Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thailand reports daily record of over 2,000 COVID-19 cases, 4 new deaths

webfact

Just now, dinsdale said:

Comlete rubbish. Just admit it. This virus and all its varients doesn't work this way. Within 72 hrs you can contract it then fly without symptoms and be contageous. I.m astounded people still don't understand the very basics of this virus set upon this world from the CCP.

I think rubbish is in your head.

I keep saying that 72H tests reduce the risk, not completely eliminate the risk.

• Sad 3

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

You do realise that these flights people travel on are normally half full with Thai's returning home, Thai's have no legal obligation to get tested before they board the flight to return to Thailand. Those flights are a cesspit of airborne virus and why so many arrive each day infected, probably having caught it on the flights, along with the Thai's bringing back.

Yes I do realise. And I dont think this is correct.

However, even now infection rate from flights, arrivals or whatever is low - only 0.38% of total cases. (well we assume 2000 cases today, but is this the real number?). This is minor % compared to local transmission and illegal migration.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

They've got 10,000 ventilators according to official statement. Currenty they have 91 people on ventilators, if you think they are going to be running out then we really are in trouble and lockdown is even more important to do right now.

Yes its a wasted year, we have the government promoting travel over Songkran to thank for that, now we are living with the consequences of their ridiculous decisions.

Having ventilators is only one piece of the jigsaw, you also need the space to set up ICU beds and the nurses/doctors to run them. ICU is typically one trained nurse to a bed. In the UK we had the ICU beds but were struggling with the medical staff, with reports of lower grade nurses been allocated to look after ICU beds, sometimes multiple beds at one time, not ideal.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Amdesign said:

I think rubbish is in your head.

I keep saying that 72H tests reduce the risk, not completely eliminate the risk.

There should be no risk. Songkran was high risk and the numbers are coming in and people are dying. You want to open the boarders for select people with no quarantine. The science is not in on vaccines and ths virus is changing it's spots. I believe the rubbish is not in my head.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Amdesign said:

The risks should be minimized to reasonable level but can't be completely eliminated. This is how real life works.

They should set workable system; they one they have now with quarantine is not workable.

Not workable for you, but very workable for what the Thai Government wants.  Sure there are some cases that have caused issues, but as I have said you are proposing a plan of action that would submarine Thailand and cause a massive spread of the virus.  Maybe when 80% of the population is vaccinated, but no way in hell now or anytime soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

I thought so at first, but he is dead serious.  Sounds like he is a businessman whos business is suffering.  I do feel for him, but he is way of base with his suggestions.  I mean at one time there were a few on the forum who said just open up, stop the suffering and the imploding of the economy.  It boggles the mind when people advocate for the virus to have free reign.

I might have suggested that in the early days, same as I opposed lockdown here in UK.

It does seem though as if UK actually got the principle right even though the various lockdowns and "tiers" have been bungled.

To the present day, Thailand's lack of vaccination is the biggest thing holding it back - the incompetence, arrogance and laziness there is just astounding!

That in itself, makes a few people throw up their hands and say "just let it happen" but the next few weeks will, IMO be very telling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

They should raise the quarantine back to 14 days the way it was, or beyond.  Lowering it as a pandemic peaks was foolish.

In our office building, there are only 3 companies now, but used to be full one year ago. All others are out of business. Well, bring it back to 14 days, or one month - who cares? Who will pay the taxes and salaries? Kill the economics completely...

Most of countries now do not impose state quarantine for business travellers. Yes, they do not allow tourists.

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Amdesign said:

Yes I do realise. And I dont think this is correct.

However, even now infection rate from flights, arrivals or whatever is low - only 0.38% of total cases. (well we assume 2000 cases today, but is this the real number?). This is minor % compared to local transmission and illegal migration.

How many infected people does it take to start a pandemic?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

04-23-21k.jpg.6c4a4e8b6e63d98aca367b874f179e17.jpg

Even as Thai officials have talked hopefully about soon bringing the nation’s COVID outbreak under control, the pandemic showed even more signs of going in the opposite direction Friday as reported new daily cases reached a record 2,070, total cases surpassed 50,000 and the death toll kept rising.

