is tap water safe to drink after boiling it?

BananaBandit

16 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I did the tap thing in laos when i woke up in the middle of the night.....never again.....ugh(gurgle)

You can go to a garden shop or home pro and rig a nice clean filtered water fountain to imbibe ????

Good point.  We might do that.  But for now, we've got 2 water coolers that work just fine.  One is just room temp and mainly for cooking, the other is chilled.  I'm guessing we use 4 bottles a month.  Maybe 5.  So for 250B.  I don't have to worry about filters or anything like that.  Easy...

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 9:40 AM, Dart12 said:

@Jeffr2, I guess it doesn't matter if you are saying RO water, itself, is not healthy to drink.

If that's the case, I won't even research or look into newer studies on the machines.

right now spending a good 3000 baht month on drinking water,  seems like something that I should be able to lessen the expense in some manner.

440 per mth 110 per week 16 bottles per day @ 1.5 litres 24 litres a day ..either you got a large family or you are filling the swimming pool with it lol. 

39 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

440 per mth 110 per week 16 bottles per day @ 1.5 litres 24 litres a day ..either you got a large family or you are filling the swimming pool with it lol. 

6 liter a day personally. partner maybe 3 liter  45/baht per bottle at local grocery.  There are no bigger bottles there than 5 liter (that I've seen)

21 hours ago, Bowwow said:

I'm using a company called Coway.  My cost is 1090 baht a month. This is a RO system with other filters that reduce chlorine and other harmful substances. This price was for the machine plus a 5-yr service plan. All filter replacements and cleaning is included in the price. Their Malaysian website explains more about the filters (but not much) than the the Thai website.

Yeah, do too much moving to get into that plan. But thank you very much for sharing.

28 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

6 liter a day personally. partner maybe 3 liter  45/baht per bottle at local grocery.  There are no bigger bottles there than 5 liter (that I've seen)

buy 6 x 1.5 bottle packs Makro 40 baht for drinking  but buy the large 20 litre bottles 20 baht for cooking we cook a lot so this saves a lot each month

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 4:38 AM, impulse said:

If the issue with the water is microbes, boiling is generally fine.  Unless you have some of the bugs or their cysts that survive high temperature.  But you can filter most (if not all) of those out with proper RO.

If the problem is heavy metals or other chemical contamination (like lead from old pipes or arsenic from groundwater), boiling won't help.

Depends on your source of water, and how you filter it before you boil it.  If you think I'm trying to make it sound a little more complicated than yes/no, you are correct.

In Udon-thani province there is colloidal iron left in the mains water. That's toxic at a certain level. We pay 15 THB for 20 litres RO/UV water. No point in risking it. 

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

buy 6 x 1.5 bottle packs Makro 40 baht for drinking  but buy the large 20 litre bottles 20 baht for cooking we cook a lot so this saves a lot each month

I have not seen anything larger than the 5 liter ones in villa or Central mall.  I'll do a double take next time in though.

21 hours ago, Dart12 said:

I have not seen anything larger than the 5 liter ones in villa or Central mall.  I'll do a double take next time in though.

no mate normally from mom and pop shops local Thai shops if you live in the village they even deliver no charge