, where hospitals are struggling.

Of the more than 15,000 Thai cases this month, 223 have severe symptoms and 55 of those were using ventilators, said Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a spokesman for the government's COVID-19 taskforce.

The health ministry has asked all hospitals to increase by 50% or double their intensive care capacity to prepare for a possible rise in more severe cases.

There are currently more than 9,000 hospital beds available nationwide, up from 7,000 last week, officials said. Thailand saw record cases on most days last week.

Authorities are also drawing up a plan to allow patients with less serious symptoms to self-quarantine at home, but said this would not be implemented immediately.

The government is currently sending those with mild symptom to field hospitals and hotels that are being converted into care facilities.

(Reporting by Panu Wongcha-um and Panarat Thepgumpanat; Editing by Martin Petty)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-04-20

I'm not really sure why all these people are lining up for testing...unless they need a - test for work or travel purposes. If somebody was at risk of exposure, self isolate for 1-2 weeks and if no symptoms then resume normal activities. If mild symptoms develop, stay in isolation and self-treat, and if serious conditions (high fever, SOB) then present at a hospital for treatment.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

What part of "[she] then developed symptoms" did you not understand?

Nobody has symptoms immediately on being infected. Symptoms develop over time. You can most certainly have CoVid-19 without showing symptoms (that's the very definition of "asymptomatic infection") but you don't die without developing symptoms. However this woman did develop symptoms, as clearly stated in the report.

I get the part about asymptomatic means without symptoms.I also get the part about pre-symptomatic.I also don't get the part where they mentioned what the symptoms were that she developed as it doesn't mention that in the part I read.Many people get asymptomatic infections without developing covid symptoms at all.So if the symptoms she developed were covid symptoms then they would no longer call her asymptomatic.As you say you don't die without symptoms so why call her asymptomatic?They didn't write the report about her dying without symptoms or before she developed symptoms.If she developed symptoms she is symptomatic not asymptomatic.That's what I don't get about "then she developed symptoms" so we called her asymptomatic after she died of symptoms due to covid.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Any walk outside your front door into the Street you will be met with people not wearing Masks or Social Distancing from each other.

Thailands population really are some of the most undisciplined people that I have ever met.

In my village and everywhere I go in Bangkok, I see people wearing masks. Only rarely do I see someone without one. Yes, the distancing part has broken down, but not the wearing of masks as far as I can tell. Elsewhere, even in my wife's remote village, I'm see photos of them all wearing masks. Again, a break down on distancing.  But Thailand has had good support from its people wearing masks, I think.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

It's been very hot and humid here in Phuket the past week...conditions I've read the virus doesn't like.  And yes, on TV there is always the Thailand can't do anything right Greek Chorus to contend with. You have to wonder how much their partners took them for to make them so negative on the place.

Yes, it's pretty sad to be honest. Must be a real bitter bunch! 
I can only imagine how miserable they must be ???? 

Notice how they all jump on certain comments, especially those that  put Thailand in a good light with their little laughing or confused  Emojis, as if it's going to somehow destroy our opinions and beliefs. ????

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, lkv said:

Could have very well been a 30 year old that went to buy Tom Yum soup in the market from an infected auntie that is not aware she is infected, but they had to scapegoat the entertainment industry a bit, with a younger person's death with no preconditions.

As I recall the guy referred to was obese, which I believe qualifies as a precondition, even if he didn't have the tightly associated diabetes type II or heart conditions including high blood pressure

21 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You do know that most people live with 3 or more in the same small condo sharing the entire living space, and many of them work hand to mouth.  Your comment of "If somebody was at risk of exposure, self isolate for 1-2 weeks and if no symptoms then resume normal activities. If mild symptoms develop, stay in isolation and self-treat" indicates to me that you have little clue as to what the consequences would be if they followed your advice.  On top of that it appears you believe that Asymptomatics can not spread the virus or have medical issues down the line.  Sorry you just don't get it, but I will agree to disagree with you on this point.

Just one of a few studies that are fairly recent

New Study Shows How Much Asymptomatic People Spread COVID-19 | HuffPost Life

Year of COVID: Everything We Thought We Knew Was Wrong (webmd.com)

I think you intentionally misread or misunderstood my post...which was people should self isolate if they feel unwell or may have had an exposure episode. Then you went on to restate all that can happen if they don't (which I agree with) thus my initial statement. Thai people, even the lower classes, are very resourceful and I'm confident most could locate a room of their own, relative, or friend to self-isolate in. Of course, many also already live alone. If they were truly destitute, they can present for testing, like those pictured, and if they're positive, be sent off to state quarantine.  I also see from media reports that the government is now considering home isolation/quarantine for positive cases that are asymptomatic or show few serious symptoms. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

Bangkok Hospital Pattaya charge 3,800 baht for a test. Lots of Farangs in Pattaya are sick in Covid but they don´t want to pay 3,800 baht and they don´t want sit in a military truck to Sattahip and be locked in a large dormitories with other patients. Therefore, they stay at home and keep quiet about their illness. How many are sick without the authorities knowing about it ???

If reports like this are true, then I would only start to wonder when and if the Covid testers would start going door to door in condos or to houses or better yet ring the neighborhood with concertina wire when the doors are not opened up for the occupants to be tested in order to stop the spread.  Waiting on the reports of the smell of decaying bodies being reported possibly, and the folks around saying "You know I haven't seen Somchai Joe around for 2 weeks, I wondered what that smell was, thought it was the sewer"

3 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

Bangkok Hospital Pattaya charge 3,800 baht for a test. Lots of Farangs in Pattaya are sick in Covid but they don´t want to pay 3,800 baht and they don´t want sit in a military truck to Sattahip and be locked in a large dormitories with other patients. Therefore, they stay at home and keep quiet about their illness. How many are sick without the authorities knowing about it ???

So if they suspect they are sick with Covid, what is a test going to tell them? They should do what we've been told for a year...stay at home (and isolate in a room if a multi-person household) for two weeks or until symptoms pass. If they develop high fever or SOB, then seek hospital treatment.

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So tiring to see this and to know that the 4 deaths could have possibly been prevented had travel been stopped for Songkran.  The sad reality is that 2 were 78 years old, one was 86 and then one was only 30.  Sure the 30 year old was obese and ran with the Thonglor groups, but 30 is still way to young to die had preventive measures been adhered to by the clubs.

You realise that 500,000 people die each year in Thailand. That's over a thousand a day. Who is responsible for this "sad reality"? Death is a fact of life. Get over it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

If reports like this are true, then I would only start to wonder when and if the Covid testers would start going door to door in condos or to houses

Well, in that case, surely it would make sense for them to provide free testing in the first place? 
But anyway, i think the main concern for most people wouldn't be the cost of the test, but rather the cot of being in hospital for 2 weeks in the case of testing positive? 

Edited by Kaopad999