And that wasn’t the only bad news for the day. In addition to four new COVID deaths reported bringing the country’s total to 121, the government also said a record 19,873 people were now hospitalized for testing positive for COVID. And of those, 352 were said to be in serious condition, a number that has more than tripled over the past six days.

Under the government’s policy, anyone testing positive for COVID is required to go into some kind of hospital-type facility, and the government has scrambled to create thousands of new temporary field hospital facilities to meet the need. But thus far, they’re not keeping up, as complaints of hospital beds being unavailable have mounted and hundreds have been kept waiting for days at home.

“Hospital beds is actually a work in progress, a management in progress, which we’re doing right now,” a government spokesman said, attributing the inability of many coronavirus-infected Thai citizens to find available hospital beds to the public health system straining to handle the processing crush, and not to a lack of actual beds.

Under current conditions, the government spokesman said that Bangkok has enough hospital beds to meet the demand for the coming three weeks, counting traditional hospital beds and the thousands of makeshift field hospital beds and so-called "hospitel" (hospital-hotel) beds that are being pressed into service.

Speaking of the COVID outbreak in the country, the government spokesman added, “The numbers are not that stable, so we have to be very, very careful.”  Earlier in the week, government officials had talked of hopefully bringing the new daily cases number down to near 1,000 in coming days. Instead, Friday’s record new daily case count of 2,070 marked the 10th straight day of 1,000+ new cases reported in Thailand.

Of the cases reported in serious condition Friday, 91 were said to be on ventilators, a number that has more than doubled over the past five days.

In comments midday Friday, a government spokesman said one analysis of Thailand's prospects now suggests that daily new COVID case counts could remain in the 1,800 range through the end of the month. And to guard against the prospect of spiraling numbers of cases with serious medical problems, the spokesman said the Ministry of Public Health is preparing to expand its number of ICU (Intensive Care Unit) beds at government hospitals around the country, if needed.

Those plans, the spokesman said, will include creating ICU beds in temporary, field hospital type settings, something that Thailand has yet to do in the current COVID outbreak. One of the first hospitals slated to expand its ICU facilities will be Rajavithi Hospital in Bangkok, which is run by the Ministry of Public Health and has been one of the central facilities in dealing with the COVID outbreak.

""There is light at the end of the tunnel so to speak...hoping for the best," the spokesman said..

04-23-21h.jpg.84e95d866ec9491091525a2bbbd7f1ff.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/prbangkok/posts/34241215176874

Yes and that light on the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

How many infected people does it take to start a pandemic?

Well now that's an easy question, only 1, but then he is not concerned with that he thinks those are the risks we should be taking.  Think he missed the last year when countries did as he is saying he actually wants, and OMG look at the issues that caused. Not a concern though as he is willing to take the risk so that gains can be made regardless of the cases and lives lost as that is called Risk vs. Reward.  Thailand's reward is keeping the borders shut, slowly rolling out the vaccines and waiting for the money to roll in by investors to clean up the mess they created.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Amdesign said:

Most of countries now do not impose state quarantine for business travellers. Yes, they do not allow tourists.

So all international transmission of new deadly variants threatening the modern world's existence are due to business travellers?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phills2k1 said:

I'm STUNNED there's nobody in here yet to say, "it's only 2,000, what's the big deal??"

In the UK we have around 2,700 cases a day and experts claim we are no longer in a pandemic. 2,700 beats 60,000 daily cases I guess.. Thing is though we have it under control at this point, as opposed to Thailand that could technically exponentially get worse. 

Edited by Mung

4 minutes ago, Amdesign said:

In our office building, there are only 3 companies now, but used to be full one year ago. All others are out of business. Well, bring it back to 14 days, or one month - who cares? Who will pay the taxes and salaries? Kill the economics completely...

Please think about what you are saying. What needs to happen is govt. support. Not piecemeal populist rubbish from this military govt whose focus is on thier own pockets and the pockets of thier mates. Australia has only now opened a travel bubble with NZ. Both countries have been very harsh when it comes to infections and lockdowns and both have tested vigerously. By the way both economies of Aus and NZ are now going ok. Many have suffured and this will continue until this is over. Harsh measures in the short term will benefit the long term. Allowing travel over Songkran has obviously been deliterious, short sighted and irresponsible and you think opening the boarders to business without quarantine is a good thing . I'm sorry but I really don't understand.

o

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

Australia has only now opened a travel bubble with NZ. Both countries have been very harsh when it comes to infections and lockdowns and both have tested vigerously.

They are both on the islands. Thailand is not. This is major difference I explained many times here. Officially closing Thailand will NOT stop the virus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amdesign said:

Legal international arrivals get tested max 72 hours BEFORE DEPARTURE. Now they are NOT TESTED ON ARRIVAL. This is some sort of safety compared to illegal migrants who cross in thousands, without any tests at all.

What I was suggesting is: cancel state quarantine, make test before departure and on arrival. This would be good practical solution workable for migrants, and without travel restrictions imposed on business.

Anyway with current rate of domestic infections quarantine has no sense.

“This is some sort of safety compared to illegal migrants who cross in thousands, without any tests at all.”

First of all you can not prove the numbers on how many illegal immigrants that come here with covid the same way i cant prove how many that come here with covid that slipped under the radar due to the reduced 10 days quarantine. There is a reason why Hong Kong for example have a 21 day quarantine. 

You can argue how much you want but the truth is that closing borders does work. Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Vietnam etc... even AFTER a huge outbreak. 

Second, so instead of those “illegal immigrants that cross in thousands” you would instead prefer TENS of thousands coming in from lets say India, USA or Brazil only if they come here for business purposes? 

Without quarantine? 

Really? 

Do you truly believe you can stop covid coming in by a simple 72 hour and a rapid arrival test? 

You could not even stop covid with a 72 hour test AND a 10 day quarantine. 

You can not only blame this outbreak on illegal immigrants, even though it is convenient for you to do so. 

It is a combination of factors and every factor is as bad. (yes, Including illegal immigrants)

If you would build a wall around Thailand to prevent any illegal immigrants to come here, but then instead you open up for “business travellers” without quarantine, would you really think covid cases coming into Thailand would be less than before? 

Come on... 

With that said, i do admire your determination and im not being sarcastic there. 

Edited by Nismooo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, rabas said:

Quarantine, not testing, prevents new variants from entering from 100+ countries around the world.  Quarantine successfully delayed the UK variant by 4 months. Newer variants will eventually get here.   But now they desperately need as much time as possible to vaccinate the population before the new variants get in.

They should raise the quarantine back to 14 days the way it was, or beyond.  Lowering it as a pandemic peaks was foolish.

Agree 110%, well said.

They are not shut, migrants travel freely and bring in the infections. They are shut only for business people.

So if thats true how do you stop migrants coming in freely? The borders are shut as far as the Thai officials tell us?

What about the migrants that come into Thailand for work/business, or is their contribution to Thailands workforce not as important.

8 hours ago, smedly said:

really ?, do explain

the virus is rampant in thailand for a long time. the government is not doing a good job testing people.

there a few cases showing from testing people. but these cases are from  people checking in the hospital because they are showing the symptoms. 

The government policy should have been buying pfizer  or moderna last December instead depending just on the [local]  pharma company.

Vaccination is the way out and not containment

Edited by onthedarkside
unpermitted reference removed
  • Like 2

They are both on the islands. Thailand is not. This is major difference I explained many times here. Officially closing Thailand will NOT stop the virus.

Closing borders island or not has been one of the major defences against the virus. Mask wearing has also been a major defence as has mass testing and quarantine. We do not know how this latest one has started. Japanese embassy/businessman in Thong Lor maybe. By the way Thailand has been officially closed since March 25 last year